Inexpensive PCI Gigabit NIC w/ PXE?

runt

2[H]4U
Ok,
I put my nice Intel PCIe Gigabit NIC into my home server since support for Marvell NICs in Linux isn't as good as for Intel NICs.

Is there a relitavely inexpensive PCI Gigabit NIC with PXE support out there? I'd get another PCIe one, but I decided I want to be able to watch TV on my home computer again and since I have a single PCIe x1 slot, the tuner goes there. I would love to get another Intel NIC, but I don't like the price tag. I currently have a Rosewill RC-400-LX and it works, but I need to get a Gigabit NIC back in the wife's computer (borrowed the Rosewill from hers) and it doesn't do PXE so I can't boot any PXE stuff I have on my home server (Clonezilla & Plop Linux) on my desktop.

There's only about $15 difference between the cheapest NICs on Newegg and the Intel. If you're doing something where you actually noticed a difference with the Intel, I'd personally say it's worth the $15. Skip a couple fast food meals or something to make up the difference.

There's only about $15 difference between the cheapest NICs on Newegg and the Intel. If you're doing something where you actually noticed a difference with the Intel, I'd personally say it's worth the $15. Skip a couple fast food meals or something to make up the difference.

The only thing my Intel NIC did that my Realtek one doesn't is PXE boot. And I'd have to eat fast food to skip the meals.

Have you tried eBay for an Intel NIC? From what I can tell, HP branded NICs use Intel chipsets, and I found one of those for under $15 shipped.

Have you tried eBay for an Intel NIC? From what I can tell, HP branded NICs use Intel chipsets, and I found one of those for under $15 shipped.

One would think I'd remember that since we use HP NICs in our servers.

Back