Intel alchemist possibly delayed. to late 2022

Q1 vs Q2 isn't exactly a huge delay, but not a lot gets manufactured and shipped that first half of Q1 due to various holidays and weather patterns, so realistically this is a delay of 2-3 months and given what silicon is actually available currently that is actually pretty good. Q1 to Q4 pushback would be disappointing Q1 to Q2 puts it in line with launching when AMD and NVidia are expected to be making announcements, not a bad way to steal some of their thunder if the performance and price are there.

Q1 vs Q2 isn't exactly a huge delay, but not a lot gets manufactured and shipped that first half of Q1 due to various holidays and weather patterns, so realistically this is a delay of 2-3 months and given what silicon is actually available currently that is actually pretty good. Q1 to Q4 pushback would be disappointing Q1 to Q2 puts it in line with launching when AMD and NVidia are expected to be making announcements, not a bad way to steal some of their thunder if the performance and price are there.
Also a good way to get trumped.... I'm pulling for Intel which feels wrong but there it is.

I hope Intels card can at least not look like a joke vs AMD and Nvidia refreshes. BUT then if you can't buy anyones GPUs anyway what does it matter. :)

By that point the next gen nvidia/amd parts will be out. Chip shortage will be over by then.

Unless this thing is super efficient or super cheap, it's going to be a non factor.

I figure by late 2022 the chip shortage should be letting up and MSRP should be much more attainable.

“Hey, we can finally cut our prices in half now that supply is better” is unlikely to be suggested by anyone in sales at these companies.

Prices were slowly going up before shortages started and people are still paying massive markups now. I expect $300 mainstream GPUs (and up from there) is the new normal until they stop selling.

On the upside, this means more time to save the few thousand bucks a GeForce 5050 will cost.

By that point the next gen nvidia/amd parts will be out. Chip shortage will be over by then.

Unless this thing is super efficient or super cheap, it's going to be a non factor.
I doubt AMD nor NVidia have anything planned for launches in Q2, they are pretty big in their Q2 announcements with Q3&4 launches with actual availability in Q1.

I doubt AMD nor NVidia have anything planned for launches in Q2, they are pretty big in their Q2 announcements with Q3&4 launches with actual availability in Q1.
Given their pretty steady 2-year release cadence recently I wouldn't expect anything until the end of next year at the earliest.

You are correct. I had it in my brain as H2 instead of Q2

https://www.techradar.com/news/inte...gpu-could-arrive-disappointingly-late-in-2022

I was personally looking forward to this. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but even 3070 performance for 400-500 would be nice right now. I figure by late 2022 the chip shortage should be letting up and MSRP should be much more attainable. Well, here's to hoping anyway.

Dude, 3070 performance at $400 to $500 and you are not expecting anything amazing? I mean, if it were released today. :)

“Hey, we can finally cut our prices in half now that supply is better” is unlikely to be suggested by anyone in sales at these companies.

Prices were slowly going up before shortages started and people are still paying massive markups now. I expect $300 mainstream GPUs (and up from there) is the new normal until they stop selling.

On the upside, this means more time to save the few thousand bucks a GeForce 5050 will cost.

I'd expect the 5050 won't cost more than a grand.

And anything can happen between now and then (to push that date out even further).
There's so many different factors. Semiconductor wafer prices jumped by 20% even before covid hit. It was on it's way to a bottleneck even before all this nonsense. The physical limit of silicon and literal droughts decreasing the available water to help process the wafers is another massive and overlooked factor.

2022 is being very optimistic, But I'm trying to stay positive through all this garbage.

I have to wonder if covid/supply chain slowdowns are being used as an excuse to cover for making poor business decisions made over the last few years.

Or, in other times companies that would get in trouble for collusion and price fixing now have a free pass to raise prices without fear of consequences?

Surely companies would not do somethig immoral like that.

I have to wonder if covid/supply chain slowdowns are being used as an excuse to cover for making poor business decisions made over the last few years.

Or, in other times companies that would get in trouble for collusion and price fixing now have a free pass to raise prices without fear of consequences?

Surely companies would not do somethig immoral like that.
No need to wonder, I see it happening in every industry. C19 is being leveraged as a smokescreen and a scapegoat wherever companies have realized its useful to maximize profits.

Sure C19 caused actual impacts and forced many companies to change the way they did business, but many realized "oh actually this is way better" and so now there's an incentive to keep the ruse going, to ride it out as long as possible. Probably half a decade of this bullshit.

Last edited:
There's so many different factors. Semiconductor wafer prices jumped by 20% even before covid hit. It was on it's way to a bottleneck even before all this nonsense. The physical limit of silicon and literal droughts decreasing the available water to help process the wafers is another massive and overlooked factor.

2022 is being very optimistic, But I'm trying to stay positive through all this garbage.
Source? I read the opposite happened. "Declines in both shipments and revenue plagued the silicon wafer market in 2019." Semiengineering.com

Also a good way to get trumped.... I'm pulling for Intel which feels wrong but there it is.

I hope Intels card can at least not look like a joke vs AMD and Nvidia refreshes. BUT then if you can't buy anyones GPUs anyway what does it matter. :)
If it provides a price attractive upgrade for my polaris cards, I will have intel GPU's in my AMD machines. Irony.

I would seriously be ok with an intel 14nm++++++ GPU that used 300W. Obviously aluminum is expensive too, but I think 300W has been manageable in the past without 20lbs of Al.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Covid hit end of 2019/beginning of 2020. So prices went up 20% after covid hit.... Not before. And what was expected at the end of 2018 is different from what happened in 2019.

Those links you provided actually refute your statement! Here is what you said:

Covid hit end of 2019/beginning of 2020. So prices went up 20% after covid hit.... Not before. And what was expected at the end of 2018 is different from what happened in 2019.

Those links you provided actually refute your statement! Here is what you said:
At this point it's all out the window. Supply chain issues are absolutely real, especially in this space, no surprise tbh. <--works in industry.

"Joel Everett said he was astounded when a lightly used 2009 John Deere tractor sold at his last auction in Strawberry Point, Iowa, for tens of thousands of dollars more than it had cost fresh off the production line more than a decade ago.
Bought new for $109,000, the tractor sold for $143,000 at auction, he said. It's not an isolated incident, said Everett, who has run Joel’s Tractor and Auction since 1992. A lot of farm equipment, particularly used tractors, is selling for 30 percent to 50 percent more than it was two years ago at his auction house." ~ MSN

Isn't it comforting to know it's not just GPU's anymore?

Back