Intel Brings Affordable Solid-State Computing to PCs and Netbooks

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation announced today a new addition to its award-winning lineup of high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs): the Intel® X25-V Value SATA SSD. Priced at $125, the 40 gigabyte (GB) drive is aimed at value segment netbooks and dual-drive/boot drive desktop set-ups to offer users the performance and reliability advantages of solid-state computing at an affordable, entry-level price.

Aren't these just the kingston V drives that Kingston rebranded from Intel? Or is there something different?

Still too damn expensive for my blood. Hopefully the news of lower prices by the end of the year come true.

Are they trying to pull a fast one to counter act the onyx from ocz?

My little Acer Aspire One will be getting one of these bad boys tomorrow. Hopefully it should transform my netbook in terms of performance.

I'm pretty sure these have been out for a while. Honestly, this press release should have come out 3 months ago.
I think Intel just wanted some attention for the low-end ssd market, in response to OCZ announcing their Onyx series, and Kingston's new 30GB V Series boot ssd.

I've had one for about two months now. Intel is a little slow on this one.. They are also faster than they say. As far as I know, Intel and Kingston are in the SSD business together. So if you already have the Kingston, you have had the same drive basically, for even longer than those of us who waited for the Intel branded one. I like it. This is the first time I have read a product announcement about something I have already had for two months. LOL. I was like sweet. New Intel SSDs! For cheap!!! Oh yea...:confused:

At that price per GB it would still be $500 for 160GB of storage. What is anyone going to do with 40GB? Install Windows? When they can give me a 256GB for less than $400 I may consider it. But that's still too much...

At that price per GB it would still be $500 for 160GB of storage. What is anyone going to do with 40GB? Install Windows? When they can give me a 256GB for less than $400 I may consider it. But that's still too much...

Um.. this is perfect for a netbook or light use notebook. It SERIOUSLY improved the speed of my Aspire One.

Were they always 34nm flash? I'm looking for something that could make this press release make sense.

That would suck if they did have the newer flash in them, I just bought a X25V a few weeks ago......

40GB holds windows and some applications, regular HDD for data, and you see quite an improvement.

EDIT - Im finding news articles from january stating that the drives have 34nm flash, maybe just a way to counter the new value OCZ drive, like someone stated above.

The Intel X25-V features 40GB of 34nm NAND flash memory

direct from the link

My little Acer Aspire One will be getting one of these bad boys tomorrow. Hopefully it should transform my netbook in terms of performance.

I hope you have something other than the 9" version that takes full size drives. The SSDs inside AAO's aren't exactly swap parts. (Have AAO110, 8GB SSD in mine. Uses a PATA ZIF cable and mounts directly onto standoffs.)

40gb is a little tight for me. 60gb is better (using that on my desktop). For a netbook, a 40GB would be ok.

For a laptop, like my HP touchsmart, I'm waiting for a better deal on something like 80-120GB.

I hope you have something other than the 9" version that takes full size drives. The SSDs inside AAO's aren't exactly swap parts. (Have AAO110, 8GB SSD in mine. Uses a PATA ZIF cable and mounts directly onto standoffs.)

The 8.9" AAO was also sold with full size 2.5" laptop drives (120GB or 160GB), standard SATA connector (like mine), the only ones that came w/that PATA ZIF connector (and a more cramped HDD space) were the Linux versins w/the built-in SSD; don't think they ever sold those w/WinXP.

This is indeed the same drive they've been selling since mid-January, guess they never made an official announcement about it, it's also the same drive Kingston was selling back in early Nov thru Dec (they've discontinued it, pricing argument w/Intel I think). Kingston never supplied TRIM firmware for it (or Intel didn't supply it to Kingston) but end users have found a way to hack the Intel firmware updater in order to flash their Kingston drives.

It's not a bad drive for the price imo, tho the cost per GB is high ($3)... OCZ's 60GB Indillix drives are cheaper per GB ('specially the Agility or Solid 2). Still, if you don't wanna pay more than $110-120 it's a good choice. 40GB is plenty for a laptop unless you need tons of storage for media tho... Win7 takes like 12GB, even if you add another 10GB of apps (Office 2K7 is 1-2GB and 2K3 is only like 500MB) you still end up w/another 8-10GB for files and media (since you probably shouldn't fill it up past 32-34 GB).

Oh and Newegg had it for $130 last I saw, you can find it cheaper elsewhere. MWave had it at $120 at one point and you could knock off $10 thru a coupon ($10 off any $100+ purchase) they were advertising on their site, I'm sure you can go thru Bing CB or w/e elsewhere to lower the price a bit.

I'd like to put up a few of these to play with, decent price. I'm sure my netbook would enjoy one.

The 8.9" AAO was also sold with full size 2.5" laptop drives (120GB or 160GB), standard SATA connector (like mine), the only ones that came w/that PATA ZIF connector (and a more cramped HDD space) were the Linux versins w/the built-in SSD; don't think they ever sold those w/WinXP.

Interesting. I know they did sell WinXP on a 16GB flash version for a very, very short while. Too bad the 8.9" model version is such a pain in the butt to open, but should a one time job with a nice SSD to replace the platter drive.

Yeah, it's a royal pita to open, even more of a pita to get to the DIMM slot to bump it up to 1.5GB, heh. I'm glad I upgraded mine tho, gave it a nice lil' oomph to tide me over 'till I wait for a CULV thin-n-light w/USB 3.0... :D If prices of SSD haven't dropped much by then I'll probably keep using my 40GB X25-V on that system as well...

FYI, Amazon is selling the Kingston-branded version for $75 right now, HECK of a deal if you don't mind jumping thru a few hoops to flash it w/Intel's official updates to give it TRIM (since Kingston never released firmware updates, it's not hard to do at all tho).

The Kingston version is discontinued AFAIK btw (Kingston & Intel couldn't reach an agreement as far as license pricing for the firmware upgrades, etc.), Amazon or whatever reseller probably found some lost or overstock batch that they're trying to liquidate... I dunno if that changes anything as far as warranty, but seeing as how they normally sell for $120 and even the 30GB Indillix drives are usually $90-ish, $75 for a 40GB SSD is a mighty fine deal.

I'mmm waaaaaittttinggg... I don't want to be taking out loans to pay for high GB, high speed solid states damnit. The future can't come soon enough.

Back