Intel i7-930 in stores?

jtvd78

Limp Gawd
Check at Frys, if you have one in your area they'll most likely have them in stock

Take note though the 930's right now are no better than the 920's, even with the 187 batch people are getting low stock voltages but they OC just like a 920 and the 22x multi is often enough unstable so a lot of people are hitting 4.0+ on a 21x multi. Might as well head over to microcenter grab a 920 for about $100 less with the same OC potential.

It will be $229.99 at Micro Center starting March 8th....;)

-M

If that's legit, I need to find someone to pick it up and mail me one if it's in store only. :p

I paid a bit under $300 for my 920 a few weeks ago.

what was the point in Intel releasing the i7 930?...it seems to be exactly the same as the 920...same price, same performance, a bit better overclocker...Intel should have released the 930 using the 32nm production...now that would have made it special

This would coincide with them ending their 20% byopc sale.

Hmm now i'm tempted to pick up a P6T and ram now and a 930 next week, need more OC'ing reports :)

This would coincide with them ending their 20% byopc sale.

Hmm now i'm tempted to pick up a P6T and ram now and a 930 next week, need more OC'ing reports :)

I'm thinking about putting one on 18 minute pickup on the 7th and see what happens the next day before I possibly get one.

the question tho is, is the 30 dollar difference between the 920 and the 930 worth it?

920 = 200 vs 930 = 230, not to mention tax and what not

Any reason to get the 930 if I already have a 920 that seems to be stable at 4GHz? Would the mulitiplier allow me to go that much higher?

God I hope Boston Microcenter has some 930 or at least 920 left on the 26th when I go to Pax! Cross fingers. 13 hour drive from Canada to go to PAX.

Of course PAX is just an excuse to share the gas with my friends to drive there to buy an i7 CPU! /lie

The bigger number of course! The X58 a higher end feature set. Triple Channel memory / More PCi-Express lanes / Support for hexacore CPU coming out in the near future etc... etc... Not everyone need the features of the x58 tho. We built a i5 750 rig for my friend on a x55 board and that's all he realy need.

Of course if you are [H]ard you will want a X58!

Oh and the x58 motherboards are more expensive than P55. All those extra PCi-Express lanes / memory lanes and the other stuff make them a lot more complex to build.

If that's legit, I need to find someone to pick it up and mail me one if it's in store only. :p

I paid a bit under $300 for my 920 a few weeks ago.

I am in Germantown, MD. About 15 minutes from the Rockville microcenter. If anyone wants me to pickup a 930 for them just PM. As long as you cover tax and shipping I will be happy to help. Don't flood my inbox though.

The bigger number of course! The X58 a higher end feature set. Triple Channel memory / More PCi-Express lanes / Support for hexacore CPU coming out in the near future etc... etc... Not everyone need the features of the x58 tho. We built a i5 750 rig for my friend on a x55 board and that's all he realy need.

Of course if you are [H]ard you will want a X58!

Oh and the x58 motherboards are more expensive than P55. All those extra PCi-Express lanes / memory lanes and the other stuff make them a lot more complex to build.

Thanks for that. I guess if I do decide to upgrade I'll be going with the X58 chipset and the 930. Just gotta wait and see how the next week goes to see if I can upgrade.

Thank you for that reply. I guess I should rephrase the question; so which is better, X58 or P55? :D
Cyant's on the right track, but I think the choice depends on each user's needs.

If you're never going to use more than 1 vidcard, P55 includes plenty of PCIe. P55 has lower power consumption, which allows a quieter system. The 1156 CPUs & mobos are cheaper, so you might be able to go from HD to SSD or upgrade the GPU at the same total system price.

X58 offers more, but - IMO - it's a waste of money if the 2nd X16 slot sits empty for 1+ years. The other plus to X58 is the 3-channel RAM. The extra slots let you go above 8GB with 2GB sticks, and that's a big savings if you need the memory.

They're both smoking fast, especially with a little OC.

I am building a new rig soon, and I cant decide if I should get the 920 or the 930. With only a $10, price isn't the issue, but how does the 920's and 930's OC ability, Heat, etc compare? it just doesn't seem that the 930 hasn't been in the market long enough to show any problems that might arise in the future. which one should I get?

I just got my 930 today along with my Evga 760 Classified and some other goodies. Can't wait to see what it does on water with my new HEATKILLER 3 waterblock. :)

I am building a new rig soon, and I cant decide if I should get the 920 or the 930. With only a $10, price isn't the issue, but how does the 920's and 930's OC ability, Heat, etc compare? it just doesn't seem that the 930 hasn't been in the market long enough to show any problems that might arise in the future. which one should I get?

anyone?

I just got my 930 today along with my Evga 760 Classified and some other goodies. Can't wait to see what it does on water with my new HEATKILLER 3 waterblock. :)

I can't wait to see what it can do on water with your new Heatkiller 3 waterblock either. Please don't keep me in suspense.

I'm happy.

15868315.jpg

It's really up in the air right now because not enough people have bought the 930 to get good data on how well they OC. I'm seeing people recommending sticking with the 920 rev D0 as proven OC'ler with lower temps.

I bought a 930 because I got a good combo deal from Fry's $350 after MIR plus tax with a X58 mb (see sig). One of the early reviews said that the 930 had some minor improvements which made it overclock better. The 22x multiplier should allow for lower Bclk frequency, though I've heard that most boards will do 200 Blck allowing for a 4.2GHz OC on a 920. I also saw on another forum some OC their 930 to 4.8Ghz on water. There are a couple of post on Hardforum of the 930 generating more heat.

If you end up getting a 930 please share your OC, heat and batch data. Good luck with the build!

Which is better, the 920/930 or the 860?
I own an i7 920, and I can't say whether the 920 or 930 have a big enough performance difference to warrant the price. However, I can say for sure that you should go for the 920 over the 860. This is because I think the 1366 socket will last longer than the 1156. Plus, you can never upgrade to a hexa-core on an 1156 board. I say out of the three, go with the 920 and overclock it like me. :D

I own an i7 920, and I can't say whether the 920 or 930 have a big enough performance difference to warrant the price. However, I can say for sure that you should go for the 920 over the 860. This is because I think the 1366 socket will last longer than the 1156. Plus, you can never upgrade to a hexa-core on an 1156 board. I say out of the three, go with the 920 and overclock it like me. :D

Still debating. My current rig is still running everything I throw at it without any issues, so it makes it hard to justify upgrading. It's been almost two years since a major upgrade though and I have the upgrade itch bad...lol!

Back