Intel 5300 Wireless Problem

vladthedecker

Limp Gawd
I recently purchased a barbones MSI laptop, ms-1651, from ebay. It doesn't come with wireless so I added an Intel 5300 card. The problem is that as soon as I install the drivers for the wireless my system instantly blue screens. I have had this issue with Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64. The blue screen indicates that the problem is with netw5v64.sys. I did a few google searches for this but didn't come up with anything productive. I have tried both of the available driver versions from Intel.

Has anyone come across this before? Do you guys have any suggestions?

I recently purchased a barbones MSI laptop, ms-1651, from ebay. It doesn't come with wireless so I added an Intel 5300 card. The problem is that as soon as I install the drivers for the wireless my system instantly blue screens. I have had this issue with Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64. The blue screen indicates that the problem is with netw5v64.sys. I did a few google searches for this but didn't come up with anything productive. I have tried both of the available driver versions from Intel.

Has anyone come across this before? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Uninstall all the current drivers (and I hope you're not using that bloated Intel ProSET junk too) and get it as clean as possible, then hit Windows Update and see if there's a driver sitting there that's compatible. If so, try that one - and yes I know it comes from Intel and is provided to Microsoft but... sometimes, just sometimes those drivers work better.

There are so many possible things wrong here it's not even funny. I did some quick research and spotted issues with specific games and that card, OSes, applications, etc, so... it'll be tough to track down a root cause most likely. But if you install the Windows Update drivers (if they exist) at least you'll have something solid and hopefully reliable to work with.

Hey Joe, thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried getting the driver from Windows Update but there doesn't seem to be one available. Also, I have tried the ProSET version of the driver as well as the bare driver. Additionally, I have tried reseating the card and also installing it in a different slot but to no avail. I have even tried fresh installs of both OSes and didn't have any luck there.

If you have any more suggestions I would be happy to try them. I'm out of ideas.

Check to see if you have a normal retail version or a Engineering sample. I have heard that some people have had problems with the ES versions. The ES versions will say "Engineering sample not for resale" on the main label.

I don't see any markings that indicate that my card is an engineering sample. My guess is that the ebay seller shipped me the Lenovo/HP version of the card. I found a few people that mentioned constant blue screens when using the wrong card. The HP and non-HP versions appear to be physically identical so it could just be a mix-up. I'm going to try to send back this card and get another one.

Yah, after thinking about it I wondered if it was one of those "locked" ones that are tied to the specific brands, IBM/Lenovo is famous for that crap for no good reason, kinda stupid in my opinion but I'm sure they'd have 10 reams of policy showing me why they think it's a good idea and why it IS policy. :)

Hope things work out...

Hey Joe, thanks again for your help. I'll be sure to update this thread when I have my new card.

So, I received a new wireless card today and it works perfectly. I am now almost certain that the first card I got was for HP/Lenovo machines.

Thanks for all the help.

Back