In search of exotic 2.0 or 2.1 powered speakers

Can anyone recommend some exotic 2.0 or 2.1 speakers? I'd prefer for them to be powered, not separate monitor and amp. The AudioEngine A2, B&W MM-1 and Focal XS are a bit plain. I'm looking for something a bit more exotic. Heres a couple that I've been looking at:

$3200 Bang & Olufson Beolab 3
beolab3_speakers_color2.jpg

$900 Harman Kardon GLA-55
gla-55-thumb-400x359.jpg

$400 Ferguson Hill FH007
fh-main.jpg

The pair I got the electronics died in less than a month. With so many other choices out there I will not be returning as a customer. I guess I let it speak volumes about their quality control. Even at the "low" end of $100 I expected more.

If you're calling B&W and Focal "a bit plain", I don't think there's many options.

These guys are posting Swans for crying out loud. They don't have any idea you're looking at the upper echelon. Sorry, I don't have any useful recommendations to add either.

He's looking at weird looking speakers, not necessarily good speakers.

Small speakers = crap. Always and forever.

P.S. the GLA-55 (I see what they did there! 55=SS! Glass!) is one UGLY speaker.

Last edited:
The OP said he didn't want a separate amp, which means he cares a lot more about them looking exotic than sounding good.

A good 2 channel amp and a pair of largish bookshelves will blow away any of the powered speakers posted, and if you are willing to shell out over 3 grand, you can get some seriously high grade stuff.

The OP said he didn't want a separate amp, which means he cares a lot more about them looking exotic than sounding good.

A good 2 channel amp and a pair of largish bookshelves will blow away any of the powered speakers posted, and if you are willing to shell out over 3 grand, you can get some seriously high grade stuff.

That pretty much sums it up. I admit it, for this setup I'm purely going for aesthetics over sounds quality. So far the Beolab 3's are the most promising.

I would definitely go for a pair of B&W 805 Diamonds if space permitted.

Swans T200b

After owning a pair of M10'S, swan will never get any of my money again.

+1 - Mine broke quickly. Talked with audioinsider on several occasions about repair, they told me they would send a replacement part and I could fix the issue. After the first didn't come, I asked again and they apologized and told they were sending another part. Once neither shipment arrived, I realized that they hadn't shipped anything and were just hoping I'd go away. For $100, I wasn't going to get too bent out of shape - lesson learned, I figure.

I have B&Ws on my HT (600 series powered by McIntosh MC-7205), but I'm not investing in that kind of system at my office on the lenovo that work provides.

+1 - Mine broke quickly. Talked with audioinsider on several occasions about repair, they told me they would send a replacement part and I could fix the issue. After the first didn't come, I asked again and they apologized and told they were sending another part. Once neither shipment arrived, I realized that they hadn't shipped anything and were just hoping I'd go away. For $100, I wasn't going to get too bent out of shape - lesson learned, I figure.

I have B&Ws on my HT (600 series powered by McIntosh MC-7205), but I'm not investing in that kind of system at my office on the lenovo that work provides.

what the hell..... i was gonna get a t200b until i heard what happend to you. I'm sorry you got treated bad by Audioinsider..Well looks like they just lost a potential customer. I was gonna get a pair after hearing my friends m10's. But since the quality sucks that bad, i'll keep these klipsch 2.1's until i upgrade to a HT setup with onkyo's.

Back