In Defense of Vista

Just to clarify: I think you're saying "it doesn't go from never crashing into sometimes crashing on its own", which I agree with.

My point is that it seems to have been in the latter category from the outset, and we can't completely eliminate either hardware or software as the reason. I'm not contesting that hardware is definitely more likely.

Couldn't agree more!

Of course, if it came with assorted crapware, I'm not opposed to trying a clean reinstall...

Of course, if it came with assorted crapware, I'm not opposed to trying a clean reinstall...

Why do for the love of peace PC makers DO this?????????:confused: Let's take a great system and screw it up with Norton The Rath of Chaka Khan and PC FudgeUp 2010!!!

The #1 problem with PCs is the retail channel is this and it need to stop!:mad:

That crapware is what drives the cost down... Understandable why they do it, regardless of how much everyone here hates it

That crapware is what drives the cost down... Understandable why they do it, regardless of how much everyone here hates it

It also drives customers away. Your point is valid but if driving the cost down means screwing up the product, well you have a Mac ad scenario and out of all the Mac ads THAT hit the nail on the head and broke the hammer.

This is the #1 problem with PCs in retail.

It also drives customers away. Your point is valid but if driving the cost down means screwing up the product, well you have a Mac ad scenario and out of all the Mac ads THAT hit the nail on the head and broke the hammer.

This is the #1 problem with PCs in retail.

The product is the hardware to me.

But yes, I see your point.

"Buy a Mac"- premium price but it doesn't come with crapware other than the crapware Apple puts on there. Buy HP, Dell, etc: it'll run slow out the gate running useless stuff like "Dell Support".

Yeah. Let me go get the installation DVD that came with it. Oh wait...

That's probably another thing that really hurt Vista. I remember some early Vista laptops only having 1 Gig of RAM. Imagine how slow those ran with all the crapware running + a virus scanner. And guess what gets the blame: Vista

I guess it's something we have to live with on the laptop side though. Otherwise we would be paying near Mac prices.

Even when alternatives are offered, they are limited. For example, I would have ordered the linux model of the hp110 but you have to order the windows model if you want the higher resolution screen. A screen which works perfectly fine in any OS. I just don't see the logic. Unless they just think the cheap bastards want linux. :)

vista worked great for me.
windows 7 crashed and kept freezing.
i hate windows 7.

vista worked great for me.
windows 7 crashed and kept freezing.
i hate windows 7.

That's why your name has "noobie, 7 days" next to it ;). If you'd like help determining the cause of the crash, we can help (in a different thread). If you just want to bitch, feel free to do so, but somewhere else, please.

That's why your name has "noobie, 7 days" next to it ;). If you'd like help determining the cause of the crash, we can help (in a different thread). If you just want to bitch, feel free to do so, but somewhere else, please.

+1. Sorry for your problems but personally I've installed Windows 7 on close to two dozen machines and have yet to experience and major issues, and compared to a lot around here that ain't nothing.

Like Tawnos said, post your problem someone and someone here will more than likely be able to help you.

Back