Intel 975xbx + G.Skill HZs = FTW?

KENNYB

2[H]4U
I've already secured the board from a fellow forum member, but DDR2 choices are killing me. From what i've read the G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ 2GB is a safe bet but my wallet is going to bleed for months. Can any forum guru please give me advice on what to choose in this price range? I'm buying from newegg for 299 and it looks like i should be thankful for only paying that much.

I read the OCZ stories about compatibilities issues. I cancelled my order (2GB for $215 shipped!!) with a sigh of relief.

I swear it must have been only 2-3 weeks ago that this same memory was ~250. In the words of Ricky Ricardo, "Waaa happen?".

I went wih the G.Skill for my D975XBX for the same reason -- the OCZ is a bit cheaper but I didn't want to have to chance it. So far (only about a day now) everything has been good.

From what I understand, the yields on the faster chips aren't as good as some manufacturers expected or needed. They are getting plenty of chips but many are not fast enough to be used on the higher-speed modules.

Another GSkill story:
I just bought the super-expensive DDR2-1000 kit from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231077

and one of the modules fails memtest badly.

Back it goes.

After the OCZ horror-stories, I am not sure which fast 1GB modules are a truly "safe bet" to buy. It would be nice to receive a set of modules that was really, truly tested and that would not be DOA.

Andrew

(cf)Eclipse said:
high demand, production isn't keeping up :p

from what i have seen, the Gskill 6400 HZ has gone up from 239 or so a month ago to now being 259 or so

i ordered my slower g skills when they were 168 shipped, now they are 240, i can only imagine higher priced memory, its a nightmare. :eek:

aamsel said:
From what I understand, the yields on the faster chips aren't as good as some manufacturers expected or needed. They are getting plenty of chips but many are not fast enough to be used on the higher-speed modules.

Another GSkill story:
I just bought the super-expensive DDR2-1000 kit from newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231077

and one of the modules fails memtest badly.

Back it goes.

After the OCZ horror-stories, I am not sure which fast 1GB modules are a truly "safe bet" to buy. It would be nice to receive a set of modules that was really, truly tested and that would not be DOA.

Andrew

The modules in my sig work perfectly with at least the ASUS P965 Express boards, and the i975x boards. The Biostar TForce P965 Deluxe also worked well with my ram.

Megalomaniac said:
from what i have seen, the Gskill 6400 HZ has gone up from 239 or so a month ago to now being 259 or so

and now up to $299.99!

I got these sticks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231087 for $199 on 8/29, now they're $259.99!

Looks like G.skill 2Gb kits went up about $50-60! ouch! 25-30% in about a month!

On a side note, the g.skill ram I got is great.
I've tested a few different combination. My sticks hit ddr2 1000 at 5-6-6-17 (didn't try tighter timings or higher FSB). They also hit 940+ at 4-4-4-12, once again I didn't even try higher, I was just trying a few different ratios at various overclocks to see what performance was like.

I am using the 2x1gb "HZ" DDR800 G.Skill's now, and so far they are by far the best memory i've ever owned :cool: . Running them @ 4/4/4/12 @ 916MHz 1:1. I bought mine for 259.00 @ the egg 3 weeks ago when they had them for the weekend "smashing deal"

Teamgroup is usually a safe bet, they sell the best combination of cheap and fast ram...

If you do not need the fastest ram ever, the Crucial stuff will be nice too, but only because crucial IS micron.

Back