I'm torn... PS3 or 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuffMan72

Limp Gawd
About half my friend have a PS3, and the other half have a 360. Pretty much of all them will be playing NHL09.

Both consoles seem to have their advantages and disadvantages. The 360 seems less expensive initially, whereas the PS3 seems to be less expensive in the long run. It also seems that XBL is somewhat superior to PSN, with a larger library of games and members. However, the PS3 has Blu-Ray, which may nicely compliment my home theater system.

I know this thread must have been done more times than <insert something clever here>, but I'm really torn as to which console I should get.

*Wears flame suit*.

I don't know how you've made it on this forum 3 years with threads like this

You haven't really specified what you're looking for in a console. Without any more information, I'd just say get both. I never thought I'd want both (I used to have a PS3, now I have a 360), but I've seen some used PS3s for sale with games and have almost bit more than a few times.

So, what are you looking for?

If you have the money up front, get a PS3 since Blu-Ray interests you. Personally I went the Xbox 360 as the Blu-Ray media is still to high for me but if you have no problem with those prices I would go that route.
I love my xbox 360 but at time of purchase blu-ray still had the same expensive media and more of the games I was interested in were on the xbox.

buy both best of both worlds, i know i sound flip and sarcastic but i am serious, with in a month of buying my PS3 i bought a 360 and i use them both, i didn't like the controller feel for NHL 09 on the PS3 plus EA only had 720p listed for the PS3 version, so i go it for the 360.

i am not saying go out today and buy both, but go buy one either one (i suggest the PS3 for the blu ray) and when you can go buy the other.

What exactly do you want? Someone to come along with a nicely formatted, easily digestable post that solves your entire decision for you? That's not going to happen. Search the MILLIONS of posts on this topic here already. You already have the strengths and weaknesses laid out, the ones that concern you. Make a decision from there.

You can always buy a stand alone Blu Ray player down the road, if you feel like you need one.

I'd take a look at what other games you want to play, and see if that simplifies your decision. I recently picked up a PS3, but i was interested in MGS4 and Wipeout HD. So the decision to go with the PS3 was fairly easy.

The draw of the PS3 being a blue ray player is pretty nice, and was another reason I decided to get one. However, you have to remember that you'll really need an HD display to see any difference.

You obviously have the internet, and know or can easily find out all of the unique features each has, you can get full lists of games, so really what this thread is, is you asking us to tell you what your personal preferences are .... and that's just silly.

Buy the console that has the games and features you want the most.

/thread

+1..BTW,the 360 isnt as cheap as it seems..Once you add it up to the out of box experience of the PS3,the 360 is more expensive..;)

+1
I confirm that the Xbox 360 may be cheaper out of the box but if you add up everything it's a real kick in the balls.

The PS3 I found a better deal once you start adding up other options. Example f you price it out as if you needed wireless, and were ignorant enough to buy the MS Adapter, that was another cost. If you needed the xbox 360 to be black, and didn't buy the elite, you need to add the cost of spray cans so you can paint it. Also the Xbox 360 is limited to DVD media, so comparing to blur-ray media that can store 50GB the costs add up quickly. To break it down you would need to buy the same game on Xbox 360 close to 6 times instead of buying it once on a PS3. I don't know about you, but buying the same game 6 times is an extreme waste of money.

Everyone touts the Xbox live experince as the second coming, but if you add up 8*12=$96 for live per year (if you were ingnorant to buy single cards for every month of the year instead of 40$ if you bought a yearly card), it's real costly. The average person will probably play the console for a good 40 years before they start developing arthritis or kick the bucket, so look at the savings:

Xbox live 96$ per year (once again we decided to buy monthly cards at retail price) * 40 years (average play time before we can no longer play until we either die or cannot due to arthritis or vision loss) = $3840 + $299 (Xbox 360 Pro) + $100 (We need that MS wireless adapter) + $5 (To paint it black)= 4244$ the cost to own a xbox 360 over 40 years

PS3 $399 + 0 (no yearly fees) + 0 (wireless included) + 0 (Already black, no need to paint) = 399$ for the WIN! over 40 years.

Over the last year I have learned many things from the gaming forums:

The PC is cheaper compared to consoles if your a PC Gamer.
The PS3 is cheaper compared to the PC and XBox 360 if your a PS fan.
The Xbox is cheaper compared to the PC and PS3 if your a Xbox fan.
The wii is kicking ass.
There is no way to dispute either of those 4.

