Intel 520 Cherryville SSD

Well, the reliability problems of OCZ are linked to the controller, not the flash.

TLC will be introduced with a new controller, so it should be custom made to this new flash, with probably more over-provisioning, an optimized wear leveling, etc.

With that said, I certainly won't be buying one in the first months.

Yes it is not related to flash but less writing endurance will also affect overall reliability which is already not great in recent ocz ssd. I read somewhere that tlc was about 10x less endurance compared to current mlc which would put tlc endurance at ~500 writing cycle, and with those cells containting more data there will probably a chance that those cells will be written more often than current mlc at equal ssd size.

Need one of these to replace my current 160gb X25M-G2. Need something with more capacity......250GB hopefully.

Need one of these to replace my current 160gb X25M-G2. Need something with more capacity......250GB hopefully.

I replaced mine with a Samsung 830 256GB and couldn't be happier. Very noticeable upgrade.

So has anyone tried the Intel 520 Series yet? I can't find a review anywhere.

The store in town here has 120G and 180G versions in stock. My laptop should be arriving in a few days so would be great to be able to put the new SSD in it from the get go.

The Intel 520 Series 180G is NZD $100 less than a 240GB OCZ Vertex 3, but I don't have a clue if it has the same performance as the bigger Sandforce SSD. I know a 120G OCZ Vertex 3 is much slower than a 240G version and 180G seems an odd size...

I think intel still has the NDA active, there were rummors for jan 19 launch, but nothing oFficial fron intel, my guess is we might see reviews next week, since stores are starting to get supplies.

So is it sandforce or not? That's weird it's for sale right now and zero reviews out.

Wierd thing is that no reviews.... and starting to show in some places..

If the performance is really there (>500MB/s on writes as well as reads), as well as the Intel reliability, I'll have no problems paying more for them, but of course I'm one of those yookles who paid almost $1/GB on my first Velociraptor about three years ago and never regretted it. I'm planning on $1k just for SSD(s) on my next desktop and will probably go with a single of the largest of a 520 series, samsung 830 or crucial M4.

its not out yet, but guys, the SF hype is true. if the shoe fits...

The reviews or the product? Someone over at Anand already has two on the way and I'm reading review samples are out., but all the sites are still under NDA.

Last edited:
looks like some etailers are shipping: a friend reported he had 2 of the 520 120gb on the way

I doubt any stores are shipping. If they were, someone would have had one overnighted and posted about it by now on some forum.

Strange that these would be up for sale before intel making an official product launch.

I'll wait until I see them on more common sites like newegg. Rather see a review before buying something. I'm sure it'll be good since its intel.

from what info i have, the site that 'had' them had only eight when my friend ordered 2, and just after pm'ing me re his order, i checked, and they were 'out of stock', so unless someone @ the etailer jumped the gun/are pulling my buddies leg...yeah, odd no reviews...

It's just a SandForce controller with Intel NAND? Aren't there a dime a dozen of this configuration out there already?

It's just a SandForce controller with Intel NAND? Aren't there a dime a dozen of this configuration out there already?

I think some of us are looking for Intel reliability coupled with the SF performance. Many SF drives have not been without some drama.

Yeah but intel has very high reliability something a lot of ssd makers don't have. You want high quality reliability go with intel. I have an ssd I bought from them nearly 3 years ago and still has 99% life and zero issues.

I would call it marketing, but Intel's reputation for SSD quality is not undeserved in my opinion. The only drives I will buy used are Intels (I've been getting some X25-Es as they pop up cheap).

Also, I participate in SSD endurance testing on another forum, and two Intel 40GB drives were tested. One is still going, and the other died with almost 700TB of writes on it. That's not too shabby for a 40GB drive.

Given some of the strange choices Intel made with the 510 series' firmware, I wonder if they know something everyone else doesn't sometimes (actually, I know that's true). 4K performance on the 510 was not spectacular, but I think this could be one place where the 520 excels.

Last edited:
there are evaluation units already in reviewers hands, have been for a week now....but NDA isnt expired. Very weird if intel ships before their very own NDA agreement has expired!

there are evaluation units already in reviewers hands, have been for a week now....but NDA isnt expired. Very weird if intel ships before their very own NDA agreement has expired!

I ordered one over the weekend, but when I called on Monday to ask if they really had the drives, I was told they were "backordered". I think Intel called to yell at them.

looks like typical sandforce. i'm trying to get him to do at least 10 back to back as-ssd runs, see what's what...

Would be nice to know when the NDA will be lifted. I built a brand new computer a month ago and the only thing it's missing is the SSD for the OS. I'd like to know if I'll be waiting a week or a month for this drive to come out.

It's not looking good. The 10 channel Intel controller is fantastic, it a little slow these days.

I wish they had stuck with Marvell.

So, Hardware Canucks revied the 256gb 520 series.... faster then M4, great firmware and cherry picked nands. It could be THE SSD for me. But the price. Price is outrageous for the SSD line. About $250 more then 830 / M4... so I'm still sticking with idea of buying Samsung. Sorry Intel, 5 years warranty and 1 sec shorter loading OS time ain't the factor for me.

Back