Imagine Team Deathmatch, In Your Backyard

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don’t know about you but this sounds an awful lot like laser tag (and too much like exercise) for this to catch on with hardcore gamers. What do you think?

We were talking about Battle Tag, which looks an awful lot like Lazer Tag, that late-80s toy shootout game that involved toy guns and vests with sensors. No, Grandjean told me, this is not Lazer Tag. This is more than Lazer Tag. "it is like adding a video game to the realm of toys."

I don’t know about you but this sounds an awful lot like laser tag (and too much like exercise) for this to catch on with hardcore gamers. What do you think?

I don't know about anybody else, but when I simply read the word "exercise" I had a minor cardiac event.

comment on news page site:
I'm so glad ubisoft is developing this and not activision. Activision would take away our dedicated backyards.

ROFL, that just made my day

real men use paintballs.

on another note, you can really see the stagnation in creative ideas that they have to reach back 20 years for inspiration.

For my 30th birthday last year, I went to a laser tag place with a bunch of friends. It was awesome. This, on the other hand, is not.

If it worked well, and they increased the range some, this could actually be a lot of fun.

The power-ups, game types, and computer-run moderation would make it. Making your own fields, placing gun upgrades out in the middle of no-mans land, etc, could be a lot of fun.

It would be like paintball without

1.) having to buy paint constantly
2.) having to completely fuck up the chosen field with paint
3.) having to clean-up
4.) having to wear sweaty, foggy, facemasks

Now, do I think it will actually work well? Probably not.
....But if it did? Badass.

why not just play paintball?

On that note, why not just play Airsoft, cheaper equipment, cheaper consumables (propellant/ammo), easier to store (less bulky), less preparation time when you want to play, less messy.

Having a computer tally up the points and/or health and such? Kind of a nice modern addition.

Buying health packs, ammo packs, and power-ups? Wow, terrible idea.

If anyone really wants to do this, do actual Laser Tag (if you have a center nearby) or get into paintball.

I can't see any home users really going for this on a wide scale at all. Could this supplant current Laser Tag systems used at those centers? Possibly. Those owners might like to charge for power-ups and such. Why not...they're only digital goods!

But it certainly won't begin to challenge any form of video game shooter where I am not limited to just playing with the slobs in my neighborhood.

If its cheap enough i could see this catching on. When I was younger my dad bougth some Electronic Survivor Shot guns, they caugth on in the apartment complex we were living in, almost 30 kids ended up getting them.

Now I play airsoft, but this would make playing on a regular basis easier and cheaper. Im not into the flashy looking fake guns but hey in this day and age they arent going to look like M16's and Glocks....

Another point is, maybe this could psossibly be modded...using airsoft gun bodies, and making magazines work for actual reloads etc. new software could be written and hubs could be networked to expand the playing field?

Another point is, maybe this could psossibly be modded...using airsoft gun bodies, and making magazines work for actual reloads etc. new software could be written and hubs could be networked to expand the playing field?

That sounds sweeet.

This could be a really neat game, I know I could use the exercise (I say as I'm ordering pizza).

Sounds cool, but it would still be missing the physical impact around you. Nothing like getting pinned down behind cover because you can see and hear bullets hitting around around you.

It would be pretty awesome to see a Left4Dead version of this.. Accelerometer and GPS forcing you to stay pinned until tagged by another player on your team... Boomer to make alarms go off for 10 seconds on people that are in range.. I imagine the HUD being something like CoD or Aliens.. Piezo shakers for force feedback

The game could be infinitely adaptable if they play their cards right..

All the youngish people in my family have always been very active, and would really like something like this.. But dear god it needs to be customizable and not cost a fortune to "collect the whole set"

This actually sounds kind of fun, to me...

Get outside and get some fresh air without having to get shot with real projectiles. :cool:

Sounds cool, but it would still be missing the physical impact around you. Nothing like getting pinned down behind cover because you can see and hear bullets hitting around around you.

True that is one of the best parts in Airsoft....

why not just play paintball?

You can play this in more areas. Paintball should be more fun though.

For my 30th birthday last year, I went to a laser tag place with a bunch of friends. It was awesome. This, on the other hand, is not.

A year or two ago a I went with like 3 other friends to a local place that does go karts and laser tag and wasted a morning. Go Karts was sweet as we were the only people using them at the time so we could really screw with each other. By the time we got to laser tag we played a few games with only the 4 of us. Then a birthday party with little kids showed up. Still kinda fun as we managed to get all of the kids to team up on one friend.

If its cheap enough i could see this catching on. When I was younger my dad bougth some Electronic Survivor Shot guns, they caugth on in the apartment complex we were living in, almost 30 kids ended up getting them.

Now I play airsoft, but this would make playing on a regular basis easier and cheaper. Im not into the flashy looking fake guns but hey in this day and age they arent going to look like M16's and Glocks....

Price and how well they work will be a big factor. I had the laser tag set when I was a kid. We modifed the guns to make them work better and so they wouldn't beep every few seconds(which sucked if you wanted to sneak up on someone). We started with a few sets which were a gun and a front sensor. Parents got the upgrade with the back sensor for us later on. Also had this grenade thing that you could setup as a mine. Killed its speaker so you could really fuck with people. Good times.

Anyway don't see my friends and me getting into something like this. We will use paint balls or hit a laser tag place. Could see us getting in a few games if anyone got their kids it though.

Still, it's unlikely this will be anywhere near how cool Laser Quest is.

(If you live in or have been to Spokane, WA, you know what this is. :cool:)

Back