Intel's New Mobile cpus?

J_I_M_B_O

Limp Gawd
I am so confused. Is the Yonah the new mobile cpu? Or is it the Core Duo? Or what?

Yonah is Core Duo.

Merom, is the new one coming this summer/fall. There is no series name for it yet.

I was going to build a pentium-M mini pc, but not if it'll be obsolete soon!

J_I_M_B_O said:
I was going to build a pentium-M mini pc, but not if it'll be obsolete soon!

Well, Yonah won't run on Pentium-M motherboards. AOPEN is the only manufacturer who has released a Yonah motherboard and it's not available in the US yet. As to being obsolete soon, that depends on what you mean by obsolete. Yonah/Core Duo is a...errrr dual core processor. Some enthusiasts have high hopes for Yonah. There is an ongoing thread at XS. A bunch of guys are getting Yonah boards over there. They should be posting their results sometime in the next few days.

I just wonder how big the perfromance gap will be between the Yonah and the Merom

J_I_M_B_O said:
I just wonder how big the perfromance gap will be between the Yonah and the Merom

About 20% or so because Merom is the mobile version of Conroe. Yonah is 32-bit.

merom looks great... i'm gonna be upgrading my current Dell 700m (a Dothan) to a Merom as a Christmas 2006 (maybe delayed to spring 2007) present for myself :) That chip is gonna rock!

brucedeluxe169 said:
merom looks great... i'm gonna be upgrading my current Dell 700m (a Dothan) to a Merom as a Christmas 2006 (maybe delayed to spring 2007) present for myself :) That chip is gonna rock!

IIRC Merom will have the same pin configuration as Yonah, meaning that it won't work with your Dothan mobo.

maxxo said:
IIRC Merom will have the same pin configuration as Yonah, meaning that it won't work with your Dothan mobo.

ahh yea, i shoulda been clearer, i meant that i would upgrade my whole entire notebooke :) this one is beat up and falling apart anyways, and a whole year is more than enough to save up the 1200 (what i wanna spend max) for my new notebook

Oh Dumo, you did beautiful work with Socket 939's, so I can't wait to see what you do with Yonah!

Bao01 said:
Well, Yonah won't run on Pentium-M motherboards. AOPEN is the only manufacturer who has released a Yonah motherboard and it's not available in the US yet. As to being obsolete soon, that depends on what you mean by obsolete. Yonah/Core Duo is a...errrr dual core processor. Some enthusiasts have high hopes for Yonah. There is an ongoing thread at XS. A bunch of guys are getting Yonah boards over there. They should be posting their results sometime in the next few days.
Yonah and Merom are also pin to pin compatable so i don't think it will be obsolete as soon as you think.

Duke3d87 said:
Yonah and Merom are also pin to pin compatable so i don't think it will be obsolete as soon as you think.

Some people may consider Yonah obsolete soon because

(1) Conroe/Merom will perform better.

(2) Yonah is 32-bit.

My own opinion is Yonah will not be obsolete much sooner than K8. It's going to be a while before 32-bit gets long in the tooth. As I said, it depends on what you mean by obsolete.

I am expecting Yonah boards like the Aopen to support Merom. Supposedly, the Aopen board is limited to 265Mhz FSB because of some reason related to Yonah but maybe not with Merom. So, I imagine upgrading to Merom on those boards if it becomes a reality might make for some interesting OCs because the stock FSB. Just speculation.

Back