InifniTV 4 CableCARD tuner is now shipping...!

Sort of.....they dont even have enough units to fulfill all the pre-orders

True... but at least you can physically touch one. There's been so much vaporware and rumors in the media center realm that actually seeing something we've all been waiting for is refreshing... even if production numbers are low on the outset.

Can someone suggest parts for a system designed around this card? I'm assuming I won't need a high end core i7 for an HTPC?

Can someone suggest parts for a system designed around this card? I'm assuming I won't need a high end core i7 for an HTPC?

It would be the same as any media center, just more storage since you can record a ton more. i3, maybe 4gb of ram if you want to go high end media center,

It's on their website:
Ceton said:
The recommended minimum system requirements for the Ceton InfiniTV 4 are:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate
2.0 GHz or faster CPU minimum, either 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x64) – 2.7 GHz or faster dual-core CPU is recommended
2 GB of RAM minimum – 3 GB or more is recommended
1 PCIe slot, which can be either an x1, x4, x8, or x16 type slot
HDCP compliant on-board graphics or graphics card
HDMI out, or DVI out with separate audio out
Multi-Stream CableCARD™ (M-Card) – available from your local cable provider
Digital cable subscription from a U.S. cable provider

It doesn't support Tru2Way which makes it yet another worthless cable card tuner. I'd rather not have to lease a dumb cable box just to have access to comcast ondemand.

Don't think many media center enthusiasts care about Comcast On Demand services. Especially not with Netflix, Hulu, and BlockBuster plug ins available. If you want On Demand, then just lease a Comcast DVR box or something.

It doesn't support Tru2Way which makes it yet another worthless cable card tuner. I'd rather not have to lease a dumb cable box just to have access to comcast ondemand.

Obviously you have no idea what Tru2Way is. You don't want it, its a piece of shit. YOu would be basically 'leasing' a STB on you new Ceton tuner.

Waiting for a 2 port version to come out. When that happens we will probably drop SageTV (unless they figure out the Win7/cablecard hack and make it stable) and just go to recorded TV on one TV and use DNLA display movies/music/etc on other TV's along wih available clear QAM channels if not OTA.

Waiting for a 2 port version to come out. When that happens we will probably drop SageTV (unless they figure out the Win7/cablecard hack and make it stable) and just go to recorded TV on one TV and use DNLA display movies/music/etc on other TV's along wih available clear QAM channels if not OTA.

I want a 2 tuner card also, $400 is just too much for 4 tuners that I personally will never use, I can see a market for it but I would think a 2 tuner $200 card would get more sales.

400 is not that much imho.. When I bought my 2x Tivo HD's I Spent 500ish on the hardware & then a couple hundred more on activation (less then a year ago).. So I am anxiously awaiting being able to drop the 400 on this (will be about the same time that my current tivo sub runs out). Just need to figure out a way to set this up in my WHS & share to htpc's across the house..

I want a 2 tuner card also, $400 is just too much for 4 tuners that I personally will never use, I can see a market for it but I would think a 2 tuner $200 card would get more sales.

The 4 tuner card is just their first, they have already announced they will bring 2 and 6 tuner cards to the market.

The 4 tuner card is just their first, they have already announced they will bring 2 and 6 tuner cards to the market.

except windows 7 can only handle 4 tuners, as far as I know the 6 tuner card was canceled because of this limitation.

Windows can support as many tuners as you can fit, MC only allows 4 of each type unless you have the Advanced Entertainment Pack with allows 8 tuners and 10 extenders to connect.

No the 6 tuner version is for the custom builders. More than 4 tuners of a single type require an Advanced Entertainment Pack which is only available from Microsoft straight to the companies like Cannon PC which build HTPCs.

Can you keep us updated on install? What cableco/tuning adapters you end up using?

I thought about pre-ordering but figured trying to get the local TW cable techs to succeed in installation until more knowledge is out there would be somewhat futile. College football kickoff is in a month, hopefully they will be caught up on demand by then.....

I remember when people use to say they'd never, personally, use more then one analog tuner. At that time I was already running three just to keep up with the small amount of TV I watched.

Can you keep us updated on install? What cableco/tuning adapters you end up using?

I thought about pre-ordering but figured trying to get the local TW cable techs to succeed in installation until more knowledge is out there would be somewhat futile. College football kickoff is in a month, hopefully they will be caught up on demand by then.....

Comcast, no TA's. The install took about 5 minutes. Card works great. It looks a lot smaller in your hand.

