In a time pinch with sharing a folder over a small LAN with XP machines

SBMongoos

[H]ard|Gawd
I have what I call a primary PC that is running Windows XP Pro, I also have a laptop running XP Pro and a desktop running XP Home. All with SP3 installed. I know XP Home has "simple file sharing" and both the XP Pro machines have this enabled by default.

What I want to do is set the My Documents folder on the primary PC to share over the network so the other two machines can access this folder and do as they wish in the My Documents folder on the primary PC. I've done this before but for some reason I cannot get it to work this time. The hard disk had crashed on the primary PC and only files/folders were backed up so a rebuild was necessary.

After sharing (right click on My Documents folder and click on Sharing tab and enable Share This Folder on Network and Allow Netowork Users to Change My Files) the My Documents folder on the "primary PC" and then going to one of the other two PCs and trying to access the My Documents folder on this primary PC I get the following error:

\\DIMENSION\Dimension - My Documents is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process command. or Network path not found.

I would really appreciate any assistance. Thank you in advance..

Last edited:
Back