Intel Dual Core Extreme 3.7Ghz a good deal?

Raycaster

Limp Gawd
Was just a computer store and noticed in the bargain bin a few Intel 965 3.75 Extreme (775) cpu's without sinks for $110 Canadian.

I've been farting around with my old e6300 over 3Ghz but am wondering if for that price it's worth just to replace the e6300? I'm 2/3 saved up for a I7 920 system but boy that 3.7Ghz just popped out at me. I also might have a choice of buying a friends system Q6600 (2.4Ghz) for 2/3 what it would cost the 920 upgrade (mb/cpu/ram).

What do I do with my system?

Have a 8800 GT and play borderlands etc. I do alot of video conversion (LOVE CUDA) blu-ray rip to mkv etc.

I also have a full Swiftech water cooling setup which could be MacGyvered to work with most chipsets.

Boy that 3.7Ghz is tempting but something tells me patience may be the answer.

Thx ahead.

Well the Pentium Extreme is basically a Pentium D just overclocked a bit higher.

As for whether or not it would be worth it. Hell no.

Thank you.

Perfect reply, just needed someone to open my eyes and look beyong the Ghz.

At 3.7GHz this P4D is equivalent to around a 2 GHz core2 dual core processor that uses 2 to 3 times the electricity of the core2. So I certainly would not touch it..

Thats kinda what I was looking for.
I realize a comparison to a I7 920 is apple to oranges but wondered after throwing out the Ghz data what the actual comparison would be.

Looking at CPU comparison charts I thought that the chip was just not included but it's probably because its 3 pages back!

Had one - no way it's worth it. Just get the 920. I have mine at 4.0Ghz and have plenty of room to go yet. Kind of like a 6 cylinder Camaro compared to a V8 Camaro SS. No comparison!

Back