intel or amd --->1.4

8lack8rain

Limp Gawd
Which was faster the intel P3 1.4ghz with 512 cache or the amd (athlon?) 1.4 (with ddr memory?)? Assume the same generation. I had to choose either the amd or intel camp. So if by chance the intel was faster please know that I did not post to cause a flame war. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

I'd venture to say the Athlon at 1.4ghz was generally faster than the P3. Specifically in floating point math operations. It would be a very tight race though!

Honestly, I would probably give it to the Intel. They always seemedt to dominate in that era.

Why are you asking? You shouldn't be picking sides at all, and especially not based on what went on way back then.

If you're talking productivity, office and the like, the Tualatin would have a slight edge due to that massive 512k cache. The Tualatin also uses less power.

When you're talking anything memory-bound or FPU-intensive like encoding / playback, or other processing, the Athlon wins hands-down.

Gaming is a wash...both platforms can handle it decently.

There was no 1.4ghz P3....

The fastest was a 1.13ghz, that was later recalled.....

So since the only comparison that can be made is Athlon vs P4..... Athlon wins hands down....

duby229 said:
There was no 1.4ghz P3....

The fastest was a 1.13ghz, that was later recalled.....

So since the only comparison that can be made is Athlon vs P4..... Athlon wins hands down....

You young-uns, can't even remember the Pentium III Tualatin. 0.13 micron P3 die shrink with 512k cache and low-voltage operation. Not only did it supply the world with plenty of 800 MHz LV P3 processors for low-power cluster computing (11w TDP), it also provided the P3 with a last gasp as high as 1.4 GHz, and better performance than early Willamette P4s.

The 1.13 GHz Coppermine was originally recalled, but a later revision of the Coppermine core could handle 1.13 GHz easily and the chip was re-released. It is the fastest Coppermine ever made.

yea im an AMD fan... but intel deffinatly had the lead back then. i would go with the P3.

but why so old?

I could be wrong of course... I'm not all knowing, so thanks for correcting me...

I would still say, even tho I was wrong about the P3, I would still say to go with the Athlon. It had a faster FSB, and if you go with a chipset that has DDR support, your gonna get better memory bandwidth.... Not to mention the Athlon killed the P3 in FP operations......

Sounds alot like the situation we are in right now.... AMD kickin Intel's ass, and the Intel folks waitin on a newer core..... hmm Interesting how history has a tendancy to repeat itself..... Ahhh the wonderful circle of life :cool:

The 1.4 athlon would probally beat out the P3 1.4 slightly.

However, the 1.4 generates a ton of heat. For efficency in that matchup I would give it to the P3 1.4

defaultluser said:
You young-uns, can't even remember the Pentium III Tualatin. 0.13 micron P3 die shrink with 512k cache and low-voltage operation. Not only did it supply the world with plenty of 800 MHz LV P3 processors for low-power cluster computing (11w TDP), it also provided the P3 with a last gasp as high as 1.4 GHz, and better performance than early Willamette P4s.

The 1.13 GHz Coppermine was originally recalled, but a later revision of the Coppermine core could handle 1.13 GHz easily and the chip was re-released. It is the fastest Coppermine ever made.

You know something intrestring about that, I remember reading an article that the engineers actually desinged the Tualatin with 1M cache, however The marketing guys had it disabled down to 512k because it completly dominated the new P4s they just put out.

Nice. Thanks for all the replies. Believe it or not, I want a system to run linux with. Something I can set up to NOT be on the internet. I have a PIII 1.2 and 256 cl2 crucial ram. Nothing great, but could run fedora for basic finance, and contact info. I need to get organized and not worry about spyware or family using my pc. Stupid stuff like addresses for Christmas. Being able to print... anything. A system I don't need to upgrade for (OS) software exploits for example. Something static. I find myself constantly tinkering. Not necessarily a power user but my sytem is on everyday.

Anyway, the main thing that bothered me was that I didn't know who the "leader" was. It was eating me up. The sad thing is I like older systems too. I even brought home a 486 because I'm retarded. Spent 5 days reading about the parts, upgrades, and searching ebay. lol nothing came of it. Like I said retarded. Srry for the long post.

Not that you guys care, but I love my AMD64. Thanks again for the info. 88

Back