Seriously as others have mentioned, you know the options and your just looking for another thread to go down in flames.

+1
I confirm that the Xbox 360 may be cheaper out of the box but if you add up everything it's a real kick in the balls.

The PS3 I found a better deal once you start adding up other options. Example f you price it out as if you needed wireless, and were ignorant enough to buy the MS Adapter, that was another cost. If you needed the xbox 360 to be black, and didn't buy the elite, you need to add the cost of spray cans so you can paint it. The list just goes on and on.

Everyone touts the Xbox live experince as the second coming, but if you add up 8*12=96 dollars if you were ingnorant to buy single cards for every month of the year or 40$ if you bought a yearly card, it's real costly. Example I think the average person will probably play the console for a good 40 years before they start developing arthritis or kick the bucket, so look at the savings:

Xbox live 96$ per year (once again we decided to buy monthly cards at retail price) * 40 years (average play time before we can no longer play until we either die or cannot due to arthritis or vision loss) = $3840 + $299 (Xbox 360 Pro) + $100 (We need that MS wireless adapter) + $5 (To paint it black)= 4244$ the cost to own a xbox 360 over 40 years

PS3 $399 + no yearly fees + wireless included = 399$ for the WIN! over 40 years.

Seriously as others have mentioned, you know the options and your just looking for another thread to go down in flames.

What kind of retarded post is this? We won't be playing 360 in 5 years, let alone 40. Why would you decide to buy 12x 1 month cards for double the price of a single 12 month card? Fanboy much?

Bottom line is this:

PS3 has bluray, doesn't sound like a category 5 hurricane in your living room, and it has a hard hitting title known as MGS4. There's also GT5 coming out at some point in our life times (I hope) and maybe a few other games along the way.

360 has XBL. Unlike PSN, live ACTUALLY WORKS for playing online. It also has more than half a dozen games worth playing.

What kind of retarded post is this? We won't be playing 360 in 5 years, let alone 40. Why would you decide to buy 12x 1 month cards for double the price of a single 12 month card? Fanboy much?

Bottom line is this:

PS3 has bluray, doesn't sound like a category 5 hurricane in your living room, and it has a hard hitting title known as MGS4. There's also GT5 coming out at some point in our life times (I hope) and maybe a few other games along the way.

360 has XBL. Unlike PSN, live ACTUALLY WORKS for playing online. It also has more than half a dozen games worth playing.

Sorry that concept missed you.:rolleyes: Xbox 360 fans don't want to admit it but that platform does cost more. That is why I own 2 of them. An Elite and a Pro:)

I love comments like this :D

You call someone a fanboy yet spout out this drivel....classic!

Xbox Live isn't as expensive as everyone makes it out to be. Buy a one year pre-paid card from buy.com for 38, and get another one when they go on sale for around 30 which happens from time to time. Plus its light years ahead of PSN.

With the recent price drop and the very high price of blu-ray discs, I'd say go with the 360. The two systems have libraries that are 90% the same, and there are fewer and fewer exclusives every year. If you absolutely need to play MGS4 get the PS3. If the only game you care about is NHL '09, get the 360 and buy some DVDs with the money you saved.

Xbox Live isn't as expensive as everyone makes it out to be. Buy a one year pre-paid card from buy.com for 38, and get another one when they go on sale for around 30 which happens from time to time. Plus its light years ahead of PSN.

With the recent price drop and the very high price of blu-ray discs, I'd say go with the 360. The two systems have libraries that are 90% the same, and there are fewer and fewer exclusives every year. If you absolutely need to play MGS4 get the PS3. If the only game you care about is NHL '09, get the 360 and buy some DVDs with the money you saved.

No one makes XBL out to be expensive, it's just ridiculous paying for something competition offers for free.

PSN is plenty fine, and dedicated servers are kind of nice.

