init 3 hangs up...STILL trying to load drivers

I've been trying to load drivers for about 3 days now for the onboard video on my motherboard. I got CLOSE yesterday but it failed to install the drivers because the installer script from NVIDIA couldn't find a ready made kernel module for my kernel. I tried RPM repositories but I must have done something wrong because yum never finds what I'm asking for. The NVIDIA script said it could build its own module if I had the kernel source but then I never could find out how to get the kernel source. NOW I'm trying to go into init 3 again to try the installer script one more time and it hangs up going into init 3 saying
Starting readahead_early: Starting background readahead: [OK]
Starting irqbalance: [OK]
Starting lm_sensors: [OK]
And then it stops. Nothing happening and nothing going anywhere...anyone know what might be causing that and maybe how to fix it?

You are going to need to install the kernel souces for your distro. (Look in whatever package app you have) usually something like "kernel-source"

I remember having lots of problems with init for unrelated reasons (stuff like usb keyboard not being detected or video modes etc), I usually just start up in straight console mode. (some distros add this as a "safe mode" in the boot loader) or log out of my windowing session and look for a menu that will close the X login manager app. (usually "something console something") ;o)

Nvidia and ati dont want to give out their driver code, so to get around licenses etc they have you compile an interface to their drivers. Hopefully the whole amd/ati merger will eventually lead to open source driver code. (Something intel has already done for one of its onboard gpus)

I'm downloading the kernel source through yum right now via a guide on mjmwired.net. I also managed to drop myelf into init 3 by editing the boot string in grub thanks to a suggestion I got on another forum so HOPEFULLY once the source gets downloaded and I get it installed to the correct places I can rerun the nvidia script and it will build the precompiled kernel module and install the drivers. /me crosses his fingers and prays

While you wait you may want to read up on configuring X, as that will be your next major problem. ;o) (That is unless you like whatever resolution/refresh rate it happens to change into at login)

I'd suggest installing pico/nano -- a great console editor, and links - a console web browser, as it will be nice to be able to go to websites to download random things and edit files without having to go back and forth between kde/gnome for everything.

Back