Insane Character Creation Depth - Black Desert

That is pretty ridiculous. I wonder if there is even a english localization in the works? I'll keep this on my radar as it looks like a better Guild Wars 2.

And then you spend the entire game zoomed out for situational awareness and forget what your dudes face even looks like.

And then you spend the entire game zoomed out for situational awareness and forget what your dudes face even looks like.

Sadly this is probably true after the novelty of it all wears off. But the combat in the game itself looks very good.

Character creation looks great.

Gameplay I cannot say the same for.

Looks like 1,2 button mashing to me with poor AI (I know its Alpha/Beta)

Gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK6B1OcOsKs

via Kotaku.

In all honesty, I like this. It reminds me of TERA Online's real time combat system. I wished FFXIV had it as well. It felt more responsive and fluid.

The one aspect of Black Desert that stands out to me outside of the graphics is the fact that the Archer/Ranger-type job is doing what it should be doing: attacking at range. This is the one thing that annoys me in so many MMOs where the ranged-type job ends up meleeing because the monster runs up to you. In some MMOs, there is no option to dodge or move away from the enemy. So, you become a quasi-melee/quasi-ranged job. FFXIV doesn't have this with their Ranger/Bard hybrid. In TERA, you had the option to move away and keep your distance from the enemy. From what I'm seeing in Black Desert so far, you can still be a ranged job and dodge moves and keep your distance.

Looks pretty nice. EVE Online also has a very nice avatar editor (avatar that you then don`t end up using that much except for taking a nice mugshot from yourself). :p

Expect a lot of emphasis on social elements, maybe? I think this degree of investment on a customer's part means they can make more money more easily by using the attachment to make a very popular chat room with a shiny interface.

Something about the positioning of the third-person camera made me a little nauseous...I think it's too close for how fast the action is? Not sure.

Looks cool though other than that.

It really bothers me though when games have elaborate character creation systems if they have no way to later make changes (or make rather costly in terms of real money or in game time). This a issue I have with MMOs as they've moved towards such character creation systems.

It really bothers me though when games have elaborate character creation systems if they have no way to later make changes (or make rather costly in terms of real money or in game time). This a issue I have with MMOs as they've moved towards such character creation systems.

I agree and disagree with this. While I like the aspect to change things later on, I think there needs to be a monetary cost. Whether in game money or real money. If you are free to change anything at any time you will tend to change it more just for the hell of it. People associate with the look of you character and if it is constantly changing it would take away from the overall feel of the game, in my opinion.

The look people associate however is more generalized as opposed to the fine details. You'll get associated with being say a tall barbarian with black hair and a beard as opposed to a bald dwarf but not that you're using slider setting 47 as opposed to 46 for cheekbone width.

The problem is the latter is what takes the most time (with these new character creation systems) and really matters (well to some) the actual player. Where the issue comes in is you can't actually start playing until you make a char.

I'm not opposed to costs (either in game terms or in real money) but at the same time I think if your service costs are approaching that of the actual game itself or likewise if in game terms it's harder/more time consuming to achieve then actually say acquiring game play effecting end game items, something really should be looked at just from a player/customer experience perspective (whom I kidding $$$$).

Flyby of Black Desert's world in its current state:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92u3W6OG9hQ

It's like looking at Skyrim but an MMO version of it. It's beautiful to look at.

I hope there will be minimum zoning between two areas, and maybe closer to Skyrim's open world areas and only zoning when going into towns. It's one of the many things I liked about FFXIV v1.0. You only had to zone going from Ul'dah to Gridania or Ul'dah to Limsa. The areas felt huge and seamless. It was ambitious but it was far ahead of its time hobbled by a wholly inefficient and un-optimized game engine. The world feels so much smaller in FFXIV ARR v2 with once-large and seamless areas now divvied up into smaller zones like it is in FFXI before it.

It would be nice for once that MMOs move towards zoneless worlds and hopefully on the level of Skyrim's world becomes the norm in MMOs. Even a midrange computer can run Skyrim, so there's no reason it shouldn't be able to run an MMO with seamless zones.

(And, developers need to stop catering to the lowest denominator all the time.)

The characters and animation look really good IMO, way better than skyrim or most other MMO-stick-up-the-butt designs.

that fly through has some serious LOD pop issues, and the motion blur really makes these youtube clips look like a mess (in person it all looks MUCH betteR)... otherwise the scenery looks very nice as well.

I'm impressed so far, maybe not enough to pull the plug on it. Will wait for more feedback on combat and story (if any), those are big issues for me with these kinda games.

I have been waiting for this game too long. I really hope a western developer picks up on this or they decide to expand.

This is my dream MMO. Open world Vindictus :D

Flyby of Black Desert's world in its current state:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92u3W6OG9hQ

It's like looking at Skyrim but an MMO version of it. It's beautiful to look at.

I hope there will be minimum zoning between two areas, and maybe closer to Skyrim's open world areas and only zoning when going into towns. It's one of the many things I liked about FFXIV v1.0. You only had to zone going from Ul'dah to Gridania or Ul'dah to Limsa. The areas felt huge and seamless. It was ambitious but it was far ahead of its time hobbled by a wholly inefficient and un-optimized game engine. The world feels so much smaller in FFXIV ARR v2 with once-large and seamless areas now divvied up into smaller zones like it is in FFXI before it.

It would be nice for once that MMOs move towards zoneless worlds and hopefully on the level of Skyrim's world becomes the norm in MMOs. Even a midrange computer can run Skyrim, so there's no reason it shouldn't be able to run an MMO with seamless zones.

