Intel SSD's, TRIM, and RAID

maverick0817

Limp Gawd
So heres the deal, im getting a x25-m 80gb g2 for a very good price ($119). So I figured I would buy a 2nd one at regular price and run RAID 0. My question is, have they figured out a way to support TRIM with RAID? Can I use my motherboards raid controller, or should I buy a seperate one? Thanks for the help.

They do not even have TRIM working on the X25-M yet, at least not without a risk of bricking the drive.

The TRIM command has to be supported by the RAID controller, and I'm pretty sure Intel is going to update their drivers to support that soon. Other manufacturers are already working on it too I think.

No, I have also seen reports of people losing empty drives. If you read through the threads all over various forums, including intel's own, you will see people in all kinds of scenarios losing drives. There doesn't seem to be a common thread other than of course the new firmware which is pretty telling.

No, I have also seen reports of people losing empty drives. If you read through the threads all over various forums, including intel's own, you will see people in all kinds of scenarios losing drives. There doesn't seem to be a common thread other than of course the new firmware which is pretty telling.

Links and statistics? Sure there might have been a few people here or there that had problems with all kinds of configurations, but that always happens. The trend... ie: the big problem was Win 7 already installed.

Almost everyone with problems were people with Windows 7 already installed. Then they had problems after their first reboot.

I'm using TRIM on my WinXP install I have it schedule to run weekly as thats plenty enough to keep it running optimally. I did notice a fairly noticeable increase after TRIM'ing the drive. My random 512Kb writes went up like 30% from like 60+Mb/s back up to 80+Mb/s.

Anyone that risk bricking their drive on an "almost" is an idiot. Wait a few weeks and get the working patch. It won't take them long to fix the problem. Impatience now may mean that while everyone else is loading their new patch, you will be RMA'n your drive.

Jason

Anyone that risk bricking their drive on an "almost" is an idiot. Wait a few weeks and get the working patch. It won't take them long to fix the problem. Impatience now may mean that while everyone else is loading their new patch, you will be RMA'n your drive.

Jason
Actually it may take a very long time for Intel to figure out what happened with the firmware. They are now asking people who posted on their forum to send them their bricked drives in order for them to figure out what went wrong. My guess is that we won't see a new firmware for at least a month, if not longer. Also worth mentioning is that the current product shortages are going to get worse due to the high number of RMAs that occurred as a result of this. Intel really screwed themselves over with the poor availability of this drive and the two firmware botches. My advice would be to wait for the next generation of SSDs which are sure to be faster, larger, cheaper, and have worked out some of the bugs of this generation. And quite possibly they may also offer SATA 6.0 which would offer a huge boost.

I have heard nothing from Intel even indicating that there will be TRIM support for RAID in the future. All I hear is speculation from forum goers assuming that Intel will do it. There was also speculation that Intel was going to enable TRIM for the G1 drives, look how that turned out. I am not holding my breath for TRIM support for RAID.

Links and statistics? Sure there might have been a few people here or there that had problems with all kinds of configurations, but that always happens. The trend... ie: the big problem was Win 7 already installed.

Almost everyone with problems were people with Windows 7 already installed. Then they had problems after their first reboot.

I'm using TRIM on my WinXP install I have it schedule to run weekly as thats plenty enough to keep it running optimally. I did notice a fairly noticeable increase after TRIM'ing the drive. My random 512Kb writes went up like 30% from like 60+Mb/s back up to 80+Mb/s.

http://communities.intel.com/message/72490

Last edited:

Well according to your link: http://communities.intel.com/thread/7798?start=0&tstart=0
those #'s back up what I was saying. Look at the stats in the first post.

So all of the bad drives were on already installed Win7 (mostly 64-bit) drives.

The drives that were reformatted / clean for the firmware flash were ALL fine. ZERO BAD
REFORMAT/ERASE
AAA - GOOD=01 BAD=00
AIA -- GOOD=01 BAD=00
IIA ---- GOOD=01 BAD=00

I saw one person with a Gentoo Linux drive partially messed up. But I question if that person knows what they're doing. Plus they had 4 partitions on their drive? Who divides an 80Gb drive in to 4 partitions?!

Last edited:
Back