Image Retention on LCD

Volucris

Gawd
So my Soyo 24" P-MVA panel has some serious image retention. On any page no matter how long it's been off or power cycled, I can see the outline of my firefox bookmark toolbar and task bar. Any idea how to fix this apart from a new screen? Everything is discolored from it.

It can take weeks to go away, but you can try the same kinds of programs as what people use for dead/stuck pixels e.g. UDPixel.

Sorry to intrude on this thread, but I found this rather alarming. I'm new to LCDs, having used CRTs exclusively until very recently. I didn't know that modern LCDs exhibited image retention at all. (My CRTs never did.)

Are some types of panels more susceptible than others?

Last edited:
I have no idea why this panel is susceptable to it. I've used dozens of LCD screens extensively and none have done anything resembling this. I've seen CRTs and ancient LCDs do it but not a "newer" panel such as this Soyo.

Since I do a lot of word processing, web browsing, and movie watching on this screen, I think I'll have to retire this one and get a new panel. Not sure what I could even sell one of these 24" Soyos for granted it has this issue.

Sorry to intrude on this thread, but I found this rather alarming. I'm new to LCDs, having used CRTs exclusively until very recently. I didn't know that modern LCDs exhibited image retention at all. (My CRTs never did.)

Are some types of panels more susceptible than others?

There may be differences between panel types, but the fact of that matter is that LCD is a mechanical technology, employing the twisting motion of crystals to block light. Any material exposed to deformations like this will either return to its previous state or if the internal bonds become too damaged it will take on the new form permanently.

With LCDs keeping subpixels activated in the same way for extended periods of time (days to months) will either temporarily or permanently change the form of the crystals, inducing burn-in. Whereas the phosphors of CRT and Plasma suffer from fading (become less reactive), the crystals of an LCD become damaged through use, though this may take some abuse to become noticable, such as through leaving an image on the screen for a few hours on end.

Back