Intel Postpones P55 Chipset, Lynnfield CPU

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Due to the poor market conditions, Intel has decided to postpone the release of the mainstream Lynnfield CPU and P55 chipset. Both were slated to come out by the end of July but now look like a late August/early September release and may even be delayed further depending on the market.

Both Lynnfield and P55 were originally scheduled to launch by the end of July. The economic decline which has caused motherboard makers to suffer overstocked chipset inventory is the major reason for the pull back, according to the sources.

good news for amd; i was wondering when someone would post this. glad to see objectivity is still alive at [H] <3

bad news for me... P55 is my target chipset for moving to a new platform because X58 is still too damn expensive.

More like the Phenom II came out, it sucked, and Intel feels no pressure to release anything.

Though it must be convenient that all this recession talk is being thrown around, gives them a nice excuse.

I'm sure there's a lot of Core2 to move out before introducing the i7 into the mainstream. Lower them prices Intel ! :cool:

More like all the retailers are sitting on warehouses full of p45 boards that no one wants

This puts someone like me in a jam. I was planning on a full system upgrade very soon. I have the tendency of waiting for benchmarks of the next bleeding-edge hardware before I purchase something.

i7 performance is head-spinning. So are the prices. Pass.

Phenom II, not so much for either. Pass.

The mainstream i7's were the next tech to wait for. Now it's a longer wait to find out.

Oh, what to do...?

This puts someone like me in a jam. I was planning on a full system upgrade very soon. I have the tendency of waiting for benchmarks of the next bleeding-edge hardware before I purchase something.

The mainstream i7's were the next tech to wait for. Now it's a longer wait to find out.

Oh, what to do...?

Unless you're running a Pentium 4 or something, just keep using your existing system. If you do happen to use a P4 or Athlon X2, you could build a temporary machine on a budget (Q6600 or PII-940 class) to hold you over until september or so.

I hope they don't push back the release of the 32nm core i7s. I'm thinking of upgrading to one of those but until then I'm sticking with my E6600.

I doubt the die shrink will slip. It'll roughly halve the cost of manufacturing the chips, and delaying it will impact the real world data needed to drive the R&D needed the bring the 22nm shrink of in 2011. Intel isn't going to risk squandering their having almost a 1 year process tech lead on the competition.

Holding off chipsets makes economic sense in a way that holding back the process shrink doesn't. They've already sunk the money in the research - and the cost-cutting from the process shrink is a real bonus in these economic times.

From what I have been reading, Intel is saying that DDR3 prices are one of the major reasons for customers not moving very fast to Core i7 systems.

DDR2 is very cheap, and many of us paid a lot for our first sticks of DDR2 when Core 2 Duo came out.

I for one can't afford to do that again with DDR3 at the moment.

So in another month or three, AMD will release the AM3 versions of the Phenom II, DDR3 demand and production will ramp up and DDR3 prices will go down. In three to six months, the economy will have recovered somewhat, Intel will have sold their excess Core2 inventory--and people willing to pay i7 prices will have done so--and they will lay the i5 smack down.

So in another month or three, AMD will release the AM3 versions of the Phenom II, DDR3 demand and production will ramp up and DDR3 prices will go down. In three to six months, the economy will have recovered somewhat, Intel will have sold their excess Core2 inventory--and people willing to pay i7 prices will have done so--and they will lay the i5 smack down.

Luckily AM3 procs work on AM2+ mobos that use DDR2.

I know on my x38 DDR3 prices are killers. I'm personally waiting for prices to fall before I go to i7.

Luckily AM3 procs work on AM2+ mobos that use DDR2.

But why would you bother getting an AM3 chip unless you were planning on upgrading to an AM3 chipset and DDR3 memory? 95W TDP? The 9x0 versions have the same speeds and cache as the 9x5 ones.

But why would you bother getting an AM3 chip unless you were planning on upgrading to an AM3 chipset and DDR3 memory? 95W TDP? The 9x0 versions have the same speeds and cache as the 9x5 ones.

It gives the user a choice to buy a DDR2 mobo and CHEAP ddr2 memory, and not have to worry about breaking the bank buying DDR3 memory. Its good thing for consumers :)

+ points and minus on the platforms that is worth and upcomming not worth buying, and to be "Eol"

Core2duo / Core2quad.

+got great dualcores.
+Highperformance, low TPD.
+High overclockability.

-Bad memory performance.
-Expensive motherboards for overclocking.
-memory counts on overclocking
-getting phased out.

Amd Phenom 2.
+Great performance for the bucks.
+Low TPD.
+Great overclocker, no results have been noted under 3.6 in the norwegian overclocking community, meaning 920's and 940's.
+High memory performance.
+Cheap platform, motherboards and memory come cheap.
+Tricores for the mid budget guys.

