Integrated optical output vs Audigy 2 ZS

Viperlover

Gawd
What would give me better sound quality? As of right now I have my computer hooked up to a reciever from my audigy 2 zs. Would I be better off buying an optical cable and using integrated as my sound card has no optical output?

Also, what is a way to get more than 2 channels from my soundcard to the reciever? Any adapters that I need for like TRS to RCA cables?

Using the Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, you can output digitally via one of the jacks via SPDF and connect it to your receiver using the coaxial digital input. That would be basically identical to running a fiber optic from your integrated sound card to your receiver. The Audigy 2 ZS might sound a little better since it is a dedicated sound card but for the most part, both are digital and are mostly passthroughs. The sound you would get in the receiver would be stereo for everything except when playing DVDs. DVDs are preencoded with Dolby Digital or DTS and can have surround sound with more than 2 channels. Since there is no software encryption of DD or DTS in Windows, there is no surround sound via digital cable using your integrated audio OR your Audigy 2 ZS.

For gaming, the very best bet is to connect your Audigy 2 ZS to a receiver via analog cables (for 5.1 you will need 3 standard 2 RCA to 1 mini-jack cables). You plug these into your receiver in the analog 5.1 connection which many receivers have 1 set. With proper configuration of Windows, your games, and your DVD software, you can output surround sound for everything with your computer when connected like this. Check to make sure your receiver has these inputs first. If you have a system that allows for something greater than 5.1, then you might need to buy a different kind of RCA cable or need more cables depending on the sound card itself.

Hope that helps. :p Good luck!

Using the Audigy 2 ZS soundcard, you can output digitally via one of the jacks via SPDF and connect it to your receiver using the coaxial digital input. That would be basically identical to running a fiber optic from your integrated sound card to your receiver. The Audigy 2 ZS might sound a little better since it is a dedicated sound card but for the most part, both are digital and are mostly passthroughs. The sound you would get in the receiver would be stereo for everything except when playing DVDs. DVDs are preencoded with Dolby Digital or DTS and can have surround sound with more than 2 channels. Since there is no software encryption of DD or DTS in Windows, there is no surround sound via digital cable using your integrated audio OR your Audigy 2 ZS.

For gaming, the very best bet is to connect your Audigy 2 ZS to a receiver via analog cables (for 5.1 you will need 3 standard 2 RCA to 1 mini-jack cables). You plug these into your receiver in the analog 5.1 connection which many receivers have 1 set. With proper configuration of Windows, your games, and your DVD software, you can output surround sound for everything with your computer when connected like this. Check to make sure your receiver has these inputs first. If you have a system that allows for something greater than 5.1, then you might need to buy a different kind of RCA cable or need more cables depending on the sound card itself.

Hope that helps. :p Good luck!

Thanks ALOT. I finally got my sub and center to start playing.

upgrade your speakers before you upgrade your sound card.

I dont think I really need a speaker upgrade... :)

0714081221jf1.jpg

Oo I see Infinity tower speakers and Boston Acoustics bookshelves. I can't tell what kind of sub you are using but you definitely have a good system for connecting up to your computer with. No upgrade needed.

Glad I could help!

Back