Intel blasts $100 laptop

Roberty

Extremely [H]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10397642/ I thought this was funny that Intel got it's panties in a wad about the upcoming $100 laptop being developed for sale to governments in developing countries for schoolchildren. If memory serves me correctly, this laptop uses (I believe) something like an old K6-2 500 cpu. Intel must be worried about losing more market share - LOL.

Flak Monkey said:
I think it was a 500mhz AMD Geode. The Geode is K7 based.

I see - I remember reading that it was a AMD @ 500mhz. I just assumed it was an old
K6-2+. That's the first I've heard of the Geode line of AMD's chips. Learn something new everyday. :D

Wow, blasting a $100 laptop for kids in developing countries, very big of you Intel :rolleyes:

Flak Monkey said:
I think it was a 500mhz AMD Geode. The Geode is K7 based.
Thats still enough to get something done, and the battery life should be totaly insane :eek:

tdg said:
Wow, blasting a $100 laptop for kids in developing countries, very big of you Intel :rolleyes:

Isn't it? I love when companies give such heartfelt support to such causes.

Did anyone read the article beyond the headline? Intel gave its reasons--why don't you start by identifying the points you take issue with?

xonik said:
Did anyone read the article beyond the headline? Intel gave its reasons--why don't you start by identifying the points you take issue with?
I did and Intel's argument doesn't seem to hold water.
They're basically saying that because it's not the latest and greatest the poor people aren't going to want it.

Though I guess the thought of millions of people being introduced to AMD powered computers would be enough to scare Intel.

That is quite low of intel, to bash another companies attempt to help millions of people. The only reason they are bashing it, is because they didnt do it first.

Of course that's the real reason. If the shoe was on the other foot, AMD would've probably done the same to Intel. They're always trying to "one-up" each other, when at times like this, it's not necessary.

xonik said:

I'll give you one - Intels theory that people will not want a basic laptop for $100 is bullshit. I'd sure las hell ike to get my hands on one for $100 just to use to surf the web and basic stuff like that. Hell, I'd even be willing to pay the $200 it stated in the article it would cost if you weren't a student. I guess that shoots Intels theory that the average person wouldn't want one of these. :D I guess Intel didn't read the news several months ago where people were fighting each other to get those 5 year old laptops for something like $50 that a school system was getting rid of. Offer ANYBODY a brand spanking new laptop for $100 - even one with specs like this one has - and see what happens. I promise whoever's building them won't possibly be able to keep up with worldwide demand. Do you need any more points xonik? I can come up with some more if you like. :p

I guess Intel figures that no one wants $100 laptops. Who knows, maybe Pedro will put another 20 hour shift in at the sweatshop to get the P4 model instead?

xonik said:

article said:
"It turns out what people are looking for is something that has the full functionality of a PC," he said. "Reprogrammable to run all the applications of a grown-up PC ... not dependent on servers in the sky to deliver content and capability to them, not dependent for hand cranks for power."

1. I think Mr. Barrett misses the point of these devices. In places where there is no power and no computers, having a hand cranked laptop will be a large step forward.
  2. These devices do not depend on the sky or servers for programs, they come with an OS themselves.
  3. Considering that there is a x86 compatible processor in there, I do not understand someone claiming that a P4 is more ``reprogrammable''. It appears to me that these do everything a P4 can do, but at less power and slower.

you happy now?

They can say what they want but its like saying a starving country doesn't want just sandwiches since they rather have BK's, etc.! Yeah i'm sure they rather not eat at all then right! :rolleyes: Just another reason why i refuse to support intel! ;)

Intel is crapping on it because it's existence destroys their business model. Their new products are near useless for what 90% of folks use PCs for. The hardware in that $100 laptop is fine for surfing, reading, email, e-books, etc, esp. when run w/o windows bloatware. I suppose you'd have to run Adblocker for all those damn flash ads.

Think outside the [H]ardware mentality. Think grandma and Starvin Marvin. Outside of games and ripping/encoding, who uses all that horsepower? The new hardware requirements for Vista are mostly for a glitzy GUI and DRM....who the F needs that?

If they sold that thing for $200 in the US (and it would sell like hotcakes even here) it would mean fewer high end Pentium (or for that matter AMD) cpus and copies of windows sold.

This is a foot in the door for AMD (and Linux, most likely), as it may spread brand recognition and maybe move folks upmarket in their line when they have the need/money.

I bet if they sold small little laptops for $100ish with a ~1GHz-ish Pentium3-based laptops, they'd sell like hotcakes for people wanting an "everyday cruiser", if they had the extra stock somewhere to burn if it wasn't thrown away. Same with a 1GHz AMD product. Toss in like 802.11b, just like 256MB of memory and a 10GB harddrive or something. I think it'd make a dope little christmas gift.

Actually, I think Wal-Mart had like sub-$300 HP laptops on black friday with Mobile Semprons. :p Someone really need to nail the "everyday consumer" laptop market, because it seems a new laptop is always $800+ at least.

Full Folding Ahead!

Ruiner said:
The new hardware requirements for Vista are mostly for a glitzy GUI and DRM....who the F needs that?
*looks at my xp install with the windows classic theme*

not me i guess :D

i'd sure as hell like one of those to check up on stuff while i'm oc'ing this rig, since it's almost like a full time job for me now :p

man... a handcrank would be sweet.
hook it up to your bike and charge your laptop while going to work haha.

I really hope this comes into fruition just for the sake of poor people though, not cause i wanna see intel get a kick.