-Doesnt have any extreme products.
-Does not have high end dualcores for gaming people( e8400 e8500 ... any1?)
-does not have the extreme motherboards at the moment, but are getting released.

Core7.
+Multicore performance second to none.
+Extreme memory performance.
+Medium overclocker.
+high ipc.

-Very high price, gives little for the money for pure gamers.
-Very high platform price, motherboard and memory.
-could have had better TPD.
-does not have any dualcore options.

My opinion.
Got an LGA775 motherboard, dont change it, running 3 systems next to eachother, you can tell what youre sitting on at higher res.
HT link shines more and more the higher the resolution is.
Vmware users should look for core 7, or wait till they get cheaper.
Pure gaming users should either go budget and mild OC, 3.2 ghz holds for most games today no matter what model/brand(K10,C2d,CI7)

Phenom 2 doesnt suck, it beats intels offering in price, it doesnt best intel.
All guys with HD4xxx cards they now suck since GTX295 is the best card in the world......

If you want the best of the best, you already know the answer, and what i've said here, makes perfectly sense, i know hardocp staff probaly doesnt completly agree, but i playd crysis at highest settings possible at 2/3rd of the price you have to spend for core 7 system to get the same experience, so for gaming it doesnt matter that much.

But for other things core 7 represent a very good lead! and actually some value ;)

Gamers; got LGA775 stick with it, upgrade from older, consider AM3, pick what suites youre need! always, not what a review says, they can just give you some guidelines of what the product is and how they compare vs compotition(not really present here @ cpu's).

i just picked up an e5200, m-atx mobo, 4gb ocz reaper dd2 1066 ram for $225 from newegg a couple weeks ago. this is coming from the sig in my rig(which will be updated before too long), and i really cant see a reason to go any faster. i have my processor o/ced to 3.43ghz

the i7s just seem waaaay too expensive for what they offer.

OK, am I the only person who doesn't think DDR3 is that badly priced? I know DDR2 is cheaper than dirt, but there is no way in hell that DDR3 going to break the bank or is wildly overpriced.

The day after Christmas I ordered 12gb of OCZ DDR3 1600 for $290 (After 2 x $40 rebates. I had a friend order the 2nd kit to get around the one per household rule :cool:). I know I am an exception in needing that much (VMWare :D) but you can get 6gb for $150 and 3gb for $100 of decent DDR3 1600 and for even less if you go for only DDR3 1066.

I have been an early adopter for a long time now and the move to i7 was one of the cheapest in a long time. My first AMD X2 cost $660 and my first Q6600 cost just under $500. So being able to pick up a i7 for under $300 is awesome. My last 4 mobo upgrades have all been the same price of right around $300. Then there is RAM. My first upgrades to DDR and DDR2 both were $500+ adventures, so only spending $300 on DDR3 was great.

I guess it is all about perspective. My upgrades to my first P4 northwood, AMD X2, and Q6600 all came in around the $1500 mark. So while others are complaining about the prices, when my total bill was only around $900 I was very happy and gladly spent the rest of the $1500 I had saved for this elsewhere.

I also totally different expectations for my PC. I'm a console gamer, the last PC game I bought was UT2004, so I could care less about performance in games. My priorities are how well does the computer runs Virtual Machines and how fast can it encode video. For this i7 is worth every penny and blows my Q6600 (with 8gb of ram) out of the water.

OK, am I the only person who doesn't think DDR3 is that badly priced? I know DDR2 is cheaper than dirt, but there is no way in hell that DDR3 going to break the bank or is wildly overpriced.

The day after Christmas I ordered 12gb of OCZ DDR3 1600 for $290 (After 2 x $40 rebates. I had a friend order the 2nd kit to get around the one per household rule :cool:). I know I am an exception in needing that much (VMWare :D) but you can get 6gb for $150 and 3gb for $100 of decent DDR3 1600 and for even less if you go for only DDR3 1066.

I have been an early adopter for a long time now and the move to i7 was one of the cheapest in a long time. My first AMD X2 cost $660 and my first Q6600 cost just under $500. So being able to pick up a i7 for under $300 is awesome. My last 4 mobo upgrades have all been the same price of right around $300. Then there is RAM. My first upgrades to DDR and DDR2 both were $500+ adventures, so only spending $300 on DDR3 was great.

I guess it is all about perspective. My upgrades to my first P4 northwood, AMD X2, and Q6600 all came in around the $1500 mark. So while others are complaining about the prices, when my total bill was only around $900 I was very happy and gladly spent the rest of the $1500 I had saved for this elsewhere.

I also totally different expectations for my PC. I'm a console gamer, the last PC game I bought was UT2004, so I could care less about performance in games. My priorities are how well does the computer runs Virtual Machines and how fast can it encode video. For this i7 is worth every penny and blows my Q6600 (with 8gb of ram) out of the water.

