Image retention on my Dell 3007 LCD?

Limp Gawd
Hi there all.

something strange is happening to my Dell 3007 LCD, it's starting to suffer from image retention !!!! I thought this was impossible for an LCD but it's happening. I can see the icons that sit on the desktop have burned into the panel. Turning it off for a few minutes and back on eliminates the image retention but it returns after a couple of hours.

My second display, a 24" Acer is not affected so it's not the GPU etc playing tricks on me.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening ? I didn't think LCDs suffered from IR or burn-in period....

IPS and PVA are more susceptible to IR than TN panels. Unfortunately, yeah LCDs are susceptible.

Run it with a full white screen for a few hours and that should help clear it up for a longer time. As far as LCD's being immune to image retention, that's an old urban legend that everyone still believes :(.

Yep, the urban legend that LCDs cannot suffer from IR is misleading. It can happen if you're not careful w/ it, it is just that the images aren't permanent like CRTs. Pixels can attain memory if you leave them on projecting a static image for an extended period of time. Once it happens, there's not much one can do to fix it. Persistent images will disappear after certain periods and you may be able to maximize the time that you can have a static image fixed on your screen w/ tricks here and there before persistence kicking in again, but the symptom itself is permanent. I learned this the hard way. Due to this, I always have screensaver kick in after x min and display off after y min. A statement like the purpose of screensavers w/ the introduction of LCD technology has become purely cosmetic is not a very accurate portrayal of facts at all.

Last edited:
Yep, the urban legend that LCDs cannot suffer from IR is misleading. It can happen if you're not careful w/ it, it is just that the images aren't permanent like CRTs.

Burn-in (permanent IR) is definitely possible with LCDs if the image is left on long enough. At that point the crystals will no longer return to the original shape, but will maintain their new shape indefinitely.

Burn-in (permanent IR) is definitely possible with LCDs if the image is left on long enough. At that point the crystals will no longer return to the original shape, but will maintain their new shape indefinitely.

Well if that's true then what I said isn't completely correct. I haven't seen permanent IR in LCD so far yet. Interesting statement though, do you have articles related to PIR on LCD I can read up on?

Last edited:
Permanent image burn in on LCDs is possible, I have achieved it a few times when making LCD projectors.
To prevent it, run the LCD a bit cooler.
Thats all it needs unless the screen is already so badly affected that it is very quick to return.
Blow a fan at the monitor.

As pointed out earlier, most IR can be removed by running a completely white screen for a while, but if the reason it appeared still persists, IR will return.

So screensavers are still useful. I have a blank screensaver that goes on at 10 mins.

A black screen saver on an LCD is not the best idea as all the light is trapped inside the monitor, creating more heat.
It is also the opposite state the LCD panel needs to be in to remove any image retention that has occured.
A pure white (255,255,255) screen is best on both counts.

Back