input 5.1 audio from PS3, output to PC speakers

Transient

[H]ard|Gawd
In my PC I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 running in 5.1 mode with a 5.1 analog speaker setup which is mounted to the walls in my computer room.

I also have a Playstation 3 which runs into the same LCD display as my PC. The PC uses DVI and the PS3 component on the LCD display.

In order to hear the audio of my PS3, I am currently using the standard 2 channel stereo output and running it into the line-in on my PC's sound card which is then set to "monitor mode".

This works fine, however I am interested in fully utilizing the 5.1 speaker setup by connecting the PS3's S/PDIF output to a (currently non-existant) S/PDIF input on my PC.

After doing some reading, I've discovered some people have tried a similar setup and run into some difficulties:

1) some sound cards offer a S/PDIF input that only operates in 2 channel stereo mode

2) some sound cards disable speaker output when a S/PDIF input is connected

What I'd like is some recommendations on a suitable sound card that is able to monitor the S/PDIF 5.1 channel input and in real-time output that to my 5.1 surround speakers.

I'd prefer to keep the costs down and I'm not really interested in buying a home theatre receiver unless I really have to.

If necessary I could run two sound cards since I have ample PCI slots.

Thanks for any advice and opinions.

Back