(And, developers need to stop catering to the lowest denominator all the time.)

That isn't likely the issue. Seamless worlds without zoning in MMOs have been around quite awhile and since the relatively early days. Unreal and Cryengine are two somewhat common commercial engines used in MMOs and are capable of seamless worlds (and implemented in games).

I have been waiting for this game too long. I really hope a western developer picks up on this or they decide to expand.

This is my dream MMO. Open world Vindictus :D

They already have plans for a western release.

There is a technical related issue though with translating games to the western market. South Korea has a more advanced internet infrastructure and it's total size in terms of land area is extremely small (with the majority of it's population residing in an even smaller area) compared to the Western market.

That isn't likely the issue. Seamless worlds without zoning in MMOs have been around quite awhile and since the relatively early days. Unreal and Cryengine are two somewhat common commercial engines used in MMOs and are capable of seamless worlds (and implemented in games).

That's the thing: Majority of the MMOs I've played have small zones. TERA being pretty large before zoning, as well as SWTOR. In some though, you can travel the length of maybe 5 to 8 city blocks before hitting a zone border or boundary. In non-MMOs like Skyrim and Crysis, you have wide open areas without even zoning. DayZ and Arma 2 and 3 have even larger areas and can maintain good graphics and framerate while still have wide expanses of open areas, even on a midrange PC system. Even the popular World of Warcraft, you still have to zone between many medium to small sized areas.

I'd honestly would like to see an MMO with one true, open expansive world that feels connected from Point A to Point B. I wish FFXIV left that as it transitioned into ARR v2.0, but they didn't. Now I'm hoping something like ArcheAge and maybe Black Desert will do something that non-MMO games have done for years but start making it more common on the MMO side.

They already have plans for a western release.

There is a technical related issue though with translating games to the western market. South Korea has a more advanced internet infrastructure and it's total size in terms of land area is extremely small (with the majority of it's population residing in an even smaller area) compared to the Western market.

Great news! Everything I have been reading stated that there was no plan for it yet.

Not sure how their infrastructure is a technical issue. NCSoft seems to have been very successful.

That's the thing: Majority of the MMOs I've played have small zones...

I'd honestly would like to see an MMO with one true, open expansive world that feels connected from Point A to Point B. I wish FFXIV left that as it transitioned into ARR v2.0, but they didn't. Now I'm hoping something like ArcheAge and maybe Black Desert will do something that non-MMO games have done for years but start making it more common on the MMO side.

This. It is also one of my hopes for Black Desert.

Last edited:
Wow! That game-play looks amazing! Maybe, tone down the screen jumpiness IMO but other than that... amazing!

That's the thing: Majority of the MMOs I've played have small zones. TERA being pretty large before zoning, as well as SWTOR. In some though, you can travel the length of maybe 5 to 8 city blocks before hitting a zone border or boundary. In non-MMOs like Skyrim and Crysis, you have wide open areas without even zoning. DayZ and Arma 2 and 3 have even larger areas and can maintain good graphics and framerate while still have wide expanses of open areas, even on a midrange PC system. Even the popular World of Warcraft, you still have to zone between many medium to small sized areas.

Ok I see what you are more getting it is not just technically seamless but in design as well.

I feel that the latter however is somewhat pragmatic and has its uses in a MP game though. One issue with a MMO is it somewhat needs to feel populated. Using indirect "chock points" is a design method to address this.

Another thing to consider is a MP experience needs to accommodate with how other players think and interact with each other. Sometimes you need to "force" interaction.

Great news! Everything I have been reading stated that there was no plan for it yet.

Not sure how their infrastructure is a technical issue. NCSoft seems to have been very successful.

Just to clarify regarding that, it was really more of a separate point of dicussion.

The infrastructure issue is related however to getting more action oriented MMOs and how they would actually play in NA compared to say in South Korea. Take FPS games for example, you wouldn't play on a server on the opposite coast. However MMOs need to be centrally hosted and practically speaking at this point they likely cannot have multiple locations across NA.

Hmm... interesting. I'm looking forward to finished game.

Wow Koreans finally have the balls to go beyond the skillbar-wait4cooldown-combat system. Next step: Kill off the grinding and many other MMO elements that plague the genre.

I'm gonna lay down a bet that its 99.9995% that NCSoft will be publishing this game. It looks like a successor to Aion, which is dying off anyway, so they won't have anything competing against it, and they'll do their best to shit all over this game too then.

Wow Koreans finally have the balls to go beyond the skillbar-wait4cooldown-combat system. Next step: Kill off the grinding and many other MMO elements that plague the genre.

Korean MMOs have been much more progressive in the area you're referring to. It's the overall larger core meta game that doesn't seem to change much (what you complain about regarding grinding). Western MMOs tend to be more innovative with the latter.

Keep in mind Korea has a much stronger network infrastructure within a total land area maybe half the size (?) of California, with the densely populated areas likely occupying an even smaller part. While a game in North America will already face massive geographical challenges due to the latency between even a centrally located server cluster and the west/east coasts.

I'm gonna lay down a bet that its 99.9995% that NCSoft will be publishing this game. It looks like a successor to Aion, which is dying off anyway, so they won't have anything competing against it, and they'll do their best to shit all over this game too then.

They've already mentioned the publisher will be the same as the Korean one, same with Europe.

Does NCSoft publish non in house games? I can't recall any.

Back