Inspiron 1420 or Vostro 1400 which and why?

Glow

Supreme [H]ardness
Main things I'm looking for:
Runs cool I dont want anything warm on my lap I hate that. Good battery life, Lighter the better. Which would you go for and why?

They are basically the same thing, except the vostro looks a little more professional. I'd go with the vostro simply because I feel Dell (or any other company) probably makes better business hardware than personal hardware. But, what do I know. :D

I got a vostro 1400 over the inspiron 1420 because for some reason when specc'ed out the same the vostro was a lot cheaper, like 300 dollars cheaper. Plus Dell Business is a lot easier to work with, they are not fools trying to convince you that u need a certain PC that you dont want (this happened with Dell Home, where they tried to convince me the cheap AMD was better than the t7300 i wanted.. fools).

14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display add $0
vs.
14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife™ [Included in Price]

Which is the crappy glossy crap that scratches if a soft microfiber rag touches it?
Which processor/ battery do you have and how long does it last?

The Truelife is the glossy one, which I actually prefer. But, to each his own. :cool:

I'd say go for the 1400. I just cancelled my Insprion 1520 order. After 2 weeks, my order got pushed back for another month and a week. I believe the Inspirons are taking so long because they have to fulfill Wal-mart and Sams Club orders. Vostro's are typically shipping after a week.

The two PC's are essentially the exact same.

Definatley the vostro: cheaper, bought through dell business and IMHO looks way better. Otherwise they're identical notebooks

I ordered the Vostro 1500 over a similarily equipped Inspiron 2 weeks ago and it should be here tomorrow so I'll let you all know how it is. Main reason I got the Vostro is it had the option of Windows XP instead of Vista. Downside was that the biggest HD was a 160GB 5400RPM vs the 250GB 7200RPM on the Inspiron but we'll see how the rest of the system turns out.

But the Vostro does not have the built-in webcam option that the Inspirons have, do they?

But the Vostro does not have the built-in webcam option that the Inspirons have, do they?

i think that is optional, but a VERY VERY big thing is that vostro can be xp or vista and it comes with ABSOLUTELY NO EXTRA SOFTWARE

none of that crappy TRY OUR SOFTWARE, its just clean like after a reformat.

What's your budget? If you're looking at spending around $1300+, you might want to consider a Latitude D630 as well. Currently they're having $400 off systems priced at $1700 or above. A $1700 (currently $1300) Latitude tends to have nicer specs than a $1300 Vostro from my comparison shopping.

I'm also looking into buying a new laptop (long overdue if you check my sig) and the Vostro 1400 is getting a lot of my attention. Very good specs, cheap (got a build for 1000$CAN after taxes) albeit not all the fancy gizmos (T5470, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd, geforce 8400m, wxga+ etc) but for the price... Only thing bothering me so far, is a lot of people on notebookreview.com have had to have their dell's lcd's replaced because of grainyness, but dell doesn't seem to put up a fight about it all that much.

Ordered the Vostro 1500. Came to more than $300 less than an equally equipped Inspiron 1520. :D

But I simply don't understand Dell's pricing strategies :confused:
Does anyone?

Hope mine is not plagued by the infamous high-pitched noise plaguing the current gen of 1520s. :(

i was this close to ordering a vostro 1500 aswell but i saw the sony vaio deal at best buy and couldnt resist...

VGN-N395E

Core 2 Duo 1.73ghz
160gb sata hard drive
1gb ddr2 667 ram
15.4 inch widescreen
Vista home premium

only $649 plus tax...

ive seen the vostro's in person and im glad i got a vaio instead.. the vostro looked like a big ugly block to me.. i know looks arent everything but they come high up the list for me :D

I have a Vostro 1400 and its nice, the black finish is matt all around except for the wrists areas where it seems to be smooth and painted black with flakes, not sure what color flakes they are.

It performs well enough with the 8400, I ran Bioshock on medium settings with lighting effects off with somewhat bearable framerates.

Anyway I reformatted mine but if you dont plan too the Vostros are great because they dont come with that software you always uninstall anyways.

Back