Unlike you, most people build system primary for gaming, and thus the move to i7 doesn't bring that much gain in performance. That being said, I must agree with you that i7 isn't really that expensive if you take things into perspective. For me, I'll wait till the price comes closer to $500 before I make the jump. I don't have the luxury of being an early adopter lol.

QUOTE]

Nope. Looking back at prior desktop builds: I paid $190 for 2GB of DDR1-500 in april of 2006, and $115 for 1 GB of DDR1-400 in NOV 05. IIRC I payed around $150 for 256MB of DDR1-266 in Aug 01. Before the delayed adoption of DDR3 caused the bottom to fall out of the DDR2 market it was roughly $100 for entry level OCing ram and $200 for good OCing ram.

Currently the egg has 6GB of DDR3-1333 for $135 and 6GB-1600 for $166. This roughly aligns with the long term average for enthusiast memory. Prices for DDR3 two months ago when i7 first came out were ugly, but that was a short term anomoly.

I would agree that it does not seem that expensive to me either. I'm currently in the process of a full system build to prepare for the release of Aion and Windows 7. For around $1500 or a little more I'm getting an i7 w/ 6gb ddr3, decent ati card, CM HAF case, velociraptor, etc... It's gonna put my current build to shame. Prices have been much worse in the past for new builds, IMHO. Newegg FTW.

Time to unplug Neo... Besides, your system is fast enuff ;)
Unless you're running a Pentium 4 or something, just keep using your existing system. If you do happen to use a P4 or Athlon X2, you could build a temporary machine on a budget (Q6600 or PII-940 class) to hold you over until september or so.
My system is quite slow by todays standards.

AMD XP 2500+, nVidia 6800GT

"Slow" is defined by this system. I'm just surprised I can play Left4Dead on this rig. Misfortune and plain bad timing has prevented me from retiring this old dog for the last 3 years now. I guess I really don't have to be so picky, considering my PSP might be faster than this computer.

It gives the user a choice to buy a DDR2 mobo and CHEAP ddr2 memory, and not have to worry about breaking the bank buying DDR3 memory. Its good thing for consumers :)

You're missing the point. If you want to stick to cheap memory and have a Phenom II, you can get the currently available, DDR2-only, AM2+ Phenom II chips: 920 or 940. Yes, AM3 chips "will work" on AM2+ motherboards, but if you're trying to be price-conscious, why would you pay extra for the DDR3 memory controller? 925 and 945 will NOT be cheaper. Neither will the slower 910.

Unless, as I stated, your intention is to upgrade your motherboard at some future point. Regardless, if memory makers base DDR3 demand on DDR3-supported CPU sales, people who inadvisedly plug an AM3 chip in an AM2+ motherboard could cause a glut in DDR3 production. Increased inventories would spark a faster price decrease. I just don't see this scenario happening.

The upcoming dual-cores will be under the Athlon X2 brand (if you can wait until Q3) but I don't know that anything from AMD can be considered high-end right now (the shine is even starting to come off the 4870X2).

Wow, I sound like an Intel fan-boy in this thread and I've never owned any. Must be sour grapes?

You're missing the point. If you want to stick to cheap memory and have a Phenom II, you can get the currently available, DDR2-only, AM2+ Phenom II chips: 920 or 940. Yes, AM3 chips "will work" on AM2+ motherboards, but if you're trying to be price-conscious, why would you pay extra for the DDR3 memory controller? 925 and 945 will NOT be cheaper. Neither will the slower 910.

Unless, as I stated, your intention is to upgrade your motherboard at some future point. Regardless, if memory makers base DDR3 demand on DDR3-supported CPU sales, people who inadvisedly plug an AM3 chip in an AM2+ motherboard could cause a glut in DDR3 production. Increased inventories would spark a faster price decrease. I just don't see this scenario happening.

Because an AM3 925+DDR2 mobo+DDR2 memory will be alot cheaper then

AM3 925+DDR3 mobo+DDR3 memory.

Not everyone is rich like mr Dan_D

The entire i7 platform is WAY too expensive for what it offers, especially in this economy. As a small computer business owner I'm very happy that Intel has finally just given a hard schedule for what they are planning this year. Customers were just starting to get confused over whether they should wait for i7 package prices to decline or buy a 775 based system now.

The answer has just been made easy for the next six months. Thank you Intel for stepping up!

High end workstations and [H] enthusiasts with money to burn: Core i7 with DDR3
Everyone else: E8500, Q8200 and Q9550 on 775 with DDR2.

Oh, what to do...?

you should underclock your current rig, and then upgrade to a well-priced 775 setup. then it will feel like a major upgrade.

At least amds phenom 2 is backwards compatible with am2+. Makes it seem like a more reasonable upgrade.

Back