Intel X25-M, unable to multitask (writes)

jjz-

Limp Gawd
Hi folks,

I was wondering if this is normal, or if it is something unique.

I have had an X25-M gen 1 since they were introduced, and it has always given me a problem where if I am installing something, copying something, or doing something that results in lots of writes to the disk, I cannot easily use the computer for any other task.

For example, let's say I am installing a game. While this is going on, trivial tasks (cpu load wise) such as browsing text-only websites become riddled with long pauses between each website load, as the computer completely freezes each time I navigate to a new website.

Trying to play a game while lots of writes are going on is basically impossible, even quake would drop to the teens or completely freeze for seconds at a time.

Is this really supposed to be happening? I don't think so.

Thanks for your time,

-Ian

Sounds like the SATA settings are screwed up, the drivers are bad, or the SSD is going bad. I run mine on a netbook and I've never had that problem, let alone a desktop.

Have you had the chance to test any other drives, be in HDD or SSD?

I agree, something is wrong.

Are you on an AMD or Intel system?

SATA 1,2,3? (1.5gbps, 3gbps, 6gbps)
AHCI enabled?
Intel RST installed?

I don't think it's the SSD going bad, because this problem has persisted since I first bought the SSD, and that was a few years back.

I have Sata 3gbps, and AHCI enabled. I didn't take any extra steps to install an updated version of RST.

hmmm.... I'm out of ideas, I'm sorry :(

my only real idea was on Intel laptops and their agressive chipset power saving functionality...

Seriously, you need to try a different drive with that same SATA cable and slot, preferably a SSD if you can.

It really sounds like the drive is screwed up. Test a different drive.

Well, I'm getting a new one as soon as the intel x25-M G3 comes out.

I will try a different sata slot and test out this drive with a different sata cable too.

If the drive is messed up, I will be quite angry, because I purchased this drive from someone at hardocp.

Since it's a G1, the lack of TRIM might be the cause. Without it, all SSDs will get slower and slower until they start behaving like the old JMicron drives that paused with any writing.

Crystalmark says the ssd's write and read speeds are about as high as new.

Since it's a G1, the lack of TRIM might be the cause. Without it, all SSDs will get slower and slower until they start behaving like the old JMicron drives that paused with any writing.
\
I'm running an 80GB G1, and I've seen very little deterioration over the last one year it's been installed.

Crystalmark says the ssd's write and read speeds are about as high as new.
Why don't you post the benchmark it would give us so much more to talk about.

Did you enable NCQ, for example? Do the CDM scores reflect that? It would display as the 4K-32 random read test having about 10 times as high as score as the 4K random read test. If those are about the same, then NCQ/AHCI is disabled.

Id try sanitary erase, then a full reinstall to see if it fixes the problem. You should be running the latest mobo drivers and AHCI in the bios. I run Windows 7 on a 2yr old vertex 1 drive with games and has not done anything like you said.

My only suggestion to you is to try installing the Intel firmware update. There was a firmware update released by Intel sometime in 2009. I remember my G1 got slightly better scores in HDDTune and it also climbed .2 in the WEI after flashing the new firmware. But I didn't experience the stuttering issues you encountered, not once, ever out of the box so I doubt this will fix anything.

Past that and some other people's suggestions, I suggest an RMA. As a fellow X25-M G1 owner (since spring 2009) who has installed/downloaded many things while browsing the web, I can tell you what you are describing is not normal.

As a fellow X25-M G1 owner (since spring 2009) who has installed/downloaded many things while browsing the web, I can tell you what you are describing is not normal.
As a past G1 owner I totally agree.

I'm thinkin' this isn't a drive problem and the OP needs to look elsewhere for the solution.

What does the task manager look like when these problems are happening?

I would like to know the cause of this in case it happens to others. :)

Back