imacs get Core Duo 2 and a new 24" screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most any, in burst

Yeah... but burst... is alot different than in practice. Although I agree, eSata is the best thing I've ever added to my system. Hd's 2M away in an external enclosure... So useful!

felix88 said:
1 year standard warranty, 3 years with AppleCare. what exactly would you be upgrading that would void your warranty? the RAM is user installable, and if you swap out the HD or optical drive, they just won't cover non Apple part you installed.

Well in my mini the plan is:

replace hard drive with a 100gb 7200rpm drive
Upgrade to 2gb ram
Replace combo drive with pioneer DVD burner
Replace core solo with Merom.

Archer75 said:
I believe the warranty is one year. 3 years if you want to pay for apple care. But then you can't upgrade your machine on your own or it voids the warranty.
In actuality, upgrading a Mac never voids the warranty. As long as you don't break anything and don't remove any "warranty void if sticker removed" stickers, you won't break the warranty just by upgrading.

sfuller said:
Maybe I'm a little slice of the market: I dumped my watercooled 4400X2 with a 7800GTX for a 17" imac a few months ago when they released bootcamp. Since then I've fallen in love with OSX, picked up a macbook and a xbox 360. So I'm a convert now. With all that backstory, I still want to play some PC games, mainly HL2, and neither the 1600 or 7600 can push it. The macpro isn't too bad with is available 1900xt, but I like the imac's design, especially the 24", that's just freakin cool. I can't think of a reason why they can't put something with a bit more oomph in it. Alot of folks on the fence would flock if they dropped a 7800/7900 or a 1900 in there.

k well your 7600 must be high. because my tiny little 6600GT can "push" HL2 @ 1200X1000, with reasonable quality too.

MrWizard6600 said:
k well your 7600 must be high. because my tiny little 6600GT can "push" HL2 @ 1200X1000, with reasonable quality too.

i was gonna say, with my 7600GT i can play HL2 at 1280x1024 with good framerate with most of the eye candy turned on.

MrWizard6600 said:

k well who owns a 7600? I've never used the card. Who owns a 24" imac yet? Anyone?

I have owned a 7800GTX and a 1900XT and they can run HL2 at 1600x1200 with everything pretty much maxed out on a 4400 o'cd to 2.8 ghz.

I currently own a 17" imac with 2gb ram. Read: that is a 1.83 core duo and a 1600 and it struggles with HL2 in XP, using bootcamp.

When you are talking 24", you're talking a bit more than 1600x1200 and that takes more horsepower than a 7600 can "push".

Since I have owned these pieces of equipment and am capable of deductive reasoning, I think that I can rightfully say that the 24" imac is paired with a shitty video card.

B. W. said:
The core-solo Mac mini has been phased out as well.

Bring on the discounts!
Are you suggesting that if I run to the Apple store tomorrow, I can get a killer deal on a Mac Mini with Core Solo?

according to tom's hardware's vga chart (bleh), the 7600gt scores about 94fps in half life 2: episode 1, where as the best x1600 sits at 59fps (the base x1600 pro card, which *i think* is the 20" imac card, sits at 49fps). I've gotta say, your reasoning looks flawed.

sfuller said:
k well who owns a 7600? I've never used the card. Who owns a 24" imac yet? Anyone?

I have owned a 7800GTX and a 1900XT and they can run HL2 at 1600x1200 with everything pretty much maxed out on a 4400 o'cd to 2.8 ghz.

I currently own a 17" imac with 2gb ram. Read: that is a 1.83 core duo and a 1600 and it struggles with HL2 in XP, using bootcamp.

When you are talking 24", you're talking a bit more than 1600x1200 and that takes more horsepower than a 7600 can "push".

Since I have owned these pieces of equipment and am capable of deductive reasoning, I think that I can rightfully say that the 24" imac is paired with a shitty video card.

felix88 said:
i was gonna say, with my 7600GT i can play HL2 at 1280x1024 with good framerate with most of the eye candy turned on.

My 9800xt can run HL2 perfectly smoothly at 1680x1050 with my FX-51 and 1GB of reg ecc PC2100 with everything set to highest but no AA or AF. If the 9800xt can, more modern cards shouldn't even break a sweat.

let's buy a 24" imac and run HL2 at native resolution, 4xaa 16xas with everything else maxed out and see how flawed that is.

Asking for apple to take their video cards seriously isn't totally unreasonable. Right now the lack of horsepower in the 24" imac is keeping me from buying one.

sfuller said:
I think that I can rightfully say that the 24" imac is paired with a shitty video card.

no, you can rightfully say that the 24" imac is paired with a shitty video card for your purposes or for gaming. apple doesn't make gaming machines; they make consumer machines and prosumer machines. what has apple ever done to give you the impression that they're even remotely interested in releasing a computer catering toward the niche gaming hardcore?

when running desktop applications like internet browsers, email clients, chat clients, etc. and doing day to day stuff like watching dvds, listening to music, creating something (like art in photoshop, or a podcast, or authoring a dvd of home movies) the imac shines because that's what it was meant to do. Can the imac run the latest PC games at 1900x1200 with full eyecandy turned on? most likely not, but how many people who actually purchase imacs are really are looking to spend $2000 on a machine to play games? most likely less than one percent of the market (and that's being generous). I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to upgrade the card to something better, it definitely would be, but that's kind of going against the point of an iMac: simplicity.

And as far as the comment about "having the freedom to choose parts" goes, you do have the freedom to: either you buy from apple, choosing the options they provide you, or you buy a PC from somewhere else, it's that simple.

kidicarus74 said:
no, you can rightfully say that the 24" imac is paired with a shitty video card for your purposes or for gaming.

