intel e6550 2.3 1333fsb 4mb cache @ Frys B&M for $179 + Tax

was just surprised to your reaction on my oc results...

It's called jealousy and green with envy. I've put a huge amount of time and effort into running my E6400 reliably at 3600 MHz and in one day you come along and kick the crap out of me. Can you feel my pain? :D

I've heard the rumours about these new revision G0 processors but couldn't or just didn't want to believe it. My E6400 is a great processor but it needs far more voltage to run stable at 3570 MHz than yours does.

You can use a program called RMClock which lets you toggle C1E on or off from within Windows. That is usually what drops your multi.

If you go into the Control Panel and select Power Options set it to Home/Office Desk and EIST will be turned off. Congratulations on a fantastic overclock. You've shown us the light.

If you go into the Control Panel and select Power Options set it to Home/Office Desk and EIST will be turned off. Congratulations on a fantastic overclock. You've shown us the light.

nope not yet....all i did was run 3dmark06 and SuperPI...if all the G0 stepping would be like this i think buying a C2 Q6600 for $270-299 would just make more sense...:D

It's called jealousy and green with envy. I've put a huge amount of time and effort into running my E6400 reliably at 3600 MHz and in one day you come along and kick the crap out of me. Can you feel my pain? :D

I've heard the rumours about these new revision G0 processors but couldn't or just didn't want to believe it. My E6400 is a great processor but it needs far more voltage to run stable at 3570 MHz than yours does.

You can use a program called RMClock which lets you toggle C1E on or off from within Windows. That is usually what drops your multi.

ok i see what you are saying

here is orthos @ 1.31v

That's exactly what I wanted to see and I'm sure you don't mind seeing numbers like that either! :D

My revision B2 E6400 is pretty typical and it needs approximately 1.44 volts to remain Orthos stable at 3500 MHz. You can run Orthos stable with 10% less volts which equals 20% less heat output which is why your temps are so low.

Fantastic overclock and once again I apologize for doubting your overclock. The revision G0 is the new king of overclocking.

Gigabyte20P352002420copy.jpg

I hope this pic is right. I've never had an intel board. One thing you want to be sure is to make sure is not to run the ram past spec. That is just one thing. There may be 1 or 2 other things that could be a wall too. I wouldn't know. This should be the location to adjust the ram from 1:1 (FSB/ram ratio) down so the ram runs at a lower gear than the FSB. But again I might be way off. Foreign system to me. selecting 2x here if your fsb was set at 333 should make that ram run at 666mhz (DDR). I would think that you would want this at 2x if your FSB is set to 400 making the ram run at DDR800. Again, I really don't know that bios.

What are you talking about? Running RAM out of spec? Crucial ballistix are micron D9GMH chips. They can handle up to around 1200 - 1300 mhz @ 2.4V. That's pretty out of spec to me...

Can you get stability when you push the FSB any higher? You can use systool and move it in real time as your doing the orthos and see at which point it errors out.

well i was able to push the ram @ 540(x7) yestereday...ill porbably try it again later maybe...

They can handle up to around 1200 - 1300 mhz @ 2.4V.

A good set can but for how long? My Team memory also uses D9GMH chips and I also gave them 2.40 volts to see what they'd do and after a few months they had to go back for RMA replacement. Team has a lifetime warranty and there weren't any problems but using 2.4 volts is pushing it for 24/7 use.

The official Micron spec for D9GMH is DDR2-667 at 1.8 volts and CL5 timings. Download their datasheet if you don't believe me. Running them at DDR2-1066 at 2.2 volts is already pushing them.

ClockGen is also a good Windows tool for overclocking. If you keep bumping up the MHz without increasing the core voltage, sooner or later you'll lose Orthos stability. You won't hurt anything but if you're happy with 3500 MHz then you really don't need to.

