Intel SSDs are going to half in price AGAIN

Well, you might as well buy them now, since its probably going to take a few months for these new drives to get out

Word of warning: Just as we lost some performance and endurance going from SLC to MLC, we might lose more going from MLC to 3x or 4x. They probably have it well optimized, but it's something to keep in mind.

If you read the article Engadget links to, you find out that these chips aren't ready for SSD usage yet. They're going to be used in USB flash drives and the like first, they're not quite ready for SSDs. Still, good news going forward, and sooner or later this should make some positive impacts for SSDs.

There's still a lot of performance to be had in Intel's SSDs. They are only using 10 channels per controller and they have fit 20 chips in their 2.5" drives.

Awesome. This may be what I've been waiting for.

SSDs at around $1/GB is reasonable enough for me. :)

I already ordered an 80GB G2 drive, I think Ill be happy with it until SATA3 drives/controllers start to hit.
Sequential writes aren't that important and sequential reads are maxing the bus.
But yes, these 3bpc and 4bpc chips are looking interesting long term. 4bpc, 2 channel controller, sata3 is going to make for some damn fast SSDs.

Mm..exponential growth. This really is fantastic, even if I did just spring for one of the 80 GB G2 drives...

Tarrosion

I've still got a pair of G1 80GB Intel X25-M's. They are probably the only components I've purchased in years that actually improved my system performance in day to day and general usage type tasks. Now using a system with mechanical system drives is painful for me. At this price I may very well pick up more of them and use the X25-M's I've got for my HTPC and server systems. Finally removing mechanical drives as boot devices from almost all my systems.

I've still got a pair of G1 80GB Intel X25-M's. They are probably the only components I've purchased in years that actually improved my system performance in day to day and general usage type tasks. Now using a system with mechanical system drives is painful for me. At this price I may very well pick up more of them and use the X25-M's I've got for my HTPC and server systems. Finally removing mechanical drives as boot devices from almost all my systems.
Did you RAID yours or use them seperately?

If you read the article Engadget links to, you find out that these chips aren't ready for SSD usage yet. They're going to be used in USB flash drives and the like first, they're not quite ready for SSDs

QFT.

Progress is progress but don't look for a 50% decrease anytime soon. ;)

The two X25-M's I'm using now are only 80GB drives which I felt was insufficient for my needs. So they are in RAID-0 right now.

I'd love to get 2x SSD's and raid them but I run into problems with that :(

1. No dedicated raid card
2 ICH9R

I'm debating between the intel vs patriot torqx series. I love the warranty on the Patriots, they seem fairly reliable and are well reviewed. Just not too sure about their FW supports and the likes. The only issue with intel's SSD is that they are just so small >_>. Granted my setup would look something like this,

1. SSD - OS
2. 2x640WD Blacks RAID0 - Games/Programs (though I'm debating on putting certain games/programs on the SSD, just can't decide which ones)
3. 1,2x 1TB Caviar Blcks - Storage

Has there been any mention of data retention times?
ie can these hold data for more than a year without needing to be refreshed?

Back