Intel + nVidia to partner up on SLI for Intel Chipsets

Lich

Limp Gawd
Looks like intel + nvidia is going to be the new hot platform

As ATI Technologies is preparing to become an integral part of Advanced Micro Devices, rivals of the newly formed enterprise reportedly talk about enablement of multi-GPU supporting technology SLI on chipsets from Intel Corp. to provide enthusiasts a platform with leading performance and features.

Citing industry sources, DigiTimes web-site has reported that Nvidia would “soon announce that it will allow support of its SLI technology on Intel’s chipset platforms”. The two companies, it is said, had already met to discuss the “partnership” and possibilities to avoid “negative impact” from ATI-AMD transaction, even though, no concrete details are available at this time.

From xBit Labs

Well, I got a 965 board, and I figured if I went back to a 2407, I would just get a 7950GX2, but they don't work with 965 boards, and if Nvidia is going to allow SLI on Intel chipsets, I probably should have gotten a 975X board with 2 x16 slots. I just didn't feel like paying $75-100 more. I'm just going to run with my AB9 Pro for a little while and see what the SLI 590 chipsets look like I guess.

kirbyrj said:
Well, I got a 965 board, and I figured if I went back to a 2407, I would just get a 7950GX2, but they don't work with 965 boards, and if Nvidia is going to allow SLI on Intel chipsets, I probably should have gotten a 975X board with 2 x16 slots. I just didn't feel like paying $75-100 more. I'm just going to run with my AB9 Pro for a little while and see what the SLI 590 chipsets look like I guess.

Oh I see.. Hey would you know if the P5W DH is it 16x 16x Lanes or will it become 8x 8x in sli mode?

This is for mobile chipsets only... NOT desktops. This has been in the works for a while and is nothing new. That's not to say that there won't be SLI on intel in the future..... just not at the moment.

Poncho said:
This is for mobile chipsets only... NOT desktops. This has been in the works for a while and is nothing new. That's not to say that there won't be SLI on intel in the future..... just not at the moment.

Is the 7950GX2 going to work with the 965? Is the problem as simple as a bios fix?

Poncho said:
Do you read?

here...
Intel and Nvidia Talk across the Board SLI Support – Report.
Nvidia May Enable SLI Support for Intel Chipsets

Category: Chipsets

by Anton Shilov

[ 07/30/2006 | 11:12 PM ]

As ATI Technologies is preparing to become an integral part of Advanced Micro Devices, rivals of the newly formed enterprise reportedly talk about enablement of multi-GPU supporting technology SLI on chipsets from Intel Corp. to provide enthusiasts a platform with leading performance and features.

Citing industry sources, DigiTimes web-site has reported that Nvidia would “soon announce that it will allow support of its SLI technology on Intel’s chipset platforms”. The two companies, it is said, had already met to discuss the “partnership” and possibilities to avoid “negative impact” from ATI-AMD transaction, even though, no concrete details are available at this time.

It is not a secret that support of multi-GPU technologies, such as ATI’s CrossFire and Nvidia’s SLI, by various chipsets is mainly associated with reprogrammable PCI Express lanes, available in several core-logic devices, including Intel’s premier 955X and 975X, as well as support from the drivers. So far Nvidia did not allow any chipsets, but its own, to work with two of its GeForce GPUs in SLI mode.

While Nvidia has a fully-integrated platform to support Intel Core 2 Duo and SLI technology, Intel may not like the fact that top-of-the-range computers with its chipsets and Core 2 Duo microprocessors are powered with the CrossFire technology from AMD-ATI, therefore, the world’s largest chipmaker may be interested in such talks. Nvidia, however, may be interested in downplaying CrossFire and receiving certain endorsement quotes from Intel Corp.

Earlier it was reported that Intel and Nvidia had agreed to support SLI technology on the mobile Intel 945 GM/PM chipsets, but no official confirmation followed.

Neither Intel, nor Nvidia commented on the news-story.

oC|-TiTaN said:
Do you read?

here...

Ummm do you read? The only chipset they mentioned in there was 945GM... which is mobile. There isn't ANY mention of desktop chipsets anywhere. And I can tell you this.... SLI is coming on Intel Mobile chipsets. That is for sure. Desktop may be in the works.... but not that I'm aware of, besides... I don't see nVidia allowing it since that would cost them money and Intel doesn't need it.

It is not a secret that support of multi-GPU technologies, such as ATI’s CrossFire and Nvidia’s SLI, by various chipsets is mainly associated with reprogrammable PCI Express lanes, available in several core-logic devices, including Intel’s premier 955X and 975X, as well as support from the drivers. So far Nvidia did not allow any chipsets, but its own, to work with two of its GeForce GPUs in SLI mode.

