Intel Phasing Out Q6600 in Q1 2009

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
If you’ve been putting off your joining of the quad-core user base, it might be a good time for you to reconsider. DigiTimes reports that Intel will phase out the venerable Kentsfield Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU in the first quarter of 2009. Look for price drops soon.

Acer has reduced pricing for its Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-based desktops to below NT$13,900 (US$418) for the IT Month consumer show in the Taiwan market, and other vendors are expected to follow suit.

It's been over a year since the Q6600 was released and it's still a great CPU. It may not be top-of-the-line but it's a great value.

RIP

The Q6600 has been a great CPU. It's been a hell of a bargin for some time. I think it deserves it's place next to greats of price/performance.

I think the Q6600 is the staple of most overclocked quad core systems. I have a nice B3 Q6600 that managed 3.2GHz at 1.5v that is now retired into my HTPC and a Q6700 that can run up to 3.8GHz at 1.55v.

I think the only chip that will be able to match it for ease of overclock now are the 920 i7's

wow..

released -> flash bang -> gone

it was so quick i can barely pick up the pieces...

/sarcasm.

I've been waiting for the price drop associated with the i7 release. I have a dual core e4200 that is seriously showing its age, but have been priced out of the quad core processors. Hopefully I'll be able to give myself a post-christmas gift.

Price/performance-wise, this is probably the best chip Intel has ever released.

Bought mine used and love it. Was recoding a video from xVid to DVD yesterday; I thought 30 minutes seemed a long time, and then remembered NeroVision Express isn't multi-proc aware (at least, my version).
Tried out ConvertXtoDVD. Cut the time to 13 minutes, after setting things to the highest quality. Was great to see all four cores in Task Manager at 80%.

If you've been thinking about upgrading to a quad, this is the one to get. If prices go down, it will be an even better choice.

Recently upped to 4GB of memory, and I just sent in an old AGP card to BFG for their offer of upgrading to a 9800GT. Maybe I'll grab one of these soon. Should be the last round I get from my trusted Intel Badaxe 2. Great board, it's lasted me a looooong time! :)

I've been interested in getting a q6600 for a while now after reading so much good things about them over the time they've been out. My current e6700 is a nice CPU, and does quite well, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to quad, haha. After the price drops, it may be time for me to get one.

These are great CPUs - but I wouldn't count on the price going much lower.

They are already under $200, and when the supply dwindles, the price will actually start to climb. If you've been thinking of getting one, grab it now and start enjoying it.

Wow this chip is finally going to be retired, it will be regarded as one of the best cpu's intel has made.

Recently upped to 4GB of memory, and I just sent in an old AGP card to BFG for their offer of upgrading to a 9800GT. Maybe I'll grab one of these soon. Should be the last round I get from my trusted Intel Badaxe 2. Great board, it's lasted me a looooong time! :)
I also have a BadAxe 2, and the Q6600 was my last planned CPU as well. I'm reluctant to switch boards, as this one has been a great board: solid, stable, and with all the features I want.

3.2 easily with a vcore of 1.365, loads in the mid-low 50's with a 25 dollar cooler.

Sad to see this chip go. My first build was with it, and it's working wonderfully.

I also have a BadAxe 2, and the Q6600 was my last planned CPU as well. I'm reluctant to switch boards, as this one has been a great board: solid, stable, and with all the features I want.
AND, it's very friendly to Mac OS X Leopard. ;)

Back