I outgrew a 2 tuner setup back in 2005. You'd be surprised how nice it is to have 3, 4 or 5 tuners at your disposal for recording - especially if you have to pad shows due to the funky start times or sporting events running over. The way networks schedule shows these days, you really need 2 tuners just to record 1 show at a time due to the overlaps.

They have stated plan to have a 2 tuner product in the future, but for now, the 4 tuner is likely what will help them recoup the investment of the past several years of their lives and savings... I know I'll buy one once production is in full swing

Im still waiting for the HDHomerun version. Anyone received their beta units yet?

According to the folks over at TGB no other CableCard tuner for the PC has beta'd yet much less been certified so it's likely Ceton will be the only ones in the game until 2011 (not counting the old ATI tuner which is no longer in production anyway).

Im still waiting for the HDHomerun version. Anyone received their beta units yet?

They can't start the beta until they get Cable Labs approval, and if I'm not mistaken, they haven't started that certification process yet....

yeah I believe someone posted on twitter last week that they were headed out to meet with cable labs, but no real word on what exactly they were doing.

Have had my ATI internal cablecard for almost 2 years no and had zero issues with it on Comcast watching HD channels.

So if read everything in their FAQ correctly, you cannot have 1 ceton card in a HTPC, and access the tuners from another HTPC?

You cannot share them but it is possible to have the card in one PC and use it from another since its just a network card.

So if read everything in their FAQ correctly, you cannot have 1 ceton card in a HTPC, and access the tuners from another HTPC?

This is generally correct.

The tuner can only be associated to 1 HTPC at a time, although it can reside in a different box that is actually utilizing it. All 4 tuners can only be used by the PC its associated to, as this is a cable labs requirement.

If you want to watch live tv or copy once protected content, you'll have to view it on the main HTPC or through an extender (i.e. Linksys DMA 2100/2200 or an xbox 360).

I will go the extender route myself. I've had a DMA2200 in house for a few months and have been testing it out with very positive result...

Do you guys know if an extender can be used from outside your own lan?

For instance, do you think I could use my W7 PC to connect via VPN to the remote PC with the tuner and stream the DRM content?

Also, I've never had a digital tuner before. How does the no copy marked files in media center recordings work if say I transferred the file to another computer and tried to play it (error message?)?

Streaming HD content could be rough on your internet connection depending on your upload speeds... MPEG2 HD streams are 6-8Mbps, and not sure the exact mechanic but it won't play.

Do you guys know if an extender can be used from outside your own lan?

For instance, do you think I could use my W7 PC to connect via VPN to the remote PC with the tuner and stream the DRM content?

Also, I've never had a digital tuner before. How does the no copy marked files in media center recordings work if say I transferred the file to another computer and tried to play it (error message?)?

Luckily I've got FIOS 35Mbps up/down.

I dont' see why you couldn't do this. As long as the extender doesn't think its traversing network segments, you'll probably be fine with a VPN.

This is generally correct.

The tuner can only be associated to 1 HTPC at a time, although it can reside in a different box that is actually utilizing it. All 4 tuners can only be used by the PC its associated to, as this is a cable labs requirement.

If you want to watch live tv or copy once protected content, you'll have to view it on the main HTPC or through an extender (i.e. Linksys DMA 2100/2200 or an xbox 360).

I will go the extender route myself. I've had a DMA2200 in house for a few months and have been testing it out with very positive result...

Is it possible to access the card simultaneously, for example, one tv downstairs using the HTPC, while one upstairs accesses the card from an Xbox 360.

I guess my ultimate goal is to be able to use the HTPC and the extender simultaneously while watching and recording at the same time.
1 watching a live programming and recording, while the other is watching another live show and recording another show.

Is it possible to access the card simultaneously, for example, one tv downstairs using the HTPC, while one upstairs accesses the card from an Xbox 360.

I guess my ultimate goal is to be able to use the HTPC and the extender simultaneously while watching and recording at the same time.
1 watching a live programming and recording, while the other is watching another live show and recording another show.

Yes you can share a Live channel that way.

Sharing tuners on same card: http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2010...ner-sharing-and-copy-freely-drm-free-content/

I pre-ordered 3/26/2010 from cannon and still pending.

so according to the article you posted, you can share the 4 tuners with separate HTPCs in your home? That makes this much more valuable in my opinion.

Yep, when/if they release a firmware/driver update. At least I'm assuming it's still locked to one computer right now. I don't know as I don't have the card yet. This may be complicated too as the reading of the article says 'copy freely' channels only. On my ati ocur I have seen OTA channels marked 'copy once' on FiOS. Not a big deal to me tho, I use xboxes in every room with a TV (currently 4) and very happy with this setup.

Back