Installing Windows 2003 Server on another computer

Swordfish45

Limp Gawd
I was wondering how to install my copy of Windows 2003 Server edition R2 on another server. I havent tried yet, i just need to know the basics: What licenses do i need?

from what i leaned from Micr$oft's website i need another server license (which is as much as a new hard copy of the os) and to transfer authenitcated data, I need to buy a Client Access License. (for about $200)

i want to know how to do it REGARRREY! I know how to do it irregarrrry but this is for a company that will go public. replace the 'r' with 'L' to figure out what i'm saying

If you have a boxed copy of the software you can transfer that license to another machine, as long as when you have your data transfered you shutdown and wipe the original server. As long as when you are done you only have one server running that license you are fine.

If you are doing two servers, then your best bet is to buy another boxed copy of Server 2003 R2 for the new server.

With licensing, I think there is a way to license your network, so if you have 10 computers, 2 printers, and one other network device you would purchase 15 CALs (2 extra for growth), and call it good. I don't remember if it is Per Server licensing, or Per Seat Licensing. I would have to check to see which we did, and I am feeling lazy (that and I don't want to open that filing cabinet over in the server room because I haven't cleaned it out and it needs it).

I have no idea, but I always thought that CALs were for terminal server connections.

Nope, CALs are for everything. You have Exchange CALs for each client that will connect to your Exchange Server, Windows CALs for each device/user that will connect to the Windows Servers, SQL CALs though with SQL you can also get a Per Processor license instead for Internet based servers.

Pretty much every Microsoft Windows Server software (SQL, Sharepoint, Terminal Server, Exchange, etc) all need some form of Client Access License.

Back