intel repackaging used/returned CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeetim

Limp Gawd
i bought an E6600 from Fry's in a new sealed box, but after close inspection there were marks on the cpu like a heatsink had been sitting on it and there was a finger print. I had my sister take it back to Fry's for an exchange. I looked at the new box she brought back and there were marks on it too, like a heatsink was installed. Is this normal? Does Intel repackage their returned chips? If it works then I really don't have a problem. I'm just curious. What about you folks who bought their cpu's at the egg, any marks/scratches?

The only thing I could think of, is that maybe if you bought OEM it may have a small amount of scratches due to shipping, but all retail cpu's should be flawless

It is not going to be Intel if you are correct,. newegg maybe, they do sell refurb and traded up video cards.

The only thing I could think of, is that maybe if you bought OEM it may have a small amount of scratches due to shipping, but all retail cpu's should be flawless

now i'm really confused, 'cause I bought retail. maybe Fry's has their own Intel Factory Sealed stickers and box?:eek:

they probably did repackage it, I would not be surprised because some stores will do that to cut costs. Most people shun away from buying refurbs so if they think its in a good nuff condition to resell they will. Just take it back.

I believe it. Fry's has a lot of return for cpu and either they end up being sold as oem or get send back for repackage as retail. I once bought a week 24 E6600 from Fry's and the box said like 11/31/06. Since week 24 was one of the first if not first to release, it didnt seem right it had such a late pack date.

they probably did repackage it, I would not be surprised because some stores will do that to cut costs. Most people shun away from buying refurbs so if they think its in a good nuff condition to resell they will. Just take it back.

I took it back once already. i'm emotionally drained:D

I believe it. Fry's has a lot of return for cpu and either they end up being sold as oem or get send back for repackage as retail. I once bought a week 24 E6600 from Fry's and the box said like 11/31/06. Since week 24 was one of the first if not first to release, it didnt seem right it had such a late pack date.

mine says L628B368, package date 10/30/06

Intel does test them so it's possible it could come from the factory that way. In such a case the heatsink shouldn't look like it was used.

Fry's has a known history for repackaging returns and attempting to sell it as new.

It's fry's... no question about it.

Fry's has a known history for repackaging returns and attempting to sell it as new.

It's fry's... no question about it.

Hell yeah they do. They have all the machines and stickers to repackage. I would NEVER buy anything at fry's. There was a HUGE page of people who posted their bad experience with fry's and it was mostly their repacking stuff.

What is real funny is people read all that, have been burned before by their sh!t, and the dam people still go back because they have good deals..... If you buy something there and it doesnt work, well you get what you asked for from shopping there.

Have I shopped there for computer stuff? Yeah, ONCE. Waited in their LONG return line which I have never seen empty, and never made the mistake again.

I am a system builder...and lately I have seen several Core 2 Duo chips come new from my supplier (who is an authorized Intel distributor) with similar marks. A faint round circular mark (almost like the circular thermal material on the stock Intel Heatsinks) and fingerprints as well. I think they are coming right from Intel this way.

I am a system builder...and lately I have seen several Core 2 Duo chips come new from my supplier (who is an authorized Intel distributor) with similar marks. A faint round circular mark (almost like the circular thermal material on the stock Intel Heatsinks) and fingerprints as well. I think they are coming right from Intel this way.

They need to buy that guy on the assembly line a pair of fuggin gloves and teach him how to clean that crap off then.

Hell yeah they do. They have all the machines and stickers to repackage. I would NEVER buy anything at fry's. There was a HUGE page of people who posted their bad experience with fry's and it was mostly their repacking stuff.

What is real funny is people read all that, have been burned before by their sh!t, and the dam people still go back because they have good deals..... If you buy something there and it doesnt work, well you get what you asked for from shopping there.

Have I shopped there for computer stuff? Yeah, ONCE. Waited in their LONG return line which I have never seen empty, and never made the mistake again.

Jeez, everybody is always hating on Fry's. I don't get it. Fry's is one of my favorite stores. I bought stuff from them that someone else has returned before. It's always been clearly marked as previously opened and discounted. I've even been able to haggle prices with them on their returned goods.

Anytime I've had a problem with anything from them they've taken extremely good care of me. I've used them as my own personal parts shack. Anytime I've had a problem with my rig that I couldn't figure out and it comes down to replacing components, I'll go down to Fry's pick up the part and see if that fixes my problem. If not, back it goes and try the next potential problem part.

