Intel Pentium D or AMD 64

Venom908

Weaksauce
I'm Building a budget gaming system, i also am going to use it as a media center with Windows media center.

For around the same price i can get this:

AMD Setup:

AMD 3500+ Venice
Asus A8N-E
Corsair XMS 1GB DDR400

Intel:

Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz (Dual Core)
ASUS P5ND2-SLI
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

I dont know that much about intel but what would you guys suggest?

ha ha ha ha.
Real funny.
Prescotts are the mud of the earth, no more question plz.
You could also consider an AM2 with similar specs, that way you can keep the DDRII memory on your next upgrade.

Did I miss something? Is Pentium D prescott? I didn't think it was. Anyways, I'd think the Pentium D 805 would be the better choice of the 2 since it's dual core and a pretty good overclocker, right? That is, if you don't wanna save up a little longer and get one of the cheap conroes or go the AM2 route like ^^^^^^^^^ said. with the price cuts, it shouldn't be TOO much more than what you'd paying for these things.

jason

edit: Actually, after looking at some reviews, the A64 will likely perform a little better in some stuff (like the guy under me said... games). The only place the 805 really did better was in q4 which takes advantage of both cores. Sorry if i was a little wrong earlier. I don't think you'd notice so much of a difference (especially if you oc'd the 805 and didn't oc the a64) that its' a big deal what you choose. On the flip side though, if you get a newer mobo, you may be able to upgrade to conroe in the future without buying another motherboard. I could be wrong though... I just woke up so I'm not thinkin right just yet.

If you are building a gaming rig, don't even consider Intel. AMD is practically made for gaming.

BigJavy said:
I could be wrong though... I just woke up so I'm not thinkin right just yet.

Yes, you might be wrong....
The Intel 775 series and 478 has been total shit in terms of heat and performance. The long pipeline approach did not work, and neither did the small furnace idling at 40-50 and 70-80 under full load. There will be no noticeable difference while gaming since the bottleneck in both cases -will not be the CPU, but AMD64 run cooler and generally faster then P4 models in most apps.
However, if you're not buying a spiffy Core 2 Duo rig, then AM2 or S939 are your best choice.
939 has some very good Nforce 4 based budget boards that have been through a lot of testing.
If you can get an X2 3800+, that's a pretty good deal, DualCore at 2.0ghz with 512kb*2 L2 cache. Good for gaming and anything else you might need.
As I already stated b4, if not Conroe, then AM2, if not AM2 then 939, do yourself a favor and DONT GET a S775 P4.

OP tons of bad advice in this thread. It's hard to trust anyone now a days. So many morons out there spouting off about something they know nothing about. In my opinion the Pentium D is going to be the better route. It's a good OC'er and you are starting with a better platform especially with DDR-II. Do a lot of research and take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt.

fusionrs said:
OP tons of bad advice in this thread. It's hard to trust anyone now a days. So many morons out there spouting off about something they know nothing about. In my opinion the Pentium D is going to be the better route. It's a good OC'er and you are starting with a better platform especially with DDR-II. Do a lot of research and take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt.
So let me get this straight, your good advice is get a Pentium d?
Here's a grain of salt for ya : http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2736&p=4
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/04/05/spring_2006_interactive_cpu_charts_update/
You can compare any two CPU's you want.
Truth time - Conroe > AM2 > 939 > P4. If you stick to the same price category this is true -100% true.
If you want to mess around and be philosophical about nit, then read some reviews.
Plenty will say the same. I would personally build a Conroe system if I was building now.
But as an upgarde I chose an AMD64 X2 4400+ 939 for my current build ( in sig).
If you buy 775 P4 you will regret it, I work as a PC tech in a lab, belive me, P4 were the mud of th earth.
Allow me to quote anand (taken from the Conroe Review regarding P4) :
"But make no mistake, what you see before you is not the power hungry, poor performing, non-competitive garbage (sorry guys, it's the truth) that Intel has been shoving down our throats for the greater part of the past 5 years"
Link:http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795
SO as I said....

PD805
4gigprime8hz.jpg

PD 930
cpuarithdx9.jpg

If I were you I woud probably do AM2. Super cheap and Conroe is probably going to be a bit more pricey. I'm thinking AM2 till end of the year till things settle and new Connies come out.

DO NOT get the 805 = oven.

Are you OCing or stock?

Budget?

Back