Point taken. Engadget just posted a story on a cube patent, which means nothing other than hope for that gap filler I think alot of us on this thread are wishing for.

Good thing I canceled my order for my 20" I bought, I do digital photo work for a living and need the big screen, I think I'll get that instead :D I make enough money to spend about $4k on a computer if I use it for at least 1 year, so here's what I got:

# 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 3GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x2GB, 1x1GB
# 250GB Serial ATA Drive
# NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 128MB SDRAM
# SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X (US English)
# 24-inch widescreen LCD
# AirPort Extreme
# Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Total: $3000
Yeah, I know it's pricey and I'm only 16, but hey it's about time I got a new comp, haven't had one for 2 1/2 years
It should be here in 5-7 business days, I'll let you guys know whenI get it

TheLordsServant said:
Good thing I canceled my order for my 20" I bought, I do digital photo work for a living and need the big screen, I think I'll get that instead :D I make enough money to spend about $4k on a computer if I use it for at least 1 year, so here's what I got:

# 250GB Serial ATA Drive
# 24-inch widescreen LCD
# AirPort Extreme
# Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Yeah, I know it's pricey and I'm only 16, but hey it's about time I got a new comp, haven't had one for 2 1/2 years

please tell me you didnt spend an additional $750 for ram.

Tutelary said:
please tell me you didnt spend an additional $750 for ram.

okay he didn't....but you know he did.

Could have spent that dough on the 7600GT and still had some left over for RAM at the Egg

mrweasel said:
okay he didn't....but you know he did.

Could have spent that dough on the 7600GT and still had some left over for RAM at the Egg

Dear Lord. Spending that $750 officially qualifies as stupid. Could have gotten the 500gig HD as well as the 7600gt too.

2003161592815373969_rs.jpg

the price you quoted of $3000 is right off the apple website, if you BTO the computer with a 2.33GHz Core2 and 3GB of RAM.

felix88 said:
the price you quoted of $3000 is right off the apple website, if you BTO the computer with a 2.33GHz Core2 and 3GB of RAM.

..who are you talking to in this post? I think we established that was the price already.

Tutelary said:
..who are you talking to in this post? I think we established that was the price already.

you. in your previous post, you said that the total was $3000 for a stock config iMac, sans CPU and memory upgrade.

felix88 said:
you. in your previous post, you said that the total was $3000 for a stock config iMac, sans CPU and memory upgrade.

uhm, no, I didnt.

Tomahawk said:
That's one single 2GB stick plus one single 1GB stick.

A single 2GB stick direct from crucial.com is $1400. http://www.crucial.com/store/MParts....16GHz+Intel+Core+Duo+(24-inch)&WSPN=CT583778

well people are getting raped willingly all over the place then arent they? They increased case size significantly and couldnt put in another ram slot or two along the way? Even the option for another gig at $750 is incredibly stupid in a mid-range consumer system. 1 friggin gig more, its insane.

drizzt81 said:
Are you suggesting that if I run to the Apple store tomorrow, I can get a killer deal on a Mac Mini with Core Solo?
I'm suggesting that you can find a pretty good deal on a refurbished Mac mini from Apple, or buying one on eBay.

TheLordsServant said:

# 250GB Serial ATA Drive
# 24-inch widescreen LCD
# AirPort Extreme
# Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Holy crap! i know you said digital photo work but how do you get so much money at 16? And when you say "for a living" do you mean part time? Or are you homeschooled?

ampedxc27 said:
Holy crap! i know you said digital photo work but how do you get so much money at 16? And when you say "for a living" do you mean part time? Or are you homeschooled?

I've got him beat. I'm only 4 years old and I'm the CTO of a Fortune 500 company. I make $600,000 a year.

It's the internet. He can say whatever he wants. You can't be a "professional" anything at 16, since you can't live on your own and support yourself at that age. All of your income is disposable.

Black Morty Rackham said:
If that 88 is your birth year, you shouldn't be drunk, period. ;)

LOL good point. fortunatly my birth year isn't 88. something about not being able to change your handle on [H]...

TheLordsServant said:

# 250GB Serial ATA Drive
# 24-inch widescreen LCD
# AirPort Extreme
# Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Yeah, I know you're a cheeky bastard and I'm only 9 years old. But hey, shut the fuck up!

At first I thought, wow, I have found my next computer, but if it is Merom I guess I would still go with the Mac Pro. Merom isn't as fast clock for clock as Conroe, Intel really needs to differentiate between the mobile and the desktop processor in the naming scheme. Merom should be Core 2 Duo Mobile or something along those lines.

Yawn. I just bought a 20" monitor to pair with my 1.83 iMac.

Still waiting for a Core 2 tower, Apple...

I'll drop $1500-1900 on that in a heartbeat. But I won't spend another dime on another all-in-one computer. I bought this iMac believing that Apple would produce something better for me in the short term. They haven't done that. So I'll sit here and wait.

NulloModo said:
At first I thought, wow, I have found my next computer, but if it is Merom I guess I would still go with the Mac Pro. Merom isn't as fast clock for clock as Conroe, Intel really needs to differentiate between the mobile and the desktop processor in the naming scheme. Merom should be Core 2 Duo Mobile or something along those lines.

If you enjoy spending $500 on 2 gigs of RAM, go for the Mac Pro.

For 99% of the population, that computer is complete overkill.

Rocketpig said:
If you enjoy spending $500 on 2 gigs of RAM, go for the Mac Pro.

For 99% of the population, that computer is complete overkill.

Isn't that why it's called the Mac Pro and not just the Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back