Intel : Exchange H67 with Z68

Puyol

n00b
If we are not going to see fixed H67 boards in number until April, just offer us a Z68 board in exchange/upgrade instead...

Last edited:
Uh.. yeah.. lol.

I think you are expecting too much. Although, it would be awesome, I doubt it would happen.

I'd personally love to see something like this. It would be nice if Intel manges to work with various vendors to provide this as an option for the early adopters that just got hit by the bug.

let me keep the board, give me a new one free , intel gets another 320 bucks on a 2600k I wouldn't have bought otherwise, and I have 2 folding rigs. :) It's called striking a deal. Intel gets something. I get something. We both win.

let me keep the board, give me a new one free , intel gets another 320 bucks on a 2600k I wouldn't have bought otherwise, and I have 2 folding rigs. :) It's called striking a deal. Intel gets something. I get something. We both win.

Only if Intel pays the motherboard manufacturer to ship you a free board. Otherwise I think someone loses.

You've got to be kidding. This is like expecting Ford to upgrade recalled Fiestas to Mustangs.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

i wouldnt' mind a x4 pci-e 6 port raid card. thatw ould work for me ;)

The H6x boards appear to be fine. From Engadget:

Update: Jimmy sent us a chat log with an Intel customer service representative indicating that this recall only affects "some desktop boards based on Intel P67 chipset," that the H67 chipset boards appear to not be affected, but that the company doesn't have a comprehensive list yet. We've certainly seen cases where CSRs don't have all the info in this sort of situation, but still we'd advise waiting a bit before tearing your new mobo out and bringing it back to the store.

The problem affects all Cougar Point PCH B2 steppings, so this includes H67, P67, HM65, etc....

Seems like Gigabyte already provided the perfect answer:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4146/gigabyte-announces-6series-motherboard-replacement-program

- get a free exchange of your board when replacement is ready.
- or get a full refund anytime you want and buy anything you want for example a Z68 based board

I hope that Asus is going to offer the same perfect deal :)

No, Asus requires you to ship your board to them then they will ship you a replacment. A long downtime is expected some time in April.

No, Asus requires you to ship your board to them then they will ship you a replacment. A long downtime is expected some time in April.

Is there an official response from Asus? Could you link it please? While I'm not terribly concerned about it, I would like to get it fixed, wouldn't be happy about waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a motherboard replacement.

I think that those who bought from Newegg have the option to return their current board and get whatever board they desire within the 90 day (or longer) return Period if they received the email from Newegg.

Way to take care of the customer Newegg!

Wonder if we can do advance RMAs

Is there an official response from Asus? Could you link it please? While I'm not terribly concerned about it, I would like to get it fixed, wouldn't be happy about waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a motherboard replacement.

Yea, it's posted somewhere on this forum as well. I posted in that thread, too, but now I can't seem to remember what the title of the thread is. I'm sure you'll come across it if you keep reading other threads here.

ASUS do seem to be dragging their heals over making it clear what they will do and their representatives have been mentioning the 'only' 5% failure rate a little too often for my liking.

If they get this wrong in comparison with Gigabyte it could cost them their current mind share as the quality brand, especially given the fact that many of their users have spent the last couple of weeks battling with the BIOS.

Asus' response seems to be rather vague(purposely?), I see nothing that says they won't cross ship or that a "long downtime is expected". I'm going to wait and see. i would like the opportunity to upgrade to a z67 if possible. I've wished for IGP a time or two in the past.

While I'm happy with my purchase and the performance of my motherboard, I do want a 100% working motherboard when possible in the future. I'm not real enthused about a long downtime waiting on a replacement motherboard. Hopefully Asus will offer cross shipment on replacement, or ideally, an upgrade option to Z67. Especially since I expect Intel is footing the bill for this whole fiasco.

http://event.asus.com/2011/SandyBridge/notice/

For motherboards, we’ve confirmed with Intel® that the Cougar Point design error does not affect SATA ports 0 and 1. Additionally, ASUS has been a pioneer in including extra SATA 3Gb/s and SATA 6Gb/s ports beyond Intel® specifications on a wide range of motherboards. These ports are not affected by this design error, offering customers an option for uninterrupted computing. However, we’re also offering you the option of returning any possibly affected motherboard for a swap or sales return. All warranties for affected motherboards will be reset to give you enough time to carry out any exchanges.

ASUS do seem to be dragging their heals over making it clear what they will do and their representatives have been mentioning the 'only' 5% failure rate a little too often for my liking.

If they get this wrong in comparison with Gigabyte it could cost them their current mind share as the quality brand, especially given the fact that many of their users have spent the last couple of weeks battling with the BIOS.

NewEgg's got my back on this one so I'm not worried about my system, but if ASUS fracks this up there is a pretty good chance I'll return the board and go with Gigabyte. I'm not too happy with their level of service thus far with my now-dead X58 board (they haven't responded to emails or anything) even though it was customer-induced damage (scratched a few traces accidentally during a rebuild). At least email me back letting me know if I have any options!

Asus is offering a refund option, so effectively that allows us to upgrade to Z68.

In the mean time I'm just not using the defective ports.

Unless you really need the 4 ports this is a good thing that has happened, we get to use the p67 board for a few months then get a full refund to upgrade to Z68 !

I think that those who bought from Newegg have the option to return their current board and get whatever board they desire within the 90 day (or longer) return Period if they received the email from Newegg.

Way to take care of the customer Newegg!

Wonder if we can do advance RMAs

Someone posted an email from Amazon that made it look like they would be offering extended returns as well.

Asus is offering a refund option, so effectively that allows us to upgrade to Z68.

In the mean time I'm just not using the defective ports.

Unless you really need the 4 ports this is a good thing that has happened, we get to use the p67 board for a few months then get a full refund to upgrade to Z68 !

How exactly does that say Asus is offering a refund option? Some retailers are not allowing returns and are basically saying RMA it.

How exactly does that say Asus is offering a refund option? Some retailers are not allowing returns and are basically saying RMA it.

I think he is referring to this:

However, we’re also offering you the option of returning any possibly affected motherboard for a swap or sales return.

The wording is pretty ambiguous though. What exactly do they mean by sales return? They could actually be offering refunds, it is intel forking over the money to clean up this mess after all.

I don't see how Asus could offer a refund directly since they don't do direct sales (as far as I know), would seem like the best they could do is get their channel partners to offer refunds.

I don't see how Asus could offer a refund directly since they don't do direct sales (as far as I know), would seem like the best they could do is get their channel partners to offer refunds.

Thats what i am wondering. Although it would be intel forking over the cash so its not unrealistic to think they will just give refunds for boards.

Back