As long as it works , what's the problem ?

Maybe you've just returned a great overclocker... ;)

They need to buy that guy on the assembly line a pair of fuggin gloves and teach him how to clean that crap off then.

Or, stop being a baby. CPU's ALWAYS come with scuffs, scratches, and fingerpritns ont he CPU. It's common on 90% of CPU's. Its not going to affect anything in any way, so it doesnt matter.

Fry's may be repacking returns, but when you consider that 90%+ of those are perfectly functional and are only coming back because they didn't OC to 3.5Ghz, I don't think it's quite the travesty everyone here is making it out to be.

Test it out. If it runs fine, save your gas.

Or, stop being a baby. CPU's ALWAYS come with scuffs, scratches, and fingerpritns ont he CPU. It's common on 90% of CPU's. Its not going to affect anything in any way, so it doesnt matter.

Huh? wtf ? Not the ones I buy. (mostly newegg and zzf) and while the occasional scratched Heatspreader might get by Intel quality the guy that missed it would get chewed out if he made a habit of it. This is modern mass production of a precision electronic component guys. I strongly doubt it is even touched by human hands (and if it was they would have on gloves and static wrist strap) unless its the 1 out of a thousand they pull to do QA and then it would not be resold.

Dont think you will find an Intel factory with a line of people stuffing cpus into boxes, think automated assembly and testing and lots of robots.

Here is some propaganda latter part of the manufacturing and packaging video most to the point.
http://intelpr.feedroom.com/ifr_mai...e22fx110315b9837xw6e7b&rdm=127963.55735182918

Jeez, everybody is always hating on Fry's. I don't get it. Fry's is one of my favorite stores. I bought stuff from them that someone else has returned before. It's always been clearly marked as previously opened and discounted. I've even been able to haggle prices with them on their returned goods.

Anytime I've had a problem with anything from them they've taken extremely good care of me. I've used them as my own personal parts shack. Anytime I've had a problem with my rig that I couldn't figure out and it comes down to replacing components, I'll go down to Fry's pick up the part and see if that fixes my problem. If not, back it goes and try the next potential problem part.

This is probably over half of Fry's "repackaged" stuff. And in those cases, the repackaged (and discounted) item is as good as new. Fry's isn't as bad as most people make it out to be since they're good with returns, you just have to go in understanding there's a bit of risk (temporary) associated with the good deals.

[/B]

This is probably over half of Fry's "repackaged" stuff. And in those cases, the repackaged (and discounted) item is as good as new. Fry's isn't as bad as most people make it out to be since they're good with returns, you just have to go in understanding there's a bit of risk (temporary) associated with the good deals.

Or you could order from newegg.com and know your getting something NEW. :)
Fry's isnt bad as long as it isnt repackaged. Ive seen stuff that had bad written on it from people who bought it repackaged like that. No thanks. I dont like to gamble with my computer. And thats if they happen to put all the stickers on. Newegg has my business.

What the heck are you talking about?
get you facts straight then post

I used to work at fry's in the cpu/memory/motherboard/case department
and they dont have all the machines and stickers to repackage stuff like you are claiming..

instead of blaming the store.. blame the costumers that go buy stuff only to test the product for the given time returns are allowed.. and then they decide to return it.

as for recreating the intel factory seal.. they cant or they will have problems with intel

I have ordered two retail processors from newegg and both came with some marks.. I installed them and they work fine..
so they come like that from the manufacture

What the heck are you talking about?
get you facts straight then post

I used to work at fry's in the cpu/memory/motherboard/case department
and they dont have all the machines and stickers to repackage stuff like you are claiming..

instead of blaming the store.. blame the costumers that go buy stuff only to test the product for the given time returns are allowed.. and then they decide to return it.

as for recreating the intel factory seal.. they cant or they will have problems with intel

I have ordered two retail processors from newegg and both came with some marks.. I installed them and they work fine..
so they come like that from the manufacture

Facts? The one by me in Temp, AZ, you can see it in the backroom. Thats just that one. Have you ever read the sticker? It says its been opened and repackaged? They also have a strapper from the MB boxes. :) You are more then welcome to buy from them, nobody is stopping you. You can buy returned items all you want, more power to you.

