Intel user switching over to AMD... which board?

Volume

2[H]4U
So I'm deciding to try out AMD64 instead of my Intel P4... just for kicks.

Anyway, I remember back in the day the IC7-MAX3 was the top board for Intels, at least as I saw it. I'm looking for opinions on what the best 64 motherboard would be for somebody who is into heavy gaming and occasional air-cooled overclocking.

The video must be AGP!

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

DFI UT NF3 Ultra-D

Here's the board that you want. Oh, just to let you know if you can wait a little then I would suggest getting a motherboard based on the ULI1695 chipset (AGP/PCI-E both workable at once).

Another option is the Asus A8V Deluxe, as Via's K8T800 PRO chipset is rock solid and overclocks decently as well. The Nforce and Via chipsets have all the same features too, so either board is a good buy.

tornadotsunamilife said:
What are the gains of using nf3 now? Is it because it's S754? I'd personally go S939 and get the dfi nf4 ultra-d.
He said he needs AGP and that DFI board is S939.

Go for the Asus A8V Deluxe or the Abit AV8 or anything else that's VIA K8T800 PRO based. This gives you AGP8X and most of the features of the newer NF4 Ultra boards. I don't see why you would go NF3 when the VIA boards are rock solid and have more features.

Go with the DFI nf3 you will do much better then if you got a VIA based mobo. Much.

I heard the NF3 boards are nothing but trouble, but some people like them so I guess it's luck of the draw.

The NF3 boards are much better in performance and feature set but are just like a good woman, they need time and proper caring to get to the point of stability and uber-high performance. On the other hand, the Via board is like a whore, it works, right off the bat, doesn't need much attention, and doesn't provide anything extraordinary.

I saw that you had Corsair XMS in your sig...do you plan on using that? If you do, don't get the DFI. You don't want to mix DFI and Corsair. :(

i had problems with my via based MSI K8T Neo board when i installed my new sound card. HDA Mystic 7.1, from that day on, i swear to never purchase another via board again..

I've been pleased with my gigabyte board so far and would recommend it to others, as long as you don't need 4 sata ports and want to overclock.

If you need just 2 sata ports then overclocking is peachy with it.

Back