In Depth Question About Vista

clevarias

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I installed Vista Home Premium on my Laptop using my friends disc and his serial, to try it out and see if I wanted to buy it. Well the 45 days or so ran out and now it needs me to put in the serial again. Well, I cant get the serial again, and I am confused on which Vista I want to buy now. If I get the full version of Windows Vista Ultimate am I wasting my money because I could just use the Vista Ultimate update disc? Or, will I even be able to upgrade without the original product number?

if you upgrade thru windows, his key will no longer work as the license expires and you get the ultimate license. you need to buy yourself a copy.

as far as buying that copy, unless you need the extra networking features that ultimate has (ultimate is a combination of home premium and business), just get home premium.

My Windows is in the "locked out mode" where you have no other option to but to activate. Will it let me update if I put the new Windows disc in my cd-rom drive instead of putting in the original Windows disc's product key?

thanks for the advice about windows

My Windows is in the "locked out mode" where you have no other option to but to activate. Will it let me update if I put the new Windows disc in my cd-rom drive instead of putting in the original Windows disc's product key?

if you entered the key during setup then you're gonna have to activate with that key. otherwise, if you skipped entering the key, you'd have to enter a valid key to activate it. though i keep thinking if you didn't enter a key you'd get a way shorter trial period but maybe i'm wrong.

now that i looked at your OP again i see you did enter that key. you're gonna prolly have to reformat or something. i don't have too much experience with the trial period so i'm not exactly sure how it works. if anyone knows better than i do, they should chime in plz lol

I can't remember exactly where this option is, but somewhere in the Activation Wizard is an option to change the key (maybe when you try to do it by phone). Your best bet might be to try phone activation, see if it works. If not, get someone on the phone and ask them how you change your key.

you can get around the lockout mode and access the registry and command line, so you can set the key to whatever you want.

The whole command and registry line is going to be way to much for me, ha ha. I am just going to get Windows Vista Premium and when it gets here ill try to put in the code if it doesnt then I will call Microsoft.

Back