While Nvidia has a fully-integrated platform to support Intel Core 2 Duo and SLI technology, Intel may not like the fact that top-of-the-range computers with its chipsets and Core 2 Duo microprocessors are powered with the CrossFire technology from AMD-ATI, therefore, the world’s largest chipmaker may be interested in such talks. Nvidia, however, may be interested in downplaying CrossFire and receiving certain endorsement quotes from Intel Corp.

This alludes to talks of Intel and Nvidia enabling SLI on Intel platforms. Yes...I can read.

And the last sentence in the report verifies that they are not speaking of those talks, they are speaking of new talks involving desktop chipsets.

oC|-TiTaN said:
This alludes to talks of Intel and Nvidia enabling SLI on Intel platforms. Yes...I can read.

And the last sentence in the report verifies that they are not speaking of those talks, they are speaking of new talks involving desktop chipsets.

Dude... it's everything in that story is speculation. Bottom line with Intel and nVidia right now is, and this is from somebody who works at Intel you idiot, SLI for mobile PLATFORMS not desktops. Now... like I said before, there MAY be high level talks about SLI on desktop, but NOTHING has been shown to suggest that. But again... I don't see it happening, though I may be wrong, I just don't see nVidia being that desperate to lose money on their chipset market. What I do know is.... you shouldn't believe everything you read in some "news" artical on the net.

The last line of the article is saying that "earlier" there were talks about mobile SLI being enabled. It's verifiying that SLI will be on mobile platforms, as well as telling us that this is something different, hence the word "earlier".

But what's this about the guy working at Intel? Wouldn't you expect insider information about Intel to come from someone at Intel? What's he going to do, lie about his company's future to generate hype that will just end in disappointment?

kirbyrj said:
Maybe I should have sprung for the P5W DH afterall :rolleyes:

So I'm guessing this means taht the P5W DH will officially support CrossFire and SLI then? Is that my understanding?

[BB] Rick James said:
So I'm guessing this means taht the P5W DH will officially support CrossFire and SLI then? Is that my understanding?

No... it doesn't mean that at all. As of right now the ONLY thing that is confirmed is that there will be SLI on mobile, SLI on desktops is still speculation with NOTHING coming from Intel nor nVidia to allude to it being supported.

Poncho said:
No... it doesn't mean that at all. As of right now the ONLY thing that is confirmed is that there will be SLI on mobile, SLI on desktops is still speculation with NOTHING coming from Intel nor nVidia to allude to it being supported.

Well, SLI must work on Intel chipset workstations as well, otherwise Dell wouldn't be selling the Precision 690 with SLI'd Quadro 4500s. As far as I know, the only workstation chipset out for LGA771 is 5000X.

Poncho said:
Dude... it's everything in that story is speculation. Bottom line with Intel and nVidia right now is, and this is from somebody who works at Intel you idiot, SLI for mobile PLATFORMS not desktops. Now... like I said before, there MAY be high level talks about SLI on desktop, but NOTHING has been shown to suggest that. But again... I don't see it happening, though I may be wrong, I just don't see nVidia being that desperate to lose money on their chipset market. What I do know is.... you shouldn't believe everything you read in some "news" artical on the net.
I'm not talking about what is official or what has been officially stated, what i'm trying to get through your thick little skull is that the article mentioned in this thread is TALKING ABOUT DESKTOP CHIPSETS. I don't give a shit where then info comes from, you are still arguing with the fact that this article isn't talking about mobile chipsets, it is talking about Intel and Nvidia possibly allowing SLI on the Intel chipets.

Idiot.

ND40oz said:
Well, SLI must work on Intel chipset workstations as well, otherwise Dell wouldn't be selling the Precision 690 with SLI'd Quadro 4500s. As far as I know, the only workstation chipset out for LGA771 is 5000X.

That's slightly different. The Quadro Line is the only one that nVidia will allow at the moment. Also... the 5000x is only x16/x4 on the PCIe lanes for graphics FYI not to mention the fact that it's a workstation, not desktop or mobile.

oC|-TiTaN said:
I'm not talking about what is official or what has been officially stated, what i'm trying to get through your thick little skull is that the article mentioned in this thread is TALKING ABOUT DESKTOP CHIPSETS. I don't give a shit where then info comes from, you are still arguing with the fact that this article isn't talking about mobile chipsets, it is talking about Intel and Nvidia possibly allowing SLI on the Intel chipets.

Idiot.

Good... and I stated that the article is PURE FUCKING SPECULATION. Can you get that through your thick little skull? And you should give a shit where the info comes from.... the source of the info will give it, or not give it, validity. Sorry... but there is nothing concrete in that article.... they even said that neither Intel nor nVidia have commented on it. But hey... if you want to spin the rumor mill go right ahead. :rolleyes:

Poncho said:
That's slightly different. The Quadro Line is the only one that nVidia will allow at the moment. Also... the 5000x is only x16/x4 on the PCIe lanes for graphics FYI not to mention the fact that it's a workstation, not desktop or mobile.

I believe the 690 uses a riser card to split the x16 slot into 2 physical x16 slots that are x8 in bandwidth each. Even if it is a workstation, it shows the nVidia will play ball when they want/have to.

Poncho said:
Good... and I stated that the article is PURE FUCKING SPECULATION. Can you get that through your thick little skull? And you should give a shit where the info comes from.... the source of the info will give it, or not give it, validity. Sorry... but there is nothing concrete in that article.... they even said that neither Intel nor nVidia have commented on it. But hey... if you want to spin the rumor mill go right ahead. :rolleyes:
Yah, it's speculation and it's pretty good speculation because it makes sense that nVidia would do this. They're losing out on the AMD/ATI thing more than anybody and need to keep some dominance going. What better way to stick it to AMD then to enable every intel board with the capable hardware to do SLI? That will get all the intel guys over to nVidia real quick and could get the nVidia fans over to the intel platform from amd.

No, there's nothing conrete about the article, and it does only specifically mention the 945 chipset. But that i'm willing to bet that Intel will want to make a big deal out of this and get as much of their stuff to support SLI as they can.

Lich said:
They're losing out on the AMD/ATI thing more than anybody and need to keep some dominance going

And you know this how? There hasn't been anything said as to what the relationship between AMD and nVidia will be in the future. Hell.... we're not even sure what the ATI/AMD thing will entail. Maybe they are going to be used for the mainstream (read: Dell/HP/etc) only. Maybe AMD is planning on integrating a physics chip on the die. Who knows.... Again, everything with this is speculation at this point.

Lich said:
What better way to stick it to AMD then to enable every intel board with the capable hardware to do SLI?

Though without some type of liscensing agreement (read: payment from Intel) between nVidia and Intel, nVidia would lose money and marketshare if they allowed SLI on Intel's desktop chipsets. Again... this is ENTIRELY dependent on how the relationship between nVidia and AMD is in the future. Pure speculation.

Lich said:
But that i'm willing to bet that Intel will want to make a big deal out of this and get as much of their stuff to support SLI as they can.

Why? So they can gain ground in the smallest segment of the desktop market, one that they are already gaining ground on with price cuts and conroe. The Gamer market is small, the dual GPU market is even smaller and the future of dual GPUs is not certain. Let me reiterate this again.... Intel doesn't really care about us. They care about the people who buy from OEMs since they are the group that pays the bills.

ND40oz said:
I believe the 690 uses a riser card to split the x16 slot into 2 physical x16 slots that are x8 in bandwidth each. Even if it is a workstation, it shows the nVidia will play ball when they want/have to.

Ugh.... that may be even worse depending on what the riser card does. If it uses a switch to go between the cards that would really suck. Hmmm.... curiosity is peaked.... :D

Poncho said:
And you know this how? There hasn't been anything said as to what the relationship between AMD and nVidia will be in the future. Hell.... we're not even sure what the ATI/AMD thing will entail. Maybe they are going to be used for the mainstream (read: Dell/HP/etc) only. Maybe AMD is planning on integrating a physics chip on the die. Who knows.... Again, everything with this is speculation at this point.
Very Interesting side point but in your "And you know this how" you never once even remotely refute my point. No, we don't know what's going to happen. But you don't get in good with somebody by deciding to unite with their biggest competitor. Fucking common sense on that one. Unless it's a coup of course, and the only reason why AMD got ATI was to shut them down and AMD/nVidia will rule the world :rolleyes:
Poncho said:
Though without some type of liscensing agreement (read: payment from Intel) between nVidia and Intel, nVidia would lose money and marketshare if they allowed SLI on Intel's desktop chipsets. Again... this is ENTIRELY dependent on how the relationship between nVidia and AMD is in the future. Pure speculation.
I'm sure they would license the right to use SLI on intel, so it's not like it will bankrupt nVidia. This is not entirely dependent on nv/amd's relationship. nv is going to keep doing what it can to stay on top and if that means screwing AMD in the process go for it. Yes, it's all speculation at this point. Nobody has quoted a company rep. Nobody has seen an official contract. We know this and don't need you to be the self appointed voice of reason that sets us straight.

nv also has the ability to take control of the console gaming market now. The consoles that use ATI may be hesitant to go with them in the future because AMD may be making a different approach, try to sucker them into buying everything (CPU, GPU, etc) for the system. It could get interesting.