Unknown-One said:
Thats still enough to get something done, and the battery life should be totaly insane :eek:

Yup, infinite battery life..... It has a hand crank to provide power. :D

Which if the Intel dude thinks that is a negative, that just shows how totally clueless and pathetic he is. There are huge parts of the world with ZERO wired electricity, and Mr Clueless talks about it as a negative. jeez

CZ100B said:
Yup, infinite battery life..... It has a hand crank to provide power. :D

Which if the Intel dude thinks that is a negative, that just shows how totally clueless and pathetic he is. There are huge parts of the world with ZERO wired electricity, and Mr Clueless talks about it as a negative. jeez

Of course, wireless networking is just about as equally useless with zero wired electricity.

I can see a market for this in the US. I mean I would pay $100 for a el cheapo laptop to have fun with. The handcrank Idea is pretty cool, and I am wondering why it hasn't been implemented on "normal" laptops.

I do a see a major flaw with these laptops though. No internet, no printers, no cd burners (Or drives?). What can you do with them then? I just can't see where a laptop like this is needed. Poor countries don't have the infrastructure to properly use them, and more industrilized countries can afford a more powerful computer. Money would be better spent actually getting basic ultilites in these countries instead of blowing money on these laptops that they really can't use.

HmmmDonut said:
The handcrank Idea is pretty cool, and I am wondering why it hasn't been implemented on "normal" laptops.

Can you see a guy taking off his suit jacket in the middle of a meeting telling people to give him a second while he re-winds his laptop? Neither can I.

kirbyrj said:
Can you see a guy taking off his suit jacket in the middle of a meeting telling people to give him a second while he re-winds his laptop? Neither can I.

So if that same guy's laptop dies without a handcrank what does he do? This is if he doesn't have a plug or power cord near him.

HmmmDonut said:
I do a see a major flaw with these laptops though. No internet, no printers, no cd burners (Or drives?). What can you do with them then? I just can't see where a laptop like this is needed. Poor countries don't have the infrastructure to properly use them, and more industrilized countries can afford a more powerful computer. Money would be better spent actually getting basic ultilites in these countries instead of blowing money on these laptops that they really can't use.

Ok, if you are going to argue that point. The Economist (www.economist.com) has made a point over and over that the 'digital divide' cannot be solved with computers, but rather cellular phones. Instead of investing large sums of money into a wired infrastructure, they claim, it would make more sense to deploy a much less expensive wireless network with cheap phones for the population. Of course, recharging the batteries may be difficult, but that could be done with a handcrank much easier than a laptop, considering the capacity of a cell phone battery is ~700mAh.

kirbyrj said:
It would be the ultimate thing for people on airplanes... Hmm, I feel somewhat tight in this business class chair, let me recharge my laptop to loosen up a bit.

drizzt81 said:
Ok, if you are going to argue that point. The Economist (www.economist.com) has made a point over and over that the 'digital divide' cannot be solved with computers, but rather cellular phones. Instead of investing large sums of money into a wired infrastructure, they claim, it would make more sense to deploy a much less expensive wireless network with cheap phones for the population. Of course, recharging the batteries may be difficult, but that could be done with a handcrank much easier than a laptop, considering the capacity of a cell phone battery is ~700mAh.

That makes sense, but a cell phone can really only be used for communication unless you have a blackberry. A wireless network isn't that easy to set up either, and you still need electricty to run router/servers.

I bet if they sold small little laptops for $100ish with a ~1GHz-ish Pentium3-based laptops, they'd sell like hotcakes for people wanting an "everyday cruiser", if they had the extra stock somewhere to burn if it wasn't thrown away. Same with a 1GHz AMD product. Toss in like 802.11b, just like 256MB of memory and a 10GB harddrive or something. I think it'd make a dope little christmas gift.

You couldn't sell that for $100. However, you COULD sell it for $200, and they'd sell in massive quantities. A 1GHz Pentium III is still quite snappy for everyday use. I know I would buy one. Also, the hand crank is a GREAT idea. Huge parts of the world have no central electricity. For that matter, I'd like to be able to take a laptop to the park for a day without worrying about battery life or extension cords.

I would flop down 200 bucks for one these dinky laptops even if i am not part of a poor developing country. Sometimes simpler is better....

The CPI in a lot of those countries is better than in N.America....

I have a friend in Kenya that lives frugally, but still lives quite well over there...He has all the things we have here...

Makes you wonder sometimes...

MD_Willington said:
The CPI in a lot of those countries is better than in N.America....

I have a friend in Kenya that lives frugally, but still lives quite well over there...He has all the things we have here...

Makes you wonder sometimes...

Yeah, you can get a beach house in Costa Rica complete with housekeeper for like $50k.

Onto the point of WIFI not being useful over there due to lack of existing network, think ad hoc and for distribution of classroom materials due to lack of cdrom/etc. Just connect to schools small network and pull the files or homework/lectures/etc off as needed. Useless i think not for their target audience; remember its meant as a teaching aid

For all you guys that like to crank your Ipods at night, you can now crank a laptop to get you to sleep.
Spec= 1 minute of cranking is 10 minutes of usage, so six minutes of cranking is an hour of usage, If thier like the radio counter parts I think you get a half an hour of usage between cranks, not bad. :) I f you crank longer then that and you start to feel good all over you inadvertantly switched back to your Ipod and could Blow your Capacitor. :eek:

Meh, Intel is bashing this based upon a developed countries consumer point of view. That is not the target market of this device. This device is targetted at teaching children in developing countries, and hence everything Intel says about it is misguided and wrong.

Back