I never said anything about scrapes, that was another person. I worked for Motorola, I know stuff can be touched.

Fry's does repackage returns (reshrinked and rebanded boxes), most of the time they mark them down, but they do miss the occasional item. I've bought "new" items from them with parts missing, dust on the item, manuals for other items, COMPLETELY WRONG items in "new" boxes. They need to train their returns staff a little better. Just do what I do, inspect the item before walking out of the store with it. If it looks like it was opened, ask for another one. Verify everything that is supposed to be included before leaving.

@Hagrid

lol.. in you original post. you were accussing them of repackaging everything.. when actually is not
only a few
and yes the labels are placed on the box to let the costumer know it was used as a warning

they put those products back with the label because the reason for return was other than "defective"
is a retail store. they dont have the equiptment to test returned products. so they go by the costumer word

look over again at that post you made.. you are generalizing the whole store name as repackaging and having bad products.. when is actually is not..hence you dont have your facts straight

also that motherboard strapper thing is used when the product is received so that there is no theft from costumers
and again used if the returned motherboard is not defective so that contents are not stolen.

as for the scrapes thing it was meant to the original poster
learn to differentiate in the text context

@Hagrid

lol.. in you original post. you were accussing them of repackaging everything.. when actually is not
only a few
and yes the labels are placed on the box to let the costumer know it was used as a warning

they put those products back with the label because the reason for return was other than "defective"
is a retail store. they dont have the equiptment to test returned products. so they go by the costumer word

look over again at that post you made.. you are generalizing the whole store name as repackaging and having bad products.. when is actually is not..hence you dont have your facts straight

also that motherboard strapper thing is used when the product is received so that there is no theft from costumers
and again used if the returned motherboard is not defective so that contents are not stolen.

Hmmm. here is that post.

I re read my post and i said they repackage and have stickers.
Since english might be your second language, i will explain. When i said repacking and stickers that means that they put the stickers on the little boxes. The stickers say it has been repackaged?
If you need more clarification, sorry, I cant explain everything to you. You will ahve to leanr on your own.

@Hagrid

only a few

I didnt generalize anything. I said they repackage and have stickers. They repackage and put the stickers on them. Which they do? Hooked on phonics?? hello?

I am not going to keep arguing with you..
please dont come out and say english is my second language.. I know english perfectly well and you still dont make any sense.. so I'll leave it at that...
being a college student.. I worked there for a time to make some money..
and I suggest again to re-read your posts.. maybe you will get what I am saying...

returning the thread to ontopic..

the marks I saw on the processors I bought maybe they were due to the machines presssing the cover on the processor?

that could explain why some processor come with the marks and some dont

I am not going to keep arguing with you..
please dont come out and say english is my second language.. I know english perfectly well and you still dont make any sense.. so I'll leave it at that...
being a college student.. I worked there for a time to make some money..
and I suggest again to re-read your posts.. maybe you will get what I am saying...

returning the thread to ontopic..

the marks I saw on the processors I bought maybe they were due to the machines presssing the cover on the processor?

that could explain why some processor come with the marks and some dont

ROFL Where did i say the marks were from being used? That was another person. Not me.
What you are saying is nothing. You havnt been right in anything in this thread. From the beginning all I have said is they repackage stuff and that they have the equipment. My goodness its like talking to my teenagers.....

sigh man. you really are child in here.
learn to differentiate in the text :rolleyes:

I was returning the thread back to topic and again I am referring to the original poster
just leave it like that.. you are the one making yourself look like a fool

sigh man. you really are child in here.
learn to differentiate in the text :rolleyes:

I was returning the thread back to topic and again I am referring to the original poster
just leave it like that.. you are the one making yourself look like a fool

Then why put it under a quote from me? Who said they dont repackage stuff? The fool is on you. Acting like a child? Hmm, a child who is correct and telling the truth. I wasnt trying to argue, I was trying to state facts to people. That was the bottom line.

As far as the topic, yes. I havnt bought a CPU from them.
I havnt read frys stuff in a while. I hope they are not allowed to resell cpu's that have been opened at least not full price?
If they do that, then those prints wouldnt be from the factory totally.

Has anybody bought a CPU from frys that wasnt in the original packaging or has been opened? I dont think that would be good. (Of course im assuming they put the sticker on it to protect themselves)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back