Poncho said:
Why? So they can gain ground in the smallest segment of the desktop market, one that they are already gaining ground on with price cuts and conroe. The Gamer market is small, the dual GPU market is even smaller and the future of dual GPUs is not certain. Let me reiterate this again.... Intel doesn't really care about us. They care about the people who buy from OEMs since they are the group that pays the bills.
Because it's a selling point, that's why. Intel doesn't give 2 shits about us. We know this. But they want our money, and so does nv. So they'll do some interesting things and make alliences to do whatever they can to squeeze more money out of us. The OEMs have more in their pockets, and they feel the same way: get more selling points. PC sales have sucked this past year, it's time to think differently and after getting beaten up and down by AMD the past few years, they know this.

Here's one quote from Poncho:

Poncho said:
[...] Bottom line with Intel and nVidia right now is, and this is from somebody who works at Intel you idiot [...]

And now, here's his next post:

Poncho said:
[...] SLI on desktops is still speculation with NOTHING coming from Intel nor nVidia to allude to it being supported.

So, this article came from Intel, but we have nothing from Intel? I'm confused. :confused:

I think it's funny how heavily he's (titan) defending speculation. It's not even the article's speculation, it's his. They don't mention anything about sli on desktops, he just feels like speculating that's what they mean, or will plan on doing, with absolutely no supporting knowledge. Why don't you just go out on a limb further, and say Intel is buying nvidia.. you got about as much proof either way.

Maybe they are talking about desktops? Maybe they're not. Since there's no blatant statement in favor of one, you can't really argue one side and say the other is false.

HOCP4ME said:
So, this article came from Intel, but we have nothing from Intel? I'm confused. :confused:

No the article is pure speculation. At the bottom it says neither Intel or Nvidia commented on it. I dont know why you guys are doubting Poncho, he clearly works at Intel and is always telling us what he knows and did tell us SLI will be on chipsets for mobile computers. Im sure one day SLI will be on Intel desktop chipsets but as of right now its not going to be. Bottom line.

HOCP4ME said:

No... the article didn't come from Intel. That came from some pimply faced kid writing about something that he doesn't know anything about when he should be out trying to touch a woman for the first time. :D Ok... now THAT was speculation. LOL... What I was saying was that I work at Intel and was giving you a bit of info that is known and confirmed to be in the pipes. I also offered my opinion on the future possibilities that SLI will work on intel. Again... I haven't heard anything about this, that's not to say that it isn't happening, just that it's not very known if it is. I laid out reasons why I don't think it's gonna happen.... those were opinion, but educated opinions nonetheless.

Poncho said:
No... the article didn't come from Intel. That came from some pimply faced kid writing about something that he doesn't know anything about when he should be out trying to touch a woman for the first time. :D Ok... now THAT was speculation. LOL... What I was saying was that I work at Intel and was giving you a bit of info that is known and confirmed to be in the pipes. I also offered my opinion on the future possibilities that SLI will work on intel. Again... I haven't heard anything about this, that's not to say that it isn't happening, just that it's not very known if it is. I laid out reasons why I don't think it's gonna happen.... those were opinion, but educated opinions nonetheless.
So a personal question. As an intel guy, would you rather see Intel + Xfire or intel + nvidia becoming a dominant platform?

Lich said:
So a personal question. As an intel guy, would you rather see Intel + Xfire or intel + nvidia becoming a dominant platform?

Honestly... this is a tough one for me. My last nVidia card was a ti4200 (GREAT card) but when ATI got their shit together and started making better drivers (this was always their downfall) I switched. Since then ATI has always been my card of choice since I always felt they looked better, while nVidia benchmarked better. I'm on my 4th ATI card right now and have never thought twice about it. Combine that with the fact that nvidia and AMD were always in bed together, and I would never touch anything AMD :D It was an easy choice for me. Now... with this, I don't know that I would buy another ATI card, depends on what we see coming from them and nVidia in the future. But I've definitley got some soul serching to do. :D

As for the business end... I'm not really sure. Time will tell on that one. There are just way too many directions that this could go into.

Poncho said:
But I've definitley got some soul serching to do. :D

As for the business end... I'm not really sure. Time will tell on that one. There are just way too many directions that this could go into.
I couldn't agree more. When I got my conroe I was consideirng looking into some ATI stuff, but I've always used nvidia. I'd love to see nvidia become better on intel, but like you said, time will tell.

Poncho said:
What I was saying was that I work at Intel and was giving you a bit of info that is known and confirmed to be in the pipes. I also offered my opinion on the future possibilities that SLI will work on intel.

Ah, okay, I thought you were saying that the person who wrote the article worked at Intel. Sorry.

Poncho,

Just out of curiosity what do you do for Intel? Just wondering. Must be sweet to work for them. I've heard good things.

Poncho said:

What does the dell XPS600 use? since it has dual 16x SLI.....

Now wait a minute. Why are we saying that Intel doesn't support SLI when I can configure a Dell XPS700 machine, with an E6600 and Dual 7900 GTX? Oh wait, are these Dual 7900 GTX's the "SLI on a stick" cards? Meaning 2 in 1?

Back