Installing Win7 using wireless keyboard

hybry

Weaksauce
I am looking to build a new system, and I only have a laptop now, so no spare keyboard. For the new build I plan to get Logitech K340 wireless keyboard.

And it just dawned on me that keyboard might not work without drivers. So is it possible to install Win7 using wireless keyboard?

I don't see why not.
Windows doesn't control the sync between the keyboard and it's receiver.

I don't see why not.
Windows doesn't control the sync between the keyboard and it's receiver.

Makes sense.
But at the same time if I recall correctly I used to have some wireless keyboard and I could not get it to start boot sequence from CD. Could not get past the point where it said press a key to boot from CD.

Makes sense.
But at the same time if I recall correctly I used to have some wireless keyboard and I could not get it to start boot sequence from CD. Could not get past the point where it said press a key to boot from CD.
Did you remember to enable legacy USB support in the BIOS?

You wont have a problem using the wireless keyboard. I had a logitech wireless mx5000 keyboard and mouse set that worked perfectly on my new system build and that was 5 years ago.

You could always pick up a cheap $5 usb keyboard just in case. But i never had a problem with any of the 3 systems i've built since buying my mx5000 set so i dont think it will be an issue.:D

I may seem like a hoarder, but I always keep a spare USB and PS2 keyboard for such occasions.

As long as you have support for a USB keyboard in the BIOS then you'll be fine. The system doesn't know the difference between a wired and wireless.

I installed Win7 on my HTPC with a cheapo Wireless keyboard and mouse that I bought from Fry's had zero issues with the mouse or kb not working.

If you can enter and navigate the BIOS setup menu with your wireless keyboard then...well congrats, because then you should have no problems whatsoever installing Windows 7. What goes on beyond the wireless receiver is transparent to the computer.

Thanks for all the replies.

Getting the keyboard and a temp GPU today so will have a go at setting all up :)

Back