iMac Won't boot

BingeBoy

Weaksauce
My imac 1st gen intel won't boot. I can home the other day and the machine was asleep. I woke it then it just died. I retried to reboot and nothing happened no bios loading no grey screen, no blue screen, no apple nothing.

I then unplugged it had help down the power button to see if that could clear the cmos or what ever they call it in Apple land.

When trying to power up it seems like it tries to boot the front white light comes on for a second then nothing happens. I can hear it a very faint buzz when powering up.

Any ideas whats wrong or what my next test should be? I'm thinking powersupply or logic board. I have blown out a few hds on the macs before and normaly they will try and boot bios and just grey screen.

Ideas for next steps would be great!

Thanks

I think without extensive modification, you'd have to find an iMac power supply, but don't quote me on that.

I have never worked with a imac before. Can I use normal power supply to run some tests or do I need to find a imac power supply on ebay?

http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/~kodawarisan/imac_intel/imac_intel01.html

01141052.jpg

IIRC, power supply is in the upper left hand corner

Thanks for the pic. Wiring looks like it might be a little difficult.

When I try to start it up. I can but my ear to the lower left and hear that fan try to kick in. It clicks and then does nothing. I guess I'll have to find a powersupply on ebay.

I'm sure I'll have to over pay for the part too.

Anyone know if its possible to put a fast chip in the machin while I'm at it?

no warranty or apple care. 3rd mac I've lost in 2 years. I normally only get the warranty for the laptops. This will be my last imac Ive decided to make a hackinosh and have a machine that is expandable.

Just ordered the special bits to open the imac case. I'll report on my testing later in the week when I have the machine opened up.

Back