Intake or exhaust?

apc

n00b
I just picked up a random 80mm fan from a friend of mine. I have a mini-tower case with 1 back exhaust fan. I can put this new fan either intaking at the front of the case, at the very bottom of the case, or exhausting in the back just above the current fan. From the front it wouldn't be specifically cooling anything, just pulling some outside air in, and in the back it would be slightly redundant, although it would line up pretty close to the level where the cpu fan blows. Which location would be better?

personally your asking? Id go ahead and buy 3 or w/e more and fill up all the slots. I have a 120mm exhaust fan, 4x80mm fans and a 90mm fan in mine. it never hurts to have good circulation. If i were you id put the fan in the back as exhaust fan.

and for what? sucking air out that isn´t there?

i would put the in front intaking, like the scheme for ATX front intake, back exhaust.

Hint: air will be pulled into the case when air is exhausted out of the case :)

Elledan said:
Hint: air will be pulled into the case when air is exhausted out of the case :)

but there will be much more "airtraffic" with intaking and exhausting fans, only exhausting isn´t the way it really works.

grugar said:
but there will be much more "airtraffic" with intaking and exhausting fans, only exhausting isn´t the way it really works.
Exactly how is a setup with intake and exhaust fans more efficient than one with only exhaust fans? Unless you've got the worst case with the poorest airflow possible, of course.

Unless your case is capable of maintaining a vacuum, (its possible, but I've never seen one that was) the fan will move the same amount of air through the case whether it is exhasting or blowing it in. A consideration would be your airflow pattern, where would it move the air best over your hottest components.

The easiest thing to do would be to put it above the other one in the back... and make both of them blow in to the case. The PSU fan will exhaust air, plus the holes in the front of the case. This will keep fresh cool air blowing on your CPU which needs the cool air.

The best thing would be to cut a hole next to your graphics card so it blows 1/3 on the card & 2/3rd above it on to the CPU this would make your CPU. northbridge & videocard cool. Which are the main hot spots.

:rolleyes:

well, i'd suggest exhausting it out the back. 2 fans there will be pulling a lot of air through the front panel. all that air is going to rush right up across the CPU area and out the back, giving you a stream of nice, fresh air. on the other hand, if you put too many intakes into the case, you're not going to develop a good air flow pattern, exhausting less of the hot air inside, which will mean the hot air will build up inside more, leading to higher ambient temps.

Yeah what he said, ;) I wouldn't pull air in from the back if I could avoid it, because your P/S is exhausting warm air back there, and air coming from alot of different angles is less than ideal too. You want to develope an efficient airflow pattern preferably front to back with as few disruptions as possible to flush fresh air through your case.

I've seen one fairly neat case design that ducted air from an intake fan to an exhaust fan across your CPU, neat idea though I think you would want your northbridge and Video card in that duct as well if you can arrange it.

Back