Intelligent quotes in games are awesome...

GenBanks

Gawd
Civilization IV has drilled loads of really profound quotes into my brain.

Like the one from Augustine, about "two cities have been formed by two loves, the earthly by love of self, the heavenly by love of God"

and "all the world's a stage, all the men and women merely players; they have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts"

or "I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law"... these are just off the top of my head.

I bet most civ players have lots of philosophical quotes stuck in their heads.

Point being, I want more games that can drill quotes into my head. Because of the amount of time that we often spend playing games, little tidbits of educational material like that really sticks into your head.
Can you guys think of other (non-educational) games that teach you stuff?
:D

So yeah... Civ V please?

(PS - only reason I thought of this is that the Augustine quote came in really handy in a political thought lecture today :p)

Civ FTW. Loved Leonard Nimoy's voiceovers, so Spock-like-ly appropriate.

CoD4 had some awesome quotes!

US Airforce Marshal: "It is highly inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." :p

"What are you? Some bottom-feeding, scum sucking algae eater?"

Actually, I think Call of Duty (1) and Operation Flashpoint also had serious historical quotes after you got killed.

The BIG difference, however, is that they were not read out as they are so brilliantly by Leonard Nimoy in Civ IV. They were just written there.

Also, I didn't play those games nearly as much as Civ IV so I haven't memorized many of the quotes.

"War does not determine who is right... only who is left." - Wadsworth, Fallout 3

I'm pretty sure some historical figure said that, but it's a joke in FO3.

"There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt." - Dawn of War series

There are just so many awesome quotes in the Dawn of War games.

"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word."

"War does not determine who is right... only who is left." - Wadsworth, Fallout 3

I think it was Bertrand Russell. I can't quite remember though. I tired to confirm via google but not much was coming up. I actually kept getting hits for in-game quotes.

Oh god. I almost forgot about these conversations! So effing hilarious!!!

Jesus, that link made me crap my pants because I laughed so hard. Now I gotta clean up...

God... those are from what, 1994 or so? Funny stuff though :D!

'Join the army,' they said."
"'See the world,' they said."
"I'd rather be sailing."

"Stop that incessant clicking!"

Warcraft II. Good times. :)

i think this quote was also in flashpoint if you died.

Also... who can forget

"Want some Rye? Course ya do."

"Blow it out your ass!"
"It's time to abort your whole freaking species!"
"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum!"
"I'll rip off your head and shit down your neck."

I'm sure you can guess who said all of those :)

Back