iMac with Dual Display?

ampedxc27

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking of gettin a new intel 17" iMac, but I would probably use it dual display. I have a 19" sony xbrite i would use with it, and i know it is taller than the 17 and about as wide. Now for some questions ... Would it feel weird using one widescreen display and one regular display? Is dual display different with mac os x than windows? Does anyone have a setup like this? Tell me how it is. Thanks in advance for any help! :cool:

No way to tell if you will think it's weird without trying.

If by "different" you mean "better"... ;) Just kidding, I have no idea how dual displays work in Windows. In OS X, you just plug the second monitor in, essentially. Setting up which display is the main one and such is a piece of cake: just rearrange them graphically.

I don't think it would be too weird, and as far as I can remember dual displays in osX works about the same as in windows. For a time I was running 4 diffrent sized monitors on my windows box and it wasn't a problem so I dont' see why widescreen would make a diffrence. Now I run one 20.1" widescreen and a 15" normal and have no issues.

I had a dual display set up on my Pc before I moved to Mac... and that was with a 19 inch and a 17 inch monitor...

Although it did help in some ways (Displaying Web pages while I edit them etc) It was quite awkward... and to make a long story short... I would have been better off spending the extra money to get the larger monitor cause I did not use the 2nd monitor that much.

Now the other thing about my monitors was that their Max Res was different... So One was set at 1280 X 1024 , while the other would only get 1152 X 864 which cut off part of the screen that "Should have stretched to the 2nd screen"

Basically if you plan on using applications such as (Graphic, or Video Editing, or any other program that you would Stretch across the 2 screens, try to find one the same size...) if you are just going to use it to look for files with out minimizing another window on the other screen or running music with the visual on one and working on the other then go for it... you shouldnt even realize there is a difference.....

This is my humble opinion......

gaer42 said:
I had a dual display set up on my Pc before I moved to Mac... and that was with a 19 inch and a 17 inch monitor...

Although it did help in some ways (Displaying Web pages while I edit them etc) It was quite awkward... and to make a long story short... I would have been better off spending the extra money to get the larger monitor cause I did not use the 2nd monitor that much.

Now the other thing about my monitors was that their Max Res was different... So One was set at 1280 X 1024 , while the other would only get 1152 X 864 which cut off part of the screen that "Should have stretched to the 2nd screen"

Basically if you plan on using applications such as (Graphic, or Video Editing, or any other program that you would Stretch across the 2 screens, try to find one the same size...) if you are just going to use it to look for files with out minimizing another window on the other screen or running music with the visual on one and working on the other then go for it... you shouldnt even realize there is a difference.....

This is my humble opinion......

you raise a good point, if you have multiple sizes of monitors streaching one window accross them will be wierd. So if you indend to make your windwos span both monitors then yes it will be strange. But if you want to have two windows open that you can see at the same time then it should be fine.

I ran 19" and 17" CRTs together for a time. I never had any problems with them, but I certainly wasn't trying to stretch a single window across both monitors. I usually kept things like IM clients and all the smaller apps on the 17" while coding/viewing websites on the 19". Worked out great for me, and I've been a fan of dual-monitor setups since, but haven't had the opportunity to use them since. I'm definitely considering dual 20.1" LCDs if I put together another PC, otherwise I'll probably just use the built-in 20" on the iMac I intend to buy in the summer.

Just try it out. Once you get used to it, it should be just fine.

i use my powerbook 15" widescreen and a 17" flat CRT all the time, no problems. I use the 17" for my main windows and the powerbook for secondary windows such as tool bars in photoshop, and garageband/logic/ableton. I love it.

personally I never had an issue with different size screens...I have a 21" sony e540 and HAD a 17" NEC LCD grumble grumble wife took that grumble grumble and as for the quesion of one widescreen and one 3:4 I don't see where that would be that big of an issue either.....you are going to have one primary screen and just chose which one you would prefer and stick with that....shouldn't be that big of a deal....I am probably going to get the 20" iMac when Vista comes out so I can play on both sides of the fence ;)

Back