With a little bit of extra voltage I think 3800 MHz is possible but you'll likely find that your motherboard's ability to run at a high FSB will be the limiting factor.

yeah actually i just clocked everything to stock, i just do it for benching and not for 24/7 after that its all gaming...

pretty good results but no point in upgrading to these if you already have 3+ghz core 2 duo.

but if I can get a Q6600 for $100 more why not? granted that it will be G0 stepping...

Head to EBay and put your E6550 up for sale with a screen shot of it running Orthos at 3500 MHz or 3600 MHz at default voltage and it will be a quick sale!

For me there isn't enough software available that takes advantage of a Quad core yet to justify upgrading.

500 MHz x 7 looks like a great 24/7 setting for you. Your memory is happy at DDR2-1000 and your cpu is running nice and cool at this speed with default voltage so it should last forever.

Head to EBay and put your E6550 up for sale with a screen shot of it running Orthos at 3500 MHz or 3600 MHz at default voltage and it will be a quick sale!

For me there isn't enough software available that takes advantage of a Quad core yet to justify upgrading.

500 MHz x 7 looks like a great 24/7 setting for you. Your memory is happy at DDR2-1000 and your cpu is running nice and cool at this speed with default voltage so it should last forever.

I tried that with my E6300 a while ago. It wouldn't sell.

A good set can but for how long? My Team memory also uses D9GMH chips and I also gave them 2.40 volts to see what they'd do and after a few months they had to go back for RMA replacement. Team has a lifetime warranty and there weren't any problems but using 2.4 volts is pushing it for 24/7 use.

The official Micron spec for D9GMH is DDR2-667 at 1.8 volts and CL5 timings. Download their datasheet if you don't believe me. Running them at DDR2-1066 at 2.2 volts is already pushing them.

Uh... you have to have active cooling on those sticks or they'll burn after a while. If you put over 2.3V into it and still expect heat to magically leave the RAM, you're asking for dead sticks. If you did have active cooling, I'd probably guess the same as you, 2.4V may be a little much, but if you didn't have active cooling almost the whole time you had it running at 2.4V, that's not really the sticks' issue, but a user created problem.

and yes, D9GMH is rated at DDR2-667 at 1.8V and CL5 timings, but in all reality, not even Crucial, a subsidy of micron, runs those chips at those specs. You can't seriously tell me straight up that Micron's subsidy is stupid enough to clock these chips up to PC8500+ with D9GMH and GKX IC's...

how do i do the 1:1?? my 1066 is on my friends machine im using a ddr800 ballistix ver. well like i said asus left a bad taste after the P5K Deluxe mess!!! damn asus!! and to think Asus has his hands on GB too....

I have no idea why all this started. He's running DDR800. I responded that he was running past spec on that DDR800. I would say running 1020+ is out of spec and near the ram's limit thus possibly being the next hurdle to eliminate.

You can't seriously tell me straight up that Micron's subsidy is stupid enough to clock these chips up to PC8500+ with D9GMH and GKX IC's...

That's exactly what Crucial does with their Ballistix series and what every other high performance memory manufacturer does. The Micron ICs are binned and the good ones get promoted to the faster modules. I think Crucial uses D9GMH up to PC8000 and then switches to D9GKX for their PC8500 modules.

Crucial makes sure their modules can run stable at their specification with 2.2 volts but some other companies like Team are getting a little carried away with recommendations of 2.3 to 2.4 volts without active cooling.

Specs: DDR2 PC2-8500 • 5-5-5-15 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-1066 • 2.2V • 128Meg x 64

Those are Crucial specs but they aren't the original spec for the ICs that go on these modules.

schwam: Sorry about getting a little off topic here. With these new E6550 chips being able to overclock so well it looks like people will have to choose their memory and motherboards carefully to get the most out of their CPU.

Q6600 Orthos is not yet done..I've read that it is ideal to keep the temps under 60c but i cant it seems that is the lowest load temps i can achieve...H2O but cant afford it also is it normal that 2 of the cores are running like 10c-15c cooler than the other 2 cores?you it might be because of the load??

Back