Intel i5 build

JAW

Gawd
Was going to build a new i5 rig, but came across a dell deal and was wondering if it's worth the money?

Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 processor (6MB Cache, 2.8GHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
XPS 8300
1 TB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz, (2X2G/2X1G)
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
Dell 1501 Wireless-N

for $344 +tax

I have an existing radeon 4850 I was just going to pop in it. Can I just pop that card into this system?

This would work out a lot cheaper than me building a new i5 rig from scratch.

cpu is like 185, HDD is around 60~80, burner is about 20-30, then you gota figure the cost for the case and the PSU, mobo etc. I think its a decent deal if you don't have access to discounted Windows 7 software. But you also have to think about your future upgrade plans and how the included parts may limit you. Still not a bad "upgrade" type of system

My current system is,

q6600 o/c'd to 3ghz
4gigs of ram
radeon 4850

What sort of performance increase would I see? Biggest problem right now is my system isn't stable nor reliable. I've had problems after problems over the years with this build.

What are you going to be using it for? And what programs do you usually run? The i5 2300 is one of the best bang for the buck CPUs right now, and will be noticeably faster than the q6600 in some cases.

General tasks and working with large excel spreadsheets and databases. Multitasking with lots of different programs/processes running. A little bit of gaming here and there but not much.

The concern is with Dell's "proprietary" power supplies. Without knowing the particular model of the PSU being used, I can't say whether or not it can handle the HD 4850.

However, the Dell system can easily handle most of your multitasking and all of your general tasks.

Jeez, Dell can put that type of system together for that price? Where'd you find that deal?

Ya seriously... $344 and I dont have to touch it? Perfect upgrade for my.child.. Id go with it... But like everyone else... Iffy on tge stock psu and adding a.gpu

I was able to verify you can drop a dedicated graphics card into them, they have a standard 6pin connector.

But that doesn't mean that the power supply can handle any video card. That's why I asked for the model number of the PSU; if I can determine who actually makes the PSU, which is done by searching for said model number, then that information will help me determine whether or not the PSU can actually run at 460 watts.

i have purchased the same system you are looking at the dell outlet. Great pc for the money. i was going to build a new pc but couldnt come close building my own for the money
once you add in the case, os, and psu
it has a 460 watt psu with 2 pci-e connectors. it is a standard atx psu.
i pd 389+tax for mine. popped in a gtx 460 ssc+ graphics card and good to go. Mine has been folding 24/7 since i bought it
the hard drive is a seagate 1tb with 32mb cache, not 16 mb cache listed on the order sheet.

i saw on slickdeals some guy got one with the i5-2400 and a bluray drive for the same price as the one you are looking at. keep refreshing til you find what you want

I am thinking about jumping on this today, would this still be significantly cheaper after upgrading the PSU and getting a higher and GFX card? Like a 6850? (instead of building my own computer from scratch) Also assuming the pleasure of building my own computer is worth about $50 to $100 to me, haha.

Last edited:
Mine came today, it's extremely fast. Very happy with it. It was listed as scratch and dent, but it looks brand new. I couldn't find any scratches or dents on it.

Haven't messed around with putting the video card in it, but I don't see it having any problems running a 4850

Mine came today, it's extremely fast. Very happy with it. It was listed as scratch and dent, but it looks brand new. I couldn't find any scratches or dents on it.

Haven't messed around with putting the video card in it, but I don't see it having any problems running a 4850

U won't nave any problems with he 4850 my 460 is oc'd to 851 core 1702 shader

Back