Intel X25-MG2, Newegg auto RMAs?

They have an obligation to send out drives that were already billed for customers that don't care about the recall. It was sold (money changed hands from me to them) and marked as out for shipment, so they basically confiscated my property and offered collateral for it. It would be like Best Buy stopping you as you leave with your purchase after you've paid for it and forcing you to return it. They just can't do that, no matter what.

Not good.

My first thought when getting the auto-RMA email was that there would be a shipping label you could print out to return the drive if you would have liked. Not that they would not give any option at all. It's one thing to force a recall on a drive that will catch fire and burn your house down, it's another thing to force recall a drive that has a bug that affects about .01% of users.

Last edited:
Is buy.com to be believed?
They are a lifetime 4 out of 10 on resellerratings.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Buy

Also, look for that Intel part number on their site, nowhere to be found.

The only drive they have stock on is the G1 version.

Here is where you order what you think will be a G2 drive and you get a G1 shipped to you....GUARANTEED!

Last edited:
Is buy.com to be believed?

Up to you. Newegg has excellent ratings and yet here we are. I've purchased from both and only had issue with one.

Also, look for that Intel part number on their site, nowhere to be found.

The part (SSDSA2MH160G2C1) is on Intel's site here. It's the same part listed on Newegg. I'll refrain from suggesting you don't fact check, oh wait... darn. :D

Last edited:
Newegg's final response is that I will have to wait for the relaunch to get the drive. They handled the recall with pretty poor form in my opinion.

They just can't do that, no matter what.
Newegg's final response is that I will have to wait for the relaunch to get the drive

Say what?

They value Intel more than your business?

If you're soo pissed, vote with your wallet?

I'd say Intel is the one to inconvience you by releasing an incomplete product and requesting a recall from suppliers.

Vote with your wallet...no more Intel!

Newegg's final response is that I will have to wait for the relaunch to get the drive. They handled the recall with pretty poor form in my opinion.

How is it "poorly conducted" if the drive was inherently defective? You were not damaged by not having the drive now than you would have to wait for it later, so I don't understand your argument against Newegg. They, in good faith, recalled the drives preemptively before any sort of damage can be inflicted upon buyers. Sure, the defect is pretty specific, but there would have been people who changed their SSD's BIOS password and then changed it, thereby causing data corruption.

Intel made the bad drive, blame them if anyone. If you can't stand waiting, then get a Vertex. If you can wait, then wait. Unfortunately, "damages" in the case of "I wanted to try it before the weekend" won't fly as tangible damages in a court of law. :rolleyes:

They gave you $10 credit to their store, too, so I really don't see what they did wrong here.

...The part (SSDSA2MH160G2C1) is on Intel's site here. It's the same part listed on Newegg. I'll refrain from suggesting you don't fact check, oh wait... darn. :D

I'll refrain from suggesting you didn't read my post. ;)

I was referring clearly to buy.com and stated that,
at the time of my post, buy.com did not have any reference
to the G2 through its search function, even though a live
link posted here seemed to work. Buy.com has just been
far more than iffy for far too long not to distrust them.

It has been recalled for a bug. Just be glad, that they auto-rma'd it and you didn't need to do it yourself, cos shipping it back would have made you pissed and cost you money. Don't know how long it's going to take to fix the issue though.

Buy.com is also facing a class action lawsuit in regards to the reservation rewards third party info sellout that they've been profiting on for a fair while.

On that fact alone you shouldn't buy anything from them.

...I'd say Intel is the one to inconvience you by releasing an incomplete product and requesting a recall from suppliers... Vote with your wallet...no more Intel!

How is it "poorly conducted" if the drive was inherently defective? You were not damaged by not having the drive now... SSD's BIOS password and then changed it, thereby causing data corruption... Intel made the bad drive, blame them if anyone. If you can't stand waiting, then get a Vertex. If you can wait, then wait. Unfortunately, "damages" in the case of "I wanted to try it before the weekend" won't fly as tangible damages in a court of law. :rolleyes:

They gave you $10 credit to their store, too, so I really don't see what they did wrong here.

It has been recalled for a bug. Just be glad, that they auto-rma'd it and you didn't need to do it yourself, cos shipping it back would have made you pissed and cost you money. Don't know how long it's going to take to fix the issue though.

Shipping it back at my option wouldn't have pissed me off. I'd have been a bit ticked at Intel if the bug affected me, but it doesn't nor does it affect many other people (less than 1% maybe?). Like I said earlier, a mass forced recall for a widespread hard to avoid bug is one thing. A mass forced recall for a trivial bug like this is another. Don't set a drive password and you are peachy, if you do set one then just don't unset or change it and you are peachy (how many people change a drive password once it is set anyway... 10% of that 1% that set a password in the first place?) The firmware fix will be ready soon and Intel's updates are very easy to install.

I wanted the drive now because I was planning a trip and I'm leaving in 5 days. I would have had the drive several days ago with plenty of time to move my data from my slow laptop drive to the much faster Intel. I did not want the Vertex because they don't have size suitable (160GB is perfect for me) and Intel has shown much higher levels of engineering prowess in their drives in my opinion. Being forced to wipe the drive to update the firmware doesn't sit well with me, with Intel their firmware updates have been data safe (or completely optional in the first place).

As to a court of law... I'm certainly not going to try to sue Newegg over this. But as soon as they withdrew money out of my account (and they did, not just a hold), the drive became my property. They then seized my property over a trivial bug. They should have held the shipments, sent out a notice via email or phone, and found out what the customer wanted to do. If they want to have complete control over the product, it shouldn't be billed until it leaves their hands. But when I expressed my wishes to receive my property, they declined, which is why the recall was poorly conducted.

this recall doesnt seem to be affecting uk suppliers, overclockers delivered mine this morning, they just say to update the firmware when it drops and dont password protect your bios or change it if it already has one till the fw drops

As to a court of law... I'm certainly not going to try to sue Newegg over this. But as soon as they withdrew money out of my account (and they did, not just a hold), the drive became my property. They then seized my property over a trivial bug. They should have held the shipments, sent out a notice via email or phone, and found out what the customer wanted to do. If they want to have complete control over the product, it shouldn't be billed until it leaves their hands. But when I expressed my wishes to receive my property, they declined, which is why the recall was poorly conducted.

The point remains, you make it sound like Newegg stole your property when it hasn't been delivered yet. They reserve the right to divert shipment away for reasons such as Intel's recall of the SSDs. Sure, the bug may have been "trivial" but obviously Newegg didn't feel that way and decided to reduce any chance of liability due to this potentially catastrophic but specifically triggered bug.

You're not out any money, you're actually ahead in terms of the $10 credit they gave you for the withdrawal. You're only out the satisfaction of having your product now rather than later. It sucks, yes, but get over it. :)

Why are you telling me to get over it? I wanted it now, I worked with Newegg to try to get it now, they refused. I posted transcripts of what went down for anyone else thinking of trying the same thing.

Then we have a few people who butt in with their opinion, which is fine, but when I give my opinion back I don't care if you like it or not. So you get over it! :)

Back