Intel to announce "lightspeed" chip

Bao01

Limp Gawd
Researchers at Intel and the University of California, Santa Barbara are expected to announce the development of a chip that can transfer data using photons instead of wires. The chip is based on a technology that allows Intel to amplify lasers in silicon and is said to now use an Indium Phosphide-based laser, which can endure higher tempartures than initial test lasers.

According to media reports, the chip could at least double the bandwidth of today's fastest chips to 20 Gb/s and reach speeds up to 40 Gb/s

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/18/intel_laser_chip/

Does this mean the FSB will soldier on?

§kynet said:
Here we go again. I've heard this kind of thing before from Intel.

What I've heard before is the same FUD about Intel with a link to an Inquirer article making stuff up. Do you RTFA before you link it? Intel what? Who says Intel has said anything? Did you read my quote before you thread crapped?

Actually, what it sounds like is that we won't end up with a light-speed chip, but a light-speed bus. The article I saw on Engadget sounded like these lasers would be more useful for chip-to-chip communication. What better application could their be than the CPU to MCH interface? Though an actual end-user product using this technology seems years away, it would alleviate Intel's little bottleneck problem nicely if it could be used today.

TheBluePill said:
Don't feed the trolls. I'm pretty sure he was asking where anyone other than the Inq ever said that Intel would reach 10 GHz. Intel has a press release saying they've made a laser out of these materials. They never made a press release saying they had a chip running at 10 GHz.

Be happy they didn't try to stick to their 10 GHz plans, or we'd all be using Netburst CPUs that require phase-change cooling.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Actually, what it sounds like is that we won't end up with a light-speed chip, but a light-speed bus. The article I saw on Engadget sounded like these lasers would be more useful for chip-to-chip communication. What better application could their be than the CPU to MCH interface? Though an actual end-user product using this technology seems years away, it would alleviate Intel's little bottleneck problem nicely if it could be used today.

Don't feed the trolls. I'm pretty sure he was asking where anyone other than the Inq ever said that Intel would reach 10 GHz. Intel has a press release saying they've made a laser out of these materials. They never made a press release saying they had a chip running at 10 GHz.

Be happy they didn't try to stick to their 10 GHz plans, or we'd all be using Netburst CPUs that require phase-change cooling.

Thanks! I admit I was being too brief. But, I'm sure glad someone gets it ;)

Maybe it's too early to say how this would affect bus development, but 40Gb/s is nothing to balk at.

If only this could be implemented in time for Kentsfield to shut up all the Sharikou clones out there.

Or implemented on the Southbridge for an optical link, as more an more people will have fiber available to their homes.

It kind of doesn't make sense as a chip to chip interface (CPU to NB or NB to SB, etc), as by the time they implement it, we could have a complete system on one chip. So when we have system on a chip. CPU/NB/SB..... all on one die...we could have the optical available as the networking directly on the chip!

I guess down the road, we could have a system with fibers between the memory, CPU, storage (harddrives or whatever). So instead of SATA wire, maybe a fiber optic wire?

Where I could see this being very useful would be for multi CPU's or clusters. A cluster server, but instead of NIC for interconnects straight fibers! That could be cool!

Back