The PS3 I found a better deal once you start adding up other options. Example f you price it out as if you needed wireless, and were ignorant enough to buy the MS Adapter, that was another cost. If you needed the xbox 360 to be black, and didn't buy the elite, you need to add the cost of spray cans so you can paint it. Also the Xbox 360 is limited to DVD media, so comparing to blur-ray media that can store 50GB the costs add up quickly. To break it down you would need to buy the same game on Xbox 360 close to 6 times instead of buying it once on a PS3. I don't know about you, but buying the same game 6 times is an extreme waste of money.
The average person will probably play the console for a good 40 years before they start developing arthritis or kick the bucket, so look at the savings:

PS3 $399 + 0 (no yearly fees) + 0 (wireless included) + 0 (Already black, no need to paint) = 399$ for the WIN! over 40 years.
LoL
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. That was the funniest useless kind of reasoning I have ever read.

The wii is kicking ass.

100% agree on this though ^^

@OP:
There has been literally 15+ threads over this exact same issue. How long ago have both console been release? and you still cant make up your mind LoL. If you just do a simple search for "PS3 xbox360" Then you will find a plethora of threads going on about this exact same never ending fanboy boy topic.I am more then sure you can find all the info you need and more over these consoles my simple research in this forum alone.

+1

Everyone touts the Xbox live experince as the second coming, but if you add up 8*12=$96 for live per year (if you were ingnorant to buy single cards for every month of the year instead of 40$ if you bought a yearly card), it's real costly. The average person will probably play the console for a good 40 years before they start developing arthritis or kick the bucket, so look at the savings:

The wii is kicking ass.

Spray paint? Boy some of you are really desperate with this shit, or that was great satire.

I have both. You whiners need to pony up and get the other console.

Sorry that concept missed you.:rolleyes: Xbox 360 fans don't want to admit it but that platform does cost more. That is why I own 2 of them. An Elite and a Pro:)

And ps3 fans don't want to admit that you don't have to buy everything to enjoy a game.
I sure as hell didn't need to buy a butt load of extra stuff to enjoy playing my game.

That said, get a ps3, then wait for xbox720 or whatever that'll come out in 3 or 4 years... its a long wait but I keep looking back and thinking, "Holy shit, its already a year past?" so .... meh. At the very least ps3 is supposedly has 7 or 8 more years to its life left, even if I think thats a huge lie, and it really only got 3 or 4 years left like the 360.

But hey, maybe the sony people will surprise us.... with more crap.

Spray paint? Boy some of you are really desperate with this shit, or that was great satire.

Seriously. I kept going back and forth as to whether that was supposed to be sarcasm. If it wasn't, it was the stupidest post I have ever read.

Seriously. I kept going back and forth as to whether that was supposed to be sarcasm. If it wasn't, it was the stupidest post I have ever read.
Don't make me run the numbers to substitute the spray can for nail polish;)

If you guys haven't caught on I was being sarcastic. Just combining what I have read over the years from different people.

It all goes back to:
The wii is kicking ass.

See below. This was a more recent PC vs Console. I even neglected to include the battery cost for the 40 years to replace the AA batteries in the wireless Xbox 360 controller not to mention the recycling fee associatted with it. Or this can be excluded by buying your own rechargable AA batteries or buying the $14 play n charge kit, but that's not easy to know when you don't own it or familiar with the product. Nor is including the HDMI cable in the Elite, or god forbid you need to buy a 6$ HDMI cable of monoprice.
Personally I don't need to justify it. If the intention was to save money I shouldn't be buying a console or PC, nor should I bought a Yamaha Raptor 350 Quad. They are both hobbies! The point is just look at the game titles and features the different consoles have to offer and make a choice.
Obviously the OP knew this and I was trying to lighten up the mood :p
I have to input maths into this.

Consoles over 6+ years (assume 2 cycles):

launch price = $800 (2x$400 each, usually more, I’ll be gernerous)
controllers = $180 (3x$60, you play with your friend’s right?)
hdmi cables = $40 (we don’t want standard def!)
batteries = $288 (4x12x6, you gotta be kidding me,
f’in xbox controller won’t even last a month….
this is generous @ best for wireless controllers)

Total = $1348 (who the hell said comps are more expensive?)

Let's assume 1:1 console:comp game purchases, with a new purchase every 2 months. Last I checked, average xbox360 game was $60 and pc was $50.

6x6 = 36 x 50 = $1800 for comp.
6x6 = 36 x 60 = $2160 for xbox ($360 more, lol poetic justice)

Comp Total = $3225
Console Total = $3508

Well, look at that. Not only is a pc more customizable, upgradable, and will look a ton better, it costs less….. Let’s not forget xbox live runs you $15/mo (why do i have to pay for a 2nd internet connection = rip off) + arcade game dl’s you can generally get for free on pc.

Consoles are fun, but don’t try to tout them as sure win over a pc.

If it´s just for gaming and a PC is out of the question there is no doubt the 360 have a better gamepad, better visuals due to more powerful GPU. Also easier to develop for. Games as you may have noticed most are multi platform and since the controls are very similar on the Xbox 360 and PS 3 you generally go for the graphics... And even if you don´t go by the graphics the 360 have the better gamepad.

If you are into racing the 360 is awful because of it´s awful wheels though. But that is if you can live with being in a disadvantage since most racing games are optimized for gamepad jockeys and linear steering don´t exist...

This thread is a flame war waiting.

Either way, I own both and play the 360 100x more. PS3 is generally only used for Blu-Ray playback.

It is at present yep, but the gap is getting ever closer. Also remember you have to pay an annual subscription for the privilege too if you wanna play online.

pfft. You pay for what you get. PS3 is just a poor man's network...

The gap is getting ever closer!? You PS3 fanboys are always waiting on your precious PS3 to become something it never will.

The gap is getting ever closer!? You PS3 fanboys are always waiting on your precious PS3 to become something it never will.
I just laugh at your comments! Your a true 200% 360 Fanboy, you need to pull your head out of your ass! Your mission in life is to depend on Hardforum to spread your undying 360 Loyalty, Let no one know competition is getting features just as good if not better than the 360s. On the other hand if thats your god then fair enough!
Im only winding you up btw!

You all suck. As [H] Gamers you need to embrace your [H]ardness... If you are going to be proud [H] forum members you must be fans of ALL...

PSWii60 PC FTW Edition....

So I'm wrong then am I? You don't have to pay for Live to play online, and that Live is in fact better?

Oh yeah your so fuckin obsessed you can't actually read!! I'm flattered but seriously now, take a deep breath, a step back and stop making a cock out of yourself. Friendly advice :) and for free too! MS would never be so good to you!

I will add that the gap IS getting closer, even a raving fanboy can admit it. If you had infact seen PSN version 1.0 > PSN version 2.42 and compared both to Live then you would see for yourself, but I really shouldn't expect any rational kind of reasoning or thought behind your ramblings. FYI PSN v1.0 was nothing more than a friends list, and a totally crippled one.....utter shite for a supposed media hub, if/when it gets as good as Live I'll be chuffed, even better as it's free and all it needs is cross game chat to complete the set as I doubt we will ever see a unified cross game invite system sadly.

with regards to the OP's original question, I would say that you should figure out which group of friends you'd rather play with. Obviously, you can't have both. In the end, it's all about having a good time, isn't it?

And once again we have another PS3/360 flame thread. What's the fucking point in arguing?

Bottom line: Find the system that has the features and games you want and buy it.

Time to put gas on the fire.

Get a Wii it's cheaper than All of them.
250 console
120 3 wii motes
40 2 numbchucks
80 4 classic controllers - yeah no VC without the classic

Only comes out to 490 before tax and Italian fee. great buy seriously don't let that HD and next gen graphics fool you it's all about cutting edge last gen graphics that all the great shovel were can provide and don't forget the 120 bonus for Wii fit the worlds fastest dropped work out routine.

But on a serious note don't buy either and just use your friends console buying a console for a NHL is fucking lame.

If you want to play games, get a 360. If you want to watch HD movies, get a PS3. If you want to be cool like me, own both.

Sorry Tiger, PSN doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Live. Loggahead is spot on. Hopefully one day Sony will improve PSN to Xbox Live levels. If they do, and they decided to charge for it, I would be happy to pay for it. But as it stands now, PSN is worth every penny I pay for it.

Fucksake OP... why don't you actually search and read one of the other 3.2 million threads on the subject? No-one here is going to post any new information that hasn't made it into one of those threads.

Both consoles might as well be virtually identical. Pick the one with the games you like most or better still - buy both.

If you want to play games, get a 360. If you want to watch HD movies, get a PS3. If you want to be cool like me, own both.

Sorry Tiger, PSN doesn't hold a candle to Xbox Live. Loggahead is spot on. Hopefully one day Sony will improve PSN to Xbox Live levels. If they do, and they decided to charge for it, I would be happy to pay for it. But as it stands now, PSN is worth every penny I pay for it.

Right on Hedon! I knew someone had my back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back