Inspiron Laptop @ $599! Is this a steal or what?

itzhobbes

Weaksauce
Product Features

* Intel® Core™2 Duo mobile processor T5750 with 2MB L2 cache and 2.0GHz processor speed
* 3GB DDR2 memory for multitasking power, expandable to 4GB
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible media

* The next-generation Intel® Core™2 Duo processor is based on the innovative Intel® Core™ microarchitecture, so it runs faster and is more energy-efficient for cooler, quieter operation
* 15.4" XGA widescreen display with TrueLife technology and 1280 x 800 resolution
* 250GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
* Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 integrated graphics with up to 256MB graphics memory as allocated by Windows Vista; Intel® High-Definition 2.0 audio; S-video output
* Top-side media buttons to easily play, pause, stop, fast-forward and rewind at the touch of a button
* Built-in 2.0-megapixel webcam to liven up Internet chat, instant messaging and blogs with color photos and video
* 8-in-1 digital media reader supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Density, Secure Digital High Capacity, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, xD-Picture Card and SDIO formats
* IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer
* Built-in Dell 1395 wireless networking mini-card (802.11b/g); Dell's advanced antenna design features 3 antennas to find and connect to networks with ease, delivering enhanced wireless reception; standard Wi-Fi Catcher to quickly locate wireless hotspots
* Integrated 10/100 Ethernet network card; 56 Kbps modem
* Jet black design adds a unique look to the laptop case
* Weighs 6.2 lbs. and measures 1"–1.5" thin for portable power; 6-cell lithium-ion battery
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled; software package included with Microsoft Works 9 and Roxio Creator Basic
* Learn more about Windows Vista

So at $599, do you guys think this is a bargain? Keep in mind that I'm only going to be using this laptop for school work, browsing the web and maybe some photoshop. Thanks.

It's an OK deal. If you don't mind only a 1280x800 screen (with Photoshop... ugh), it should be pretty decent.

My experience will Dell laptops have been pretty good. Our first laptop was a Dell 1505 I got for my wife in early 2006. Only problem we had with it was after about 8 months the lights on the battery started blinking orange but the battery still worked. Got a hold of support and a new battery was at the door step in less then 48 hours. Other than that its been rock solid to this day.

A few months ago I decided I wanted a laptop, and got a really good deal for a Dell Vostro 1500. Only thing I have done to it was to take the 2GBs of ram that was in the vostro and upgrade my wifes e1505 from 1GB to 2GBs. I bought a G.Skill 4GB kit for my Vostro. I then wiped the vista x86 it came with and reinstalled using a x64 Vista disk. Its rock solid running Vista Basic x64.

The Dell laptop specs you posted is a decent deal for $599. The Vostro I have also has a 1280x800 screen and I do not have any problem with it at all.

Lenovo Thinkpads or Dells are the only 2 manufactures I consider when buying a new laptop because of their build quality and warranty support.

I think you will be happy with it. If not Dell lets you return it for a full refund with in 30 days.

What model Dell is the laptop?

thats actually a pretty good deal for 599 you'd be lucky to find a similar laptop at that price point. and yes +1 for dell's support as of late i had my power cord die on me and had one overnighted to me and along with a bad hardrive support was stellar throughout the process with my Inspiron 1501 from '06 sadly only 4 more months of the warranty left lol.

That's a pretty good model. The recent Inspirons are built very solidly, so I wouldn't have any reservations about it. For that price, you're not likely to find anything better.

Lot's wrong, it's a Dell = too many negatives to post.

mmk. never had a problem with them and i've had more than one. i'm sure a lot of ppl can say the same. course that comes with PC manufacturers. if you build it yourself then you're the one to blame if it sucks. lol

That actually is pretty good, factor in the shipping and tax...and it's south of $700 I may need to look into that, see if I can get a discount via my school :) If you treat the laptop well you shouldn't have an issue. If you use it as a main desktop...that's not probably a good idea.

the X3100 is just sad. I expected it to at least run Warcraft III decent, but it relys on the CPU for everything. Maybe the 4100 will be better or get ATI chipest

Back