Intel experts: What is this? Same chip, two different steppings? (WARNING: large pic)

P4_3.0_2.jpg

I pulled this out of one of my older Dells... on POST, its reported as a P4 3.0. Why would this chip have two different steppings and speeds marked on it? Why would OEMs use this CPU and is it really meant to run at two different speeds? If so, can the multiplier be changed from 15 to 17?

strange indeed!

my guess is that nobody but the all knowing and benelovent Lord Almighty Jesus Christ will be able to answer your question

probably something stupid, like the ihs was stamped for one batch, didn't get used, and then was just restamped and used for a new batch.

Could just be a specific jumper on the Dell motherboard that is either changing the multiplier or FSB.

Yea, If US mints can make mistakes making coins, and releasing them to the public, I'm almost certain Intel can do the same... along with any chip maker. This is probably a good example of such.

call Intel and see what they say. Mabey if you return it to them, they would give you a better chip :p :D

1. Complain to Intel, that you paid for a 3.4Ghz CPU, and only got a 3.0.... so maybe they'll send you a 3.4! ;)

or

2. Put it on ebay & see what you get for it.... I bet some collector would pay big bucks for that b/c its unique.

Just like the stamps / coins /etc. The rare mistake/rejects are most valuable.

chrisf6969 said:
1. Complain to Intel, that you paid for a 3.4Ghz CPU, and only got a 3.0.... so maybe they'll send you a 3.4! ;)

or

2. Put it on ebay & see what you get for it.... I bet some collector would pay big bucks for that b/c its unique.

What kind of a dork would collect CPUs?

Besides the [H]ard working folks at [H]ard|OCP and awesome dudes like centvalny. ;)

mentok1982 said:
What kind of a dork would collect CPUs?

Besides the [H]ard working folks at [H]ard|OCP and awesome dudes like centvalny. ;)
I would if I could afford it. That would be an expensive hobbey :cool:

Back