Installing LED's

Quiksilver

n00b
hey, i have a Dell Dimension 8400 and i would like to place 2 or more blue LED's underneath the flip pannel at the front. i've already started a few small mods on it like paint and a glass window, but i dont know how to go about installing LED's. like how do i use power from the power supply?

thanx alot

andy

Get a few 5 volt LEDs, then just wire them to your black and red wires on the power supply. Red is +5V and black is ground. No resistor will be needed.

Quiksilver said:
hey, i have a Dell Dimension 8400 and i would like to place 2 or more blue LED's underneath the flip pannel at the front. i've already started a few small mods on it like paint and a glass window, but i dont know how to go about installing LED's. like how do i use power from the power supply?

thanx alot

andy
Like Sarver said, you can get LED's with the right voltage from the start. But if you have some already, they are most likely around 2 volt each. You can put two in series (matching positive to negative in a chain) and it will run off of 5 volts. Or, put five in a chain and run them off of 12 volts.

true, one won't be needed if you turn your computer off everyso often
see leds work more efficiently the warmer they get...so after a while of use they pull more current than they say they do....this may or may not cause problems....what you wanna do is do what he says and find those 5v leds but use the appropriate resister to act as a regulator of sorts...so the led can't pull more than it needs...you can use a simple led calc to find the values needed....just google it and you will find one.

Back