Intel Powers World’s Fastest Supercomputer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation today announced that its Intel® Xeon® 5600 series processors, announced earlier this year, are at the heart of the world’s most powerful supercomputer, the Tianhe-1A. Located at the National Supercomputing Center in Tianjin, China, Tianhe-1A contains 14,396 Intel processors accompanied by accelerator cards, and has demonstrated groundbreaking performance of 2.57 petaflops (quadrillions of calculations per second). In partnership with Inspur, a computer manufacturer in China, Intel worked closely with the National Supercomputing Center and its technology partners to achieve this groundbreaking performance.

What funny is that Intel and Nvidia both have a "feather in their cap" on this one...i.e. check out the other front page news item with the top5 supercomputers.

This would be lots of fun to overclock...but i'm not sure if you could run prime95 on it, and all of those waterblocks would be a pain in the ass.

Chi-coms shouldn't be allowed anywhere near this tech. Let them by PS3's from the Japs and hook them up instead. :D

We all would like to know what this super computer is for. I will bet it is or